D&D 5E Old Vexed Question: All too Important Dexterity Stat and Finesse Weapons, namely the Rapier

Spohedus

Explorer
I want to add on that this is a problem on a white board, but not a problem on the table. The one house rule we have added is that initiative is the higher of DEX or INT bonus, which makes complete sense, and deals with how inferior INT is as a stat to provide points to. That being said, this house rule, plus standard released adventures having far more +1 Longswords or Battleaxes instead of +1 rapiers makes this a non-issue. PCs don't really want to deal 1/2 damage starting around level 5 onward.....

Consider the advantages to Athletics/Shove/Knock Prone/Resist restraining monster checks that come with high strength. Consider encumbrance. Consider actual AC options. It's not really an issue that needs to be dealt with. Let it ride.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Remove Archery Fighting Style. Replace with Weapon Thrower Style (+2 Dam & Double the range). Bring back the Axe and Hammer throwers.

Also Don't let the Dex monkeys parkour. Takes high Athletics to jump and climb well. (It takes Dex as well but core body strength is key).

I don't see any need to remove Archery, but the Weapon Thrower idea is good. However, I believe that RAW drawing a throwing weapon is a move action, which means weapon throwing caps at two attacks per round. Ergo, the ability should stipulate that the weapon thrower can draw and throw a weapon as part of the same action.

And, really, if parties actually exist where everyone makes strength a dump stat (and I still have seen no evidence that such parties exist) simply apply the "stiff doors" rule: DC 10 strength check to open every single dungeon door.

Yardiff

Adventurer
(and I still have seen no evidence that such parties exist)

I don't remember who it was but someone said they had a group where the highest str was 10. It was in this forum in an earlier thread on the same subject.

Could have been Hussar or maybe Harzel.

Last edited:

Not sure what you mean by this. There's no such thing as a "move action" in 5E.

Not by name. However, in 5e "you can draw a single weapon as part of your move". Thus a throwing weapon user could throw the weapon in hand, then draw and throw a second with the "extra attack" feature. However, a fighter would not be able to take advantage of a third attack unless they where duel wielding or had the duel wielder feet.

I don't remember who it was but someone said they had a group where the highest str was 10. It was in this forum in an earlier thread on the same subject.

Could have been Hussar or maybe Harzel.

Then such a party would very likely be stuffed, without having to make any rule changes. For example, TftYP p99 6. Turnstile: "a strong character could rip it out with a successful DC 24 Strength (Athletics) check" TftYP P75 21. Stone Block: "can be pushed by the combined effort of up to four characters with a combined Strength of 45". Such obstacles are common in the average dungeon.

DragonKnight88

Explorer
:lol: The majority of the arguments I have seen have no true validity.

1. Its a fantasy game.
2. Review statement 1.
3. Dex built characters are hard to hit, but will never reach the damage potential of Strength based or specific character concepts without multiclasssing. That being said, i feel this entire topic is taking a molehill and turning it into a mountain.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
We just had a session where we found a suit of magical Chainmail.

Unfortunately no one has high strength so we can't make use of it.

The same is likely to happen if we find a magic weapon as most of them are strength based.

Remove ads