• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E OK OK. A *NOT* negative thread from me re: 4E

Sykopup

First Post
I can honestly say that, after looking for a bright spot in the whole 4E cloud that has fallen over a lot of us long time gamers (30 plus years myself), I have found one thing that really appeals to me about this new edition--I am going to save a LOT of money without switching to Geico. Of course, this savings comes from that fact that if it says 4E, I won't be buying it.

I would have been willing to give it a shot if WotC would have been up front about the whole thing and said "Yes, we have a 4th Edition in the works" instead of vehemently denying the whole thing while the work went on in secret. They should have respected the ones who have kept them in business from the beginning enough to tell us the truth.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Only three things? Meh... well, let's see what we have:

1) Sweet spot readjustment: That's great. Keeping the game fluid over the whole range of levels is a definite plus.

2) Defences: Okay, I really like a more unified system. This vibes will with simplification, makes play faster, and you don't lose anything.

3) Wizard implements: As a player of many wizards (okay, I DM more often, but still) - it's time they get something better as magic staff than battery with spells. That was always a pet peeve of mine.

Cheers, LT.

Vigilance

Explorer
1. The new monster write-up. Much simpler.

2. The 'blooded' condition and abilities that depend on it. The idea of a monster that gets more dangerous when its back is to the wall is seriously cool to me.

3. Promoting movement in combat as opposed to "I charge up to melee range then perform a full attack each round while standing toe to toe with the monster".

Vigilance

Explorer
Sykopup said:
I can honestly say that, after looking for a bright spot in the whole 4E cloud that has fallen over a lot of us long time gamers (30 plus years myself), I have found one thing that really appeals to me about this new edition--I am going to save a LOT of money without switching to Geico. Of course, this savings comes from that fact that if it says 4E, I won't be buying it.

I would have been willing to give it a shot if WotC would have been up front about the whole thing and said "Yes, we have a 4th Edition in the works" instead of vehemently denying the whole thing while the work went on in secret. They should have respected the ones who have kept them in business from the beginning enough to tell us the truth.

Seriously, MUST you people come and crap on EVERY positive thread?

Why are you so intent on making sure none of us looking forward to the game can have some fun and positivity.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Vigilance said:

Why are you so intent on making sure none of us looking forward to the game can have some fun and positivity.

*Samuel Jackson look*

"You people"?

Vigilance

Explorer
Wolfspider said:
*Samuel Jackson look*

"You people"?

Chuck Rice look.

Yeah, the people who hate 4e and who can't leave a single thread untouched by their unique viewpoint, even a thread that says "tell me what you LIKE".

Nice job attempting to godwin my point skippy.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Vigilance said:

I ask myself this very question just about every day.

MY top 3:

1. Streamlined monsters (3e's unified monster/PC system was innovative, consistent, and a pain in my ass. Let's try something a little more 'goals oriented' this time)

2. Per-encounter abilities

3. Death of the CR/EL system.

Awww, I never even got around to mentioning "less game effects of alignment" or "minimizing the almost intentionally anti-fun Vancian system".

Blackwind

Explorer
Well, I still have some reservations about 4E but here are my top three positives:

1. Reduced DM prep time. Less math, simpler statblocks, et al. This makes it easier for me to homebrew settings and adventures, making DMing much more fun and rewarding for me overall.

2. Extending the sweet spot. Hopefully my campaigns will now start out awesome at first level and stay awesome til 30th, rather than starting at 5th and crapping out at 13th or so.

3. Rules for complex social interactions. I think this will make my roleplaying encounters more fun, plus the PCs will know they're going to get XP and maybe even treasure for roleplaying, not just for killing monsters.

I also asked my 5th level human wizard what he liked so far about 4E and this is what he said:

1. The death of Vancian spellcasting! At-will and per-encounter abilities.

2. He can ditch his light crossbow and never look back.

3. +6 Staffs and 30th level spells!

Sykopup

First Post
Vigilance said:

I'm not sure why my opinion qualifies as crap in your mind, or how it will affect your ability to enjoy a game, so please disregard my post if it is going to ruin the rest of your life. I honestly hope that those of you who are looking forward to this newest edition truly enjoy it.

Vigilance

Explorer
Sykopup said:
I'm not sure why my opinion qualifies as crap in your mind, or how it will affect your ability to enjoy a game, so please disregard my post if it is going to ruin the rest of your life. I honestly hope that those of you who are looking forward to this newest edition truly enjoy it.

Dude, don't give yourself that much credit. You hardly affected my life.

I'm just honestly curious why you felt compelled to post your distaste of the system HERE.

Afraid there might be a thread where folks can bask in the warm glow of positive feelings for the new edition somewhere?

Or are you just a jerk who likes to threadcrap?

Remove ads