Pathfinder 1E on hold - One by land, two by sea-Pathfinder RPG-OOC

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Is there a way to convert from one to another?

I may need to find a tutorial on how to properly make a PDF as plan 'B'

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Adobe Acrobat [.PDF] vs. OpenOffice vs. Dundjinni

There are lots of programs out there that give you the option of saving files in the .pdf format. However, most of them are next to worthless, and don't even come close to utilizing the potential of the format. The "be-all/end-all" of .PDFs is Adobe Acrobat, but it is very, very pricey, so unless you're made of money like [MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION] you might as well forget about that option. There are a growing number of clones of wildly differing capabilities and usefulness, one of which is, I think, OpenOffice, which you and I have discussed before, DeWar. I have still not yet fully explored the potentialities of OpenOffice. I learned how to use it to fill my immediate need, which was using its spreadsheet capabilities to make maps for my games, and then I stopped my exploration.

In a similar vein, I have flirted with the idea on several occasions of buying a dedicated RPG software package. There are several out there, but for my tastes, Dundjinni looked like the best buy, at least at that time, several months ago. It is still for sale at the price of $39.95, not that much, I guess, but more than I want to drop on a program that does the same thing as software available for free, like OpenOffice.

But, giving credit where it is due, my own mapping techniques were learned from [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION], who taught me how you can turn a common, everyday spreadsheet into a formidable dungeon! All you have to do is first adjust the column widths to be equal to the height of a line of data, which PRESTO! gives you a grid of squares otherwise known as graph paper. Then you use the program to draw borders around whichever cells in the grid you wish, which is like drawing lines on the graph paper, and you can even put numbers or letters in some squares to be room identifiers. A double line border in one square of a room can represent a door quite effectively, and so on. And then there are the myriad possibilities of colors, different textures, symbols, ad nauseum. Your own creativity is the only limit of which I am aware for the countless ways that OpenOffice can be made to admirably serve the many and varied needs of the diabolical DM/GM.

One more note about using spreadsheet mapping -- as near as I've been able to tell so far, you can just keep widening the columns to make squares until Asmodeus is caught in a blizzard. There is, functionally at least, no limit to the width/length of your piece of "graph paper" in OpenOffice.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
.. .. ..EDIT .. .. ..

But, giving credit where it is due, my own mapping techniques were learned from @Scotley , who taught me how you can turn a common, everyday spreadsheet into a formidable dungeon! All you have to do is first adjust the column widths to be equal to the height of a line of data, which PRESTO! gives you a grid of squares otherwise known as graph paper. Then you use the program to draw borders around whichever cells in the grid you wish, which is like drawing lines on the graph paper, and you can even put numbers or letters in some squares to be room identifiers. A double line border in one square of a room can represent a door quite effectively, and so on. And then there are the myriad possibilities of colors, different textures, symbols, ad nauseum. Your own creativity is the only limit of which I am aware for the countless ways that OpenOffice can be made to admirably serve the many and varied needs of the diabolical DM/GM.

.. .. .. EDIT .. .. .. ..

I have a map of the ware house. Just as you described. It is just that the .XLS thai i have available is not an accepted format. I looks good, just that EN world won't let me use it.

**SIGH**

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Most software packages will actually let you print a file as a PDF. I know that Word and Excel will allow this, and I assume OpenOffice will as well. Once you've got your map the way you want it, just choose Print from the menu (not the quick print button), and change the Printer selection to "Print as PDF" or whatever is similar in the program you're using.

I like fancy maps, but don't do them as PDFs. I typically save the maps from the adventure PDF as a .jpg file (Acrobat Reader, which is free, will usually allow this depending on the level of DRM protection on the file), then use a drawing/photo-editing program to edit it. You can find decent graphics editors free.

Excel/OpenOffice also work, and I've got nothing against them at all! The maps that Scotley and Leif make serve their purpose very well - I just like to play around a little more.

MikeL uses a hybrid of the two - he takes the .jpg from the adventure PDF then puts it into an Excel file for his grid. This also works pretty well.

Scotley

Hero
You can use open office to convert between different spreadsheet formats if you wish. I have MS office as well. I'll be happy to convert anything you want and upload it if that will help. Just email it to me.

You can also download a print to .pdf utility. Get it from www.ninite.com Go to the website and select 'cute pdf'. This will install an new 'printer' on your machine. Once done, go you your spreadsheet program and tell it to print then choose cute pdf as you printer. It will pop up and ask you where you want to save the file as a .pdf.

You can also get open office or libre office from ninite. Paint.net is a useful basic image editing program if you decide to make your maps into .jpg's instead of .pdf's The trick there is you have to put the number and letter grids in the first row and column of boxes as the ones in the spreadsheet won't easily copy and then past into paint.net. I wish you could make a trip to Memphis for a little map making class. I'd have you straight on all this in a couple hours. Feel free to email me questions.

The advantage of getting these programs from www.ninite.com rather than elsewhere on the web is that it strips out any extra crap they try to download like tool bars and automates the whole process.

Leif

Adventurer
I have a map of the ware house. Just as you described. It is just that the .XLS thai i have available is not an accepted format. I looks good, just that EN world won't let me use it.

**SIGH**
I always have used .xls map files here in the past and I continue to do so now. Maybe there is something hinky about your personal settings for ENWorld?

Remove ads