D&D 5E Official complete background list!

Li Shenron

Legend
Thus Sailor and Hermit are the only real additions to playtest backgrounds.

Not easy yet to say if some backgrounds have been cut. I think that Guide and Bounty Hunter could have been folded under Outlander, but then it means probably the former's trait/feature has taken over and the latter's is no more.

I was hoping to have at least a Merchant background, because it's a fairly normal profession and role in society, and it doesn't fit under any other of the list.

jadrax

Adventurer
Not easy yet to say if some backgrounds have been cut. I think that Guide and Bounty Hunter could have been folded under Outlander, but then it means probably the former's trait/feature has taken over and the latter's is no more.

If so, I hope it reappears. I really liked the bounty board. Although I suppose I could just add them to the campaign as a resource for everyone.

I was hoping to have at least a Merchant background, because it's a fairly normal profession and role in society, and it doesn't fit under any other of the list.

It has both types of merchant, Charlatan and Criminal. ;o)

Ashr

First Post
Bounty Hunter was pretty neat. Commoner and Artisan were both fun too for some people. Hope they bring them back in later releases.

Last edited:

The Hitcher

Explorer

Why would a merchant become a murder ho... *cough* I mean adventurer? They've already worked out that there are far safer ways of re-appropriating wealth.

To be honest that is a pretty disappointingly short list. There is a real lack of common character types missing too, ie Peasant/Farmer ~ 90% of the population in a medieval milieu, the standard for D&D and FR, the standard campaign. And no, Folk Hero is not the same.

Merchant? Herder?

Backgrounds are a cool thing for 5E but that is a crappily short list IMO

Remove ads