• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On being a Professional GM

FireLance

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
Of course, since it's a feature, not a trait, it's generally retained when they become Adult [Augmented Kid]...

-Hyp.
I hadn't realised kid was a type. I thought it was a condition.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
My friends and I often talk about this. We wonder if we will still be gaming when we are in our sixties and seventies and if we will be viewed by the younger generations in the same way we look at older men now who hang out in the park and play dominoes and checkers.

As to playing with Kids, I kind of enjoyed it. A very good friend of mine asked me to run a game for his kids and a few of their friends a few years ago. This was to be an introduction for them into the wonderful game as none of them had actually done it before.

For me it was a great experience. To this day, some five years later, each of them still talks about it. A couple of them have since graduated high school and a couple of the others are just now getting into high school, so the age range was fairly diverse. To my knowledge all of them except the girl are still active gamers (though the girl has become quite the active gothling).

It was lighthearted of course, and I do seem to remember a good degree of fart jokes and bizarre character concepts, but it was all fun and I know they had a blast. I started them out with a very rules lite version of the game and slowly over the course of a few months incorporated new rules until by the end we were playing full 3E.

It is unfortunate that Teflon had such a trying experience. I really enjoyed my experience, and I even take a bit of pride at recruiting those new players.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The Other Librarian said:
gm: You come face to face with the terrifying dragon. What do you do?
ss: I wet myself.
gm: Ha! No seriously what do you want to do?
ss: No, seriously, I just wet myself.

That's the funniest thing I have read all day. kudos.

Imagicka

Explorer
Greetings...

Katerek said:
Well I wont discuss the actual amount, but it is an adequate amount. I get paid twice a month. I get an hourly rate for the time spent on the sessions plus they pay me an equivalent of four hours for development time each week. Basically, after taxes it works out to be enough to cover the cost of my smokes, gas (which is nice since I have a 35 mile commute for this and my other job), and provides me enough to feed my game habit.
Oh my! If your anything like me, and all the other DMs I know... then they must pay you well. :D I know that my gaming habit is something akin to a heroin junkie.

Remove ads