D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
An 11th level fighter can kill a T-Rex with, on average, 8 well-placed crossbow shots. On average, they will kill the T-Rex within 12 seconds. The T-Rex will have almost zero chance of killing the 11th level fighter within the same timespan.

The core of 5e combat is the scaling between damage output and NPC hit points. There's no coherent narrative that allows for high Tier 2 and above combat to make sense without having entirely supernatural PC participants.
Which is why that supernatural state should be in the books. Stop being so wishy-washy about it.

Micah Sweet

Mistaken on both counts. The Feywild is part of the Great Wheel default setting. Its not a separate Material Plane, like Faerun versus Eberron, but rather an attached plane, like the Near Ethereal or the Shadow Plane. So, yes, its part of the default setting.

And Legendary creatures aren't
Have they ever done that? (Sorry about accidentally deleting part of your post).

Mephista

Adventurer
Have they ever done that? (Sorry about accidentally deleting part of your post).
WotC? Not that I'm aware of. They don't really make orcs or goblinoids past CR 3~4; there's only one, a hobgoblin warlord at CR 6, and they don't even get to be a Legendary. Wizards doesn't think much of them

3PP? Yes, there is. In the particular case I'm thinking, it was the result of a blessing of Gruumph via ritual done by clerics, or however you spell it. Clerics blessed the land, and control was given to the warlord through a McGuffin in crown shape.

Micah Sweet

WotC? Not that I'm aware of. They don't really make orcs or goblinoids past CR 3~4; there's only one, a hobgoblin warlord at CR 6, and they don't even get to be a Legendary. Wizards doesn't think much of them

3PP? Yes, there is. In the particular case I'm thinking, it was the result of a blessing of Gruumph via ritual done by clerics, or however you spell it. Clerics blessed the land, and control was given to the warlord through a McGuffin in crown shape.
Cool, although the cleric stuff makes the whole thing supernatural to my mind.

Mephista

Adventurer
Describing the different supernatural power sources and how they work also falls under the "cosmology" umbrella.
We know that Divine and Primal draw their magics from the Outer Planes and Inner Planes (which presumably includes the four elements, feywild and shadowfell now) respectively. Warlocks are taught arcane magic from the perspective of extra planar beings, which presumably works either akin to wizard magic or cleric magic, depending on player/DM. Sorcerers are inevitably pulling the magic from inside themselves out. Bardcraft is supposedly Words of Power on crack. Artificers use magic inherent in the tools and raw resources they use.

Every setting does wizard magic slightly differently. Forgotten Realms has the Weave, which is just a mix of all the planar energies freefloating around that Mystra puts in order. Eberron wizards pull energy from the Ring of Siberys. Dragonlance? Wizard magic comes from the Moons- period. Dark Suns (RIP, eaten by a black hole too soon) has wizards stealing life energy to power their magics. Its all taking floating energy in the environment and shaping it. What that energy is differs, however.

Anyways. Power sources are pretty well defined, even if there's some variation based on individual settings.

Remove ads