D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Can you point me to where in the text it says elves have blood? There are limits to what we need spelled out. Why should I assume that the most powerful fighter in a magical land, full of monsters and magic, is completely ordinary with no extraordinary capabilities?

Huh, where in the books does it explicitly say that that gear would be hideously expensive?

A fighter is just a normal dude off the street with a little bit of training, and they could kill a demon lord with a +1 sword. That is an uncommon weapon, costing a maximum of 500 gold. Their full-plate armor costs three times that. So a city lord could just spend about 2,200 gold and get a full set of demon-lord killing gear, right? I mean, that's all it takes for a farm boy to kill a demon lord, so a city champion should be over-qualified by that point.
Great! Have at it! If things don't work out, Mr. Mayor, give me a call.

And the limits of what needs to be spelled out include the beyond mundane abilities of fighters, if they in fact have them.

Micah Sweet

Okay. So what I said is true, even though it used to be true but with exceptions. And?

Everyone gets angry. Everyone has a fury inside them. Barbarians push that beyond. I suppose it could be gifted, such as with the Zealot, but many people might say that being marked by the gods is being born with a special destiny. But if you are born with a rage that makes you a monstrous, unstoppable force, then you were born special. You cannot train it, it is something that you must already have inside you.
Where does the book say that barbarians powers are a result of their special birth?

Micah Sweet

Rage is a unique special power. A fighter can watch everyone he loves die in front of them his anger gives him no special power. A barbarian can step on a Lego and get the power to bench press trucks and shrug off mortal blows. Obviously, something special is going on there.
Sure, but the claim was that sorcerers and barbarians are both born special. We have text about this for sorcerers. Where does it say that for barbarians? Or is this another "obvious" assumption the game makes that everyone but me has always known was true?

Micah Sweet

🤷 A god? They take a preliminary pledge before the oath? Yeah, it is a bit weird. In my setting this is not a problem as the paladins are directly connected to temples, thus their power ultimately comes from the deities, similar to the clerics. The oath is just a promise to do certain things in the god's name, not literally the source of their power in itself.
Makes more sense to me that way. Don't know why they changed it.

Personally? I'd prefer classes not to have any supernatural abilities unless they're a spell caster. Receive their special supernatural power through the course of play or not at all.
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is thataway and Call of Cthulhu thataway. Magic with actual chances of blowing up in your face. In fact there are plenty of games - but D&D with its cost-free powerful magic with almost no chance of blowback is not that game.

Micah Sweet

I don’t think so. Is there explicit agreement that the barbarian’s rage is not mundane? What about the monk’s flurry of blows? The bard’s jack of all trades? The ranger’s terrain expertise?

I think it is more accurate to state that no one cares whether monks, barbarians, rangers, or bards abilities are mundane, extraordinary or supernatural, and very few care about whether a fighter or rogue’s are. Why should WotC waste page count catering to something only matters to a vanishingly few players ?
All of those classes have at least some abilities that are explicitly supernatural, and an explanation is provided in their class description for why they might have such abilities. I don't see anything like that under fighter or rogue. Feel free to check yourself; I'll wait.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Makes more sense to me that way. Don't know why they changed it.
WOTC wanted to allow people who either hate religiosity or are against roleplaying a religion participation or deity worship (which might be against their rl one), to play a paladin not attached to a deity.

Remove ads