Ok, now i'm REALLY CONFUSED. AKA, do any of you think you know what WotC is doing?

Well they sure are shaking things up.

Here's what I think I know (I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong on anything, so please do, but I'm trying to be accurate):

No more minis.

No more compiled Dungeon and Dragon.

Articles will be "fully" edited for Dungeon and Dragon now, but they may come out at any time...not on a real schedule per se.

Several major support books for 4e are cancelled.

There are three somewhat interactive/interlocking but not completely compatible lines (4e, Essentials, and Red Box)

It is unclear how much support each of these lines will get.

Character Builder is in a major shakeup/SNAFU.

Fortune Cards are a major new offering.

Board games and digital offerings may take an upswing.

Is there anything major about these recent (and in my opinion, drastic) changes that I've missed?

What do you all make of these changes?

amnuxoll

First Post
I'm as confused as you are. My instinct is that something big is afoot. We'll all know what it was by the time GenCon is over.

Also, I predict it can't be bad news. We've had enough of that already.

:AMN:
(eternal optimist)

JeffB

Legend
I gotta admit, though I've been one who historically thought WOTC was doing a great job with 4E, I' starting to have some serious doubts about what they are doing in the overall sense.

I'm not one to cry about the sky falling, but seems to me there is something negative going on behind the scenes. There has been too much weirdness in the past few months.

JeffB

Legend
Just wanted to add too- with the dropping of the books, and a focus on "accessories", "digital content", and "board games"- Not to mention the success of Paizo/PF using the previous version of the rules (albeit updated), I wouldn't be surprised with them announcing 5E for 2012 release at this years GenCon.

Or maybe they are shopping the brand around(?)

Who knows. Will be interesting to see.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
I was/am hoping that they're selling the brand. I was/am hoping that they're selling the brand to Paizo, but Erik's post in the other thread sure didn't sound like he knew what was going on at WOTC (or, perhaps, Mr. Mona has a poker face worthy of Rary...).

Kafen

First Post
What do you all make of these changes?

I believe... Hmm, I believe that WOTC has to focus and find its Zen spot. Be it a penguin in an icecave or some silly old man in a wizard hat on a coastal tower in some long forgotten red coast setting, it is time for something to shake loose on the ol' gal. Hopefully, it is merely a speed bump on the path to glory for them. Of course, it is possible that the speed bump merely makes the WoTC cookie crumble, but nobody benefits if that happens.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
What?! Dropping the compilations? That pisses me off. I don't need 500 hundred individual PDF files.

Subscriber data reveals this? Maybe people click on the original articles, but it takes all of a few seconds for them to compile it all together. Thats ridiculous.

I hate to say it, but with the crappy and nigh useless online builder and now this punch to the gut I think I might cancel my DDI subscription.

I really just don't know what to think about WotC's direction anymore. I like 4e in general but they sure are doing everything in their power to refuse my money. And this is pretty much my limit.

Remove ads