On Change, Old School, New School, Same School, and High School.

Darrell

First Post
All this stuff is pain to move. In the movie Fight Club, Tyler Durden says: "The more stuff you own the more it ends up owning you." It's so true. I move about every 2 years or so. And it really is a pain. I also have to maintain all this stuff. I hate selling it. When I had to "downsize" my 3e books because of financial problems it hurt. But once those books were gone, I actually felt relieved.

Pretty much the same, here. I recently adopted B/X D&D as my 'one and only' system, and one of the driving forces in my decision was that, rather than carting around a bunch of heavy books when I move, I now move the equivalent of 2 'magazine-sized' books and a restaurant menu (my home-made DM screen)...well, that and my dice, and a USB stick with character sheets and such on it.

I shuttle frequently between living/working environments (staying at each for several months at a time), and have three 'regular' groups depending on where I'm living at the moment. Each group is made up of a mix of older and younger players, and in each case, I'm the only DM.

Each of the three groups agreed with my decision to game under the older edition (one even suggested it to me). We had played and enjoyed 3.X (and one group has been together since 2e), and had tried, but neither group really enjoyed, 4e. I purchased an old copy of the Moldvay 'Basic' book, and ran a 'nostalgia' game with it, and my group liked it better than 3e or 4e, and they suggested that we make it our regular gaming 'engine.' We did, and never looked back.

I tried this approach with my other two groups, and both agreed to try using B/X for our games, and it has worked out better in each instance. Now, it's much easier to 'shuttle' between games, since there isn't nearly as much to transport.

Our switch, by the way, was not due to B/X being a "mullet," but because play was faster (particularly combat), and seemed more intuitive somehow, even for the younger players.

Regards,
Darrell

mlund

First Post
Yeah, I'd have to say that I had a very different journey as well. I grew up in a former factory town about 20 miles out of Boston. I received fantasy books and RPG material from family members early on, but really lacked the social skills necessary to participate in a group until I was in high school. I got to go to a variety of schools, public, private, and parochial before I graduated. I also got to play RPGs as well as CCGs, chess, video, and computer games. Once I got into college I really started to appreciate the appeal of face-to-face or at least avatar-to-avatar social gaming experience with RL friends.

Learning to think about life in terms of people and relationships rather than objects really curbed a lot of my impulses to constantly move from place to place and thing to thing. Now that I'm getting on towards 30 it really bothers me that I don't know most of my neighbor's names. I neither pity nor envy people who have never moved away from their home town, but I do appreciate the huge benefits you can get from keeping your friends and family close and really bonding with a particular place or community. I also reflect back on what my parents did and taught me and realize that I was being foolish and mindlessly reactionary in those times where I tried to throw off whatever they'd given me out of hand.

Frankly, I think my experiences gaming really helped give me that appreciation. Growing up I had a very adversarial outlook on life. I had a lot of immature childhood tormentors and while I appreciated adult company I wasn't a peer and I didn't have a lot in common with the adults in my family in terms of interests. Consequently getting to know people was really difficult and my relationships with most folks were shallow. Games helped me open up dialogue over a common interest. The shared experiences helped me deepen relationships with other people. Accordingly, my solo gaming declined and my social gaming increased a lot.

Now I'm proud to be a husband, a home owner, a community volunteer, and hope to become father. I don't think the pre-social-gaming Marty (the kid stuck on 1 player Nintendo and competitive Chess) would've ever been able to grok just what that all really means.

When it comes to games, I have my preferences, but the biggest concern is always going to be, "What can we all enjoy and share?" Right now that means 4th Edition D&D, because a lot of my friends are all sharing the experience of exploring a new edition and a new realms. It gives us a lot to talk about. I've still got a semi-regular 3.5 game too because a good friend enjoys running it. The best game system in the world is no good to me without decent friends and associated to play it with.

- Marty Lund

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
Joe, thanks for that OP. To be honest, I wasn't interested in the topic, but your name recently started to rear my head when you wrote that satirical imitation of the Greg Leeds interview. You're most certainly not without creative talent (to respond to st. you said above).

It was nice to read more about yourself. I think your OP captures really well one thing I haven't seen mentioned much on these boards: the sheer joy of passing an edition by for the first time. (And I mean joy - a calm, fulfilling emotion - and not the sort of rage and spite we've seen everywhere.) I guess it must be odd to read for some of the older players who've given 2E or 3E a pass. As for myself, I'm only half there since I've retained 3E as my game of choice but thoroughly enjoy the occasional 4E game.

Thanks for your post again, and I look forward to reading more of your stuff.

Thank you very much. That's really nice of you to say. :)

Festivus

First Post
Interesting. I wonder what the age spread for favored editions is (wasn't there a poll on this?)

I am in my mid 40s, played the heck out of OD&D/AD&D though junior high school and then stopped in high school (before 2E came out). I didn't return until 3.5ed had been out for about 2 years. I tend to like 4E more than 3.5, and I wonder if it's because I identify more with it, and it being closer to OD&D than 3.5 seems to be with it's rules for everything.

I'll go back and read your post in more detail later, but very thought provoking Joe, thanks in advance for sharing.

Remove ads