On warning points...

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
We have a record of "active" warning points that haven't expired, and of all warnings given over time, and when they were given. And links to the posts that earned the warning....

Morrus prefer to work with the total warnings given over all time.

Out of curiosity is it just the total number looked at or is the rate those points accumulate also looked at. Example: Say one person has 10 in 5 years for a rate of 2 warning point per year. Another person has 5 in 1 year for a rate of 5 warning points in 1 year? (Or maybe the rate is based on posts instead of years?)

FrogReaver

We consider each case on its individual merits and issues, such that there's no single answer to that.

First of all I appreciate that you gave any response at all. That said I’m walking away from this feeling like I have no greater understanding on the topic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
First of all I appreciate that you gave any response at all. That said I’m walking away from this feeling like I have no greater understanding on the topic.

Yeah. The point is that decisions about bans are not formulaic - there's consideration of the person's behavior overall. Since there's so many different ways someone can be a jerk, we can't give a single answer on what matters.

FrogReaver

Yeah. The point is that decisions about bans are not formulaic - there's consideration of the person's behavior overall. Since there's so many different ways someone can be a jerk, we can't give a single answer on what matters.

appreciate the response but seems like you are trying to answer something I’m not trying to ask. I fully agree decisions about bans don’t need to be formulaic. I’m not asking for a spelled out formula on bans.

All I’m trying to ask is of warning points are ever viewed in any other context than by looking at the total number, one alternative example being to look at warning points per 1000 posts (again just an example).

I don’t want to go round and round on this. That’s not my intent. Just wanted to make sure my actual question was clear. Feel free to respond however you deem appropriate. I won’t be asking my question again or going back and forth with you on it no matter how you choose to respond.

Nebulous

Legend
Mod edit:

Trying to discuss ways to evade moderators right in front of said moderators was... unwise on your part. I mean, really, dude?

~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

aco175

Legend
I'm on my 3rd one ;)
1597941856343.png

- that is supposed to be an evil laugh, not creepy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
All I’m trying to ask is of warning points are ever viewed in any other context

I get it. I am trying to address it without leaving you with something that is misleading.

Are they ever looked at in other ways? Yes. Is this a major determiner of how moderation proceeds? Maybe yes, maybe no, for any particular case.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s not just the number of warnings.

Things like how many accumulated in a given window of time is a factor, as is the exact nature of the warning. For example, someone who occasionally drops an F-bomb will probably have more leeway than someone with the same number of warnings who repeatedly uses bigoted slurs, who posts NSFW imagery or pirated intellectual property.

There’s also contrition to take into account. Occasionally, someone simply messes up. Years ago, I got a week’s ban from Umbran for saying something about a religion. It wasn’t anything I actually believed, I just got sloppy with my composition and wound up slandering a billion people by accident. But I said it, and the punishment was deserved, since the mods are not mind readers. They can only work with the stuff on the screen.

But I also publically apologized for what I posted.* So the moderation staff realized there probably wouldn't be a repeat of that incident.

*Which, amusingly, got me dinged for commenting on moderation in public. 😂

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Plus- just to be clear- sometimes things get reported or noticed a long time after they get posted. In many cases, unless it’s egregious, no action is taken.

But that does not mean it is ignored. It may still be taken into account if it’s part of a particular pattern of moddable behavior.

So, do not take for granted that a lack of visible moderator action means a lack of moderator interest or concern.

Remove ads