• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OGL game that could simulate Naruto or Bleach combat?

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Hmm, the more I think about this the more I think I could turn it into a full fledged game and get it out there on PDF for others to enjoy.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Dragonblade said:
Hmm, the more I think about this the more I think I could turn it into a full fledged game and get it out there on PDF for others to enjoy.

That'd be really cool if you could! I'd love to have a d20 game that simulated an anime-like battle. My one request would be that if be for normal (Fantasy) d20, and not an RPG of its own. Standard d20 needs more of this sort of thing.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
My campaign setting submission for WotC's contest back in the day was based on this idea too.

Unfortunately the basic concept is similar enough to Exalted that they probably would have kiboshed it because of that, assuming I even got out of the slushpile at all. :)

Its funny though, because I didn't know anything about Exalted when I wrote my submission. It wasn't until I showed a friend my submission that he told me it reminded him of Exalted. So I checked out Exalted myself. There were some similarities sure. I had lots of anime styled magi-tech artifacts from a bygone empire in my world too, for example. But I didn't have Lunars, Solars, Dragon-blooded or anything like that at all.

I did have constructs as a playable race, though. Apparently Keith Baker had the same idea, because we now have the Warforged.

Anyway, it would definitely be d20 based and probably not a standalone game. I think that the power construction rules from M&M would be helpful so I'd probably go Superlink/True20.

But based on everything I've heard about 4e, I think it would work extremely well as a 4e based campaign setting as well. But like everyone else, I don't know enough about 4e yet, or what the 4e SRD will look like.

Eidalac

Explorer
Hrm.

You might want to look at the martial adept classes from Tome of Battle. While I am certainly not of the view that the maneuvers are remotely anime, the way the maneuvers and stances work in the classes may be of interest to you.

Specifically, I'm thinking of the crusader, who starts each battle having access to only 1 of his maneuvers, gaining access to the others as the battle progresses. While it's a round based, random selection, the basic idea could be modified to work with a token building system - ie you have to pay X tokens per to unlock access to a maneuver/power of level Y in a given battle, but each character has there own list of known powers.

jedavis

First Post
There's a pdf on the D&Dwiki alternate rules page called the Book of Ki (at 99 pages, deserves the name). It gives ninja, samurai, monks, and rangers "techniques" which are rather similar to psionic powers (without the ability to spend more PP to gain bigger effects), and which has a mechanic somewhat similar to "start small, build up." As an action, one can withdraw ki points from storage, or certain triggers (such as taking damage, avoiding an attack, or making an attack) also "draw" ki points from storage to active. However, the grammar and definitions of effects are not very good, and some things are irrational (samurai being proficient with no armors, for example). Additionally, their build up mechanic is not precisely what you are looking for, in that casting a small power reduces one's ability to cast a large power later, rather than assisting it.

An interesting variant would be to make spending drawn ki points draw more ki points... might have to try that.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I will also echo the others when I hardily agree Mutants and Masterminds Second Edition is perfect for the style you are looking for. Not only is it very simple to use and create characters but combat is probably one of the smoothest devised for the d20 mechanic.

Of course, You cant go wrong with M&M for any genre.

my 2 pp
(power points)

Psychotic Jim

First Post
If you're wondering what the naruto characters might look like in M&M, there's a few writeups on the Atomic Think Tank (M&M's official messageboards) under Roll Call. Check out the anime and Taliesin's threads.

I think there was some kind of d20 naruto netbook floating around too. Not sure where it was though.

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Psychotic Jim said:
I think there was some kind of d20 naruto netbook floating around too. Not sure where it was though.

At www dot narutod20 dot com. Kinda hugemongous too. I think its around 600 something pages, most of which are jutsus (naturally).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dragonblade said:
I have the recently released 3rd edition, but can't find the d20 version anywhere.

Noble Knight games has several new copies of all three editions (d20 Original, d20 Revised, and d20 Limited Edition) in stock for reasonable prices.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads