• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure --on 3pp product "glut" 4e / 3e

Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet, where you can persue through reviews and ask advice on many products, then shop in your fuzzy slippers as well at variety of online venues.

I mean, have you looked through WotC's 3.5 libarary of books? There's a load of stinkers there as well as good stuff. But that takes time too.

I don't have a credit card, so shopping requires bus travel to a FLGS. They appreciate the support too.

Also, I haven't bought a lot of WotC books, on the grounds that most aren't something I'm interested in. (There was way too much splat PrC bloat.)

drothgery

First Post
I don't have a credit card, so shopping requires bus travel to a FLGS.

I always find this odd when I hear it. Unless Canadian banks are a lot different than their US counterparts, you pretty much get a debit card that works as a credit card by default with a checking account. And if you're a working adult, it's pretty hard to function without a checking account.

Last edited:

carmachu

Adventurer
I don't have a credit card, so shopping requires bus travel to a FLGS. They appreciate the support too.

Also, I haven't bought a lot of WotC books, on the grounds that most aren't something I'm interested in. (There was way too much splat PrC bloat.)

Most online shops also take paypal accounts, and you dont necessarily need a credit card.....

FLGS can kiss my rear end. At lest locally.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
What was SO bad about the "glut' of schlock that accompanied the quality products early on in 3e's release?

Most notably, the early glut of poorly conceived and designed third-party products hurt brick and mortar stores. Many stores ended up having to sell such product at a loss, because they were so horribly bad that nobody in their right mind would pay full retail price for them.

4e fans, would you prefer a TON of products for 4e (with the risk of a substantial amount of junk) or the somewhat scant amount that is being offerred presently by 3pps?

I'm not really a fan of 4e (I don't own it, in fact), but I am a fan of my local brick and mortar game stores. In that regard, I'd rather have the limited number of seemingly quality 4e products currently available than mountains of crap punctuated by the occassional worthwhile product.

Last edited:

13garth13

First Post
I always find this odd when I hear it. Unless Canadaian banks are a lot different than their US counterparts, you pretty much get a debit card that works as a credit card by default with a checking account. And if you're a working adult, it's pretty hard to function without a checking account.

To the best of my knowledge (which is fairly limited, I will grant you), what you find so hard to believe is in fact the actual case. Both my Steinbach Credit Union debit card (Winnipeg, MB) and Royal Bank of Canada debit card function as a debit card only (good at stores, ATMs etc, but NOT useful as a credit card, i.e. good luck trying to use your debit card to buy something on amazon.ca etc etc). It was only upon moving to the States a few years ago that my new bank down here gave me a debit card with a VISA logo that acted as a cheque card/credit card.

Cheers,
Colin

Bumbles

First Post
Yes, running a business is really hard.

For crying out loud. I mean... seriously. Good. Grief.

? I'm not sure where you're going here. Is there some point you're trying to make that I'm missing?

Mine was explaining that dilemma that FLGSs are in. I'm not sure what yours is. Could you clarify?

As for buying online. I don't like it, and I rarely do it. Reading reviews just doesn't come close to looking at a book myself, and even a free sample is rarely enough.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
? I'm not sure where you're going here. Is there some point you're trying to make that I'm missing?

I could be wrong, but I think he meant to imply that being informed about those things actually isn't very difficult and that a lot of game store owners simply don't try very hard to seek out easily obtained, readily available, information about their respective markets (or let their own preferences dictate store purchasing policies).

There is, for example, a trade magazine specifically for game retailers, an entire professional trade association for retailers, and so on. In my experience, though, if you ask your typical FLGS owner what GAMA is and or what things like Game Trade are, they'll just give you a blank stare because they don't know.

I know that anecdote isn't worth much from an evidienciary standpoint, but I've seen a few dozen game stores go down the tubes because the owners and employees didn't try to be informed and because they stocked product based on what they personally liked, rather than what consumers were willing to buy.

Bumbles

First Post
I could be wrong, but I think he meant to imply that being informed about those things actually isn't very difficult and that a lot of game store owners simply don't try very hard to seek out easily obtained, readily available, information about their respective markets (or let their own preferences dictate store purchasing policies).

If so, then I humbly disagree as my experiences don't quite mesh with that.. Sure there is a great deal of information available, I've actually read some of it myself, and discussed it with the owner of the FLGS. This doesn't make it easy. It's still a good bit of work to keep up to date, not just on a few narrow interests, but on lots of products.

Heck, even knowing what sodas to order is something to worry about. The local soda distributor doesn't take returns just because nobody bought that Peach Flavored Fanta.

So I'm inclined to be understanding of the position that FLGS, and really any small-business owners are in.

I know that anecdote isn't worth much from an evidienciary standpoint, but I've seen a few dozen game stores go down the tubes because the owners and employees didn't try to be informed and because they stocked product based on what they personally liked, rather than what consumers were willing to buy.

Been to those places too. We've had a few stores in the area with the same problem. Emphasis on the past tense. But the store I go to the most is one where I have talked with the owner and she is very interested in selling the customers what they want. Unfortunately, there are some "customers" who want things, but then don't get them, which is why sometimes she has to not order stuff because it'll just sit on the shelves instead.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
If so, then I humbly disagree as my experiences don't quite mesh with that.. Sure there is a great deal of information available, I've actually read some of it myself, and discussed it with the owner of the FLGS. This doesn't make it easy.

That's what trade shows, retailer associations, and trade magazines are for. Thos things do make staying informed easy. Ask your FLGS manager if she knows what GAMA is, if she's a member, if she or her employees attend trade shows, and if she subscribes to trade magazines (e.g., Game Trade). If she doesn't know what these things are, she should. Similarly, if she's not utilizing these resources, she should be. If does know about these resources and isn't utilizing them then, really, she has nobody but herself to blame for not being informed.

I know about these things and have utilized them as much as I can, despite my never having owned or managed a retail game store. As a result, I've known more about the business side of games than many game store owners or managers that I've met in the past. These resources are very easily accessible. You can sign up for a GAMA account here, after which all of the organization's resources will be available to you. You can subscribe to Game Trade Magazine here or simply do a quick 'pulse' check on the industry's top-selling games at brick and mortar stores here. It really is not difficult.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads