• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Official D&D Basic Discussion Thread

Agamon

Adventurer
No. That's wrong.

I can spend ten dollars, by spending at least 5 dollars twice in a row.

Dude, come on. This is greater than or equals signs, not a hard concept to understand.

Thanks for the single-minded response to my inclusive post. You're right, we should all be playing exactly like you.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Looking through the spell lists, I was noticing that material components were back (YAY!).

They are and they aren't. As described in chapter 10, a character can use an arcane focus or a component pouch in lieu of components without a price. So the flavour is there, but so is the hand-wavey "I got everything I need right here" way of avoiding it.

For most spell casters, the only components they ever need to worry about are those with a gp value.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
This is clearly a small strategic change: move more skills under class to slightly strengthen archetypes.

BTW, previously backgrounds granted 3 skills and classes granted 1 skill (or 3 Rogue, Bard and maybe Ranger). So they just shifted 1 skill from background to class, the total number remains the same.

Now I have to go check your PC in PbP to see how many skills profs you gave yourself :cool:

I trusted that you already had done so. No? :cool:

(The Ranger class gave 3 skills in the "091913 Classes.pdf" playtest file. Maybe it does the same again in the PHB, which isn't released yet.)

A short rest is a period of downtime of at least one hour.

A long rest is a period of extended downtime of at least 8 hours.

Using advanced math skills we can infer that a short rest duration is between 1 and 8 hours. Less than an hour doesn't qualify, and 8 hours or more counts as a long rest.

After one hour has passed, the short rest will continue until something more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, or tending wounds takes place. So if the party wishes to explore a hallway, and search an empty room, then take another short rest they can.

That is how I read it.

Using advanced math skills we can infer that a short rest duration is between 1 and 8 hours. Less than an hour doesn't qualify, and 8 hours or more counts as a long rest.

After one hour has passed, the short rest will continue until something more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, or tending wounds takes place. So if the party wishes to explore a hallway, and search an empty room, then take another short rest they can.

That is how I read it.

That is indeed how it reads. Unfortunately that means short rests are a bizarre metagame concept, because there's no explanation given for why stopping resting for a few minutes (even seconds) to perform a game-mechanic-involving activity would magically allow you to rest again.

There's also zero benefit to resting more than 1hr, so it's really strange to even suggest that it's still a "rest".

Prism

Explorer
They are and they aren't. As described in chapter 10, a character can use an arcane focus or a component pouch in lieu of components without a price. So the flavour is there, but so is the hand-wavey "I got everything I need right here" way of avoiding it.

For most spell casters, the only components they ever need to worry about are those with a gp value.

I am hoping that's how they do the eldritch knight, by adding martial weapon as an arcane focus so basically you can use your sword to hurl spells

DDNFan

Banned
Banned

That is how I read it.

Or, a person can simply declare that they are no longer resting, then starting resting anew. Logically, there are two separate periods of rest, it is totally arbitrary and the game rules do not specify any limitation other than "at least an hour".

So ANY one hour period of rest is sufficient to count as a separate, unique period we will call "a short rest". If you wish to get all physical sim on the definition of resting, just do something else, like you said, do a push up and your rest has ended so you can start a new segment of time which is considered "rest #2"

Obryn

Hero
Or, a person can simply declare that they are no longer resting, then starting resting anew. Logically, there are two separate periods of rest, it is totally arbitrary and the game rules do not specify any limitation other than "at least an hour".

So ANY one hour period is sufficient to count as a short rest. If you wish to get all physical sim on the definition of resting, just do something else, like you said, do a push up and your rest has ended so you can start a new segment of time which is considered "rest #2"
This is a bag of rats you've brought to your table.

Remove ads