D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Such things were more prevalent.

In the edition that must not be named.

Floating ruin-cities and shards of ancient evil and fairy-rings that take you to another world and the plain fact that all that is, is alive and the universe itself growing an immune system to fight off Things That Should Not Be and...

It's quite possible to do it. And as soon as you do, particular people start complaining.
I never had a problem with 4e's setting in itself. I had a problem with it replacing the previous iterations. The retcon was always the issue.

Remathilis

Legend
So what do you do when a player gains an ability from their class that lets them surpass mundane limits without explanation?
Invent an explanation.

Right now the only classes that don't have an implied supernatural power source is fighter and rogue. Barbarian has primal energy channeled into rage. Monks have ki/spirit. Casters all have different types of magic. Just give fighter and rogue some supernatural backstory and you solve the problem.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Invent an explanation.

Right now the only classes that don't have an implied supernatural power source is fighter and rogue. Barbarian has primal energy channeled into rage. Monks have ki/spirit. Casters all have different types of magic. Just give fighter and rogue some supernatural backstory and you solve the problem.
That works for me.

It's generally good to remember for classes with weak diegetic footprints like fighter or rogue, any particular backstory will generally function more as a origin story for the character, not as something that will generate a narrative for every member of the class.

Like, if I say my fighter is the recipient of a supernatural legacy like Buffy, that doesn't mean that every fighter is also a recipient of that legacy. Every fighter will probably have their own backstory.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Give me an example that doesn't involve hit points (which need to be abstracted prior to hitting zero anyway).
The abstraction of hit point is the super humanness. The share number of dodgers, parries, blocks and straight body blows a Tier 4 martial has is far past what the humaniod muscles and nervous system can handle. Heck it stops making sense in Tier 2.

The bonkers part is your level 15 wizard has 60+ HP and can get in a fencing duel with a noble with no real combat training.HP gain of nonmartials should end or slow to old school 1hp/lvl after level 10.

Thats the thing.

Some things in D&D are not explained to spare the feeling and sensibility of the fans and not disrupt the "sense" in the game.

WOTC doesn't outright say that Pact Magic is a different type of magic. But the fact that it is called "Pact Magic" and not "Spellcasting" and uses different rules means Sorcerer magic is not the same as Warlock magic.

D&D polearms are D&D versatile weapons on a stick. But they use different rules due to being on a stick.

Remove ads