• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
They might just be simplifying spells prepared all around. Much easier to have prepped spells equal spell slots. But that would cut down on the wizard's versatility a bit. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
You could be correct but using two terms for the same thing is kind of confusing. It does make it more backwards compatible 2014 book however.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You could be correct but using two terms for the same thing is kind of confusing. It does make it more backwards compatible 2014 book however.
Uhm...it's not using two terms for the same thing. The number of prepared spells matches the number of spell slots you can cast in a day, but they don't mean the same thing.

So Rangers get the same number of spell slots as spell prepared? That keeps it simple. Taking a guess that Wizards will get more spells prepared than spell slots giving them greater flexibility. Guess they will get more slots than Rangers.
I think they'll have a different or boosted mechanism re: spell preparation. My expectation is something like they have memorization equal to slots AND they can cast any spell from their spellbook so long as it's present, maybe PB/long rest times (or even just all the time at some kind of minor cost).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Thinking on it though, the players now vs then, a non magic Ranger might see better acceptance.

Then being at the next playtest and all of D&D before this stage in 5e.

I honestly think (in particular with them grouped together as "experts") that they should take a page from the Rogue's Arcane Trickster - make the core Ranger spell-less, and make a solid Subclass that uses Primal Magic.

Haplo781

Legend
So Rangers get the same number of spell slots as spell prepared? That keeps it simple. Taking a guess that Wizards will get more spells prepared than spell slots giving them greater flexibility. Guess they will get more slots than Rangers.
According to the Next playtest, players don't like having too many choices to make in combat. I can see the Wizard's versatility coming from having the biggest spell list (the entire Arcane list).

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Uhm...it's not using two terms for the same thing. The number of prepared spells matches the number of spell slots you can cast in a day, but they don't mean the same thing.
I misspoke, two different words and meanings to represent the same thing in game terms. So why not use one term? This is why I theorized that that could change in a future class that we have yet to see or to be backwards compatible? Maybe I am just reading too much into this, lol.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I honestly think (in particular with them grouped together as "experts") that they should take a page from the Rogue's Arcane Trickster - make the core Ranger spell-less, and make a solid Subclass that uses Primal Magic.
I really think they either need to do this or split the ranger into two classes - one that’s a caster and one that isn’t. There’s just no way a single class is going to satisfy what everyone wants from the ranger, especially when the casting and non-casting camps are so thoroughly entrenched.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I really think they either need to do this or split the ranger into two classes - one that’s a caster and one that isn’t. There’s just no way a single class is going to satisfy what everyone wants from the ranger, especially when the casting and non-casting camps are so thoroughly entrenched.
The non-casting camp should win, IMNSHO. You can always add spells through subclass(es) or multiclassing, but you can’t take it away.

Remove ads

Remove ads