D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Chaosmancer

Legend
Fantastical loses its meaning when the audience has no frame of reference. If trees look like trees, feel like trees and explode into fireballs when chopped down, the audience wants an explanation and telling them "it's fantasy, you're not on Earth" isn't going to satisfy. At best, they check out and assume that they cannot understand the rules of the world and at worst they go full CinemaSins and nitpick every contradiction they find.

Sure, but how much explanation is needed?

"They evolved that way to scatter their seeds when lava beavers devour them." is a perfectly fine explanation for many people. Because getting into "wait, how exactly did this evolve" starts to become tedious for most people.

"Through training, hard-work, and the magical physics including the magical Ki energy flowing through every living body"... is a good enough explanation. Why are those things true? Because it is a fantasy world.

Remathilis

Legend

"They evolved that way to scatter their seeds when lava beavers devour them." is a perfectly fine explanation for many people. Because getting into "wait, how exactly did this evolve" starts to become tedious for most people.

"Through training, hard-work, and the magical physics including the magical Ki energy flowing through every living body"... is a good enough explanation. Why are those things true? Because it is a fantasy world.

And there we go. Magical. The word has been said. Now all things are possible. The fighter gets his power through channeling magical energy into martial prowess. No other words need to be spoken.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter

Personally, and I think I said this one of the Sorcerer threads (it's become hard to tell them apart), I kind of like there being room to decide for yourself what the source of your awesomeness is, and I don't think the game needs a defined source to function- the only reason I'd want any mention of why/how/is your Fighter/Rogue supernatural in any way is to end the debates about whether or not that is true, and we can go back to debating whether or not it should be that way.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Personally, and I think I said this one of the Sorcerer threads (it's become hard to tell them apart), I kind of like there being room to decide for yourself what the source of your awesomeness is, and I don't think the game needs a defined source to function- the only reason I'd want any mention of why/how/is your Fighter/Rogue supernatural in any way is to end the debates about whether or not that is true, and we can go back to debating whether or not it should be that way.

Exactly. I honestly do not care about the reasons. "90% of humans have a mix of dragon, elf, dwarf, and fey blood in their veins" "the all living creatures in the world have a soul and magical aura that can exude power" "Nanites in the blood allow for reprogramming the simulation of the world" All of them work, all of them are an excuse that allows us to get to the best part. The actual accomplishments.

But as long as their are people demanding evidence from the PHB to explain why such things should be possible... then this is what we have to do to get to the inclusion of things which shouldn't be this difficult to get included.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Exactly. I honestly do not care about the reasons. "90% of humans have a mix of dragon, elf, dwarf, and fey blood in their veins" "the all living creatures in the world have a soul and magical aura that can exude power" "Nanites in the blood allow for reprogramming the simulation of the world" All of them work, all of them are an excuse that allows us to get to the best part. The actual accomplishments.

But as long as their are people demanding evidence from the PHB to explain why such things should be possible... then this is what we have to do to get to the inclusion of things which shouldn't be this difficult to get included.
Yeah, demanding explanations is what gives us Midi-chlorians. Do you want midi-chlorians? Because that's how you get midi-chlorians!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I mean..maybe until the wizard gets 5th level spells and can choose "skill empowerment".
So now you are using up a 5th level spell for no good reason and still failing to be close to being the equal of a rogue. No. It's just plain stupid to try it when a real rogue is around.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So now you are using up a 5th level spell for no good reason and still failing to be close to being the equal of a rogue. No. It's just plain stupid to try it when a real rogue is around.
Wizards are intelligent therefore whatever they do in game must be intelligent. GM must make it so! ??? ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Copying fighter abilities were purposely removed from magic as part of D&D 5's design philosophy.

Spells that "make you into a fighter" were removed officially. That's a limit on D&D magic that no magic can replicate.
That's somewhat false. Yes they removed the spells that turned a wizard directly into a fighter, but they did not set that as any kind of hard limit. Wish can in fact accomplish it unless the DM rules otherwise. Such a ruling comes 100% from the DM, not any kind of rule or design philosophy.
The D&D design team for 5e sought after ensuring that a fighter would always be a better warrior that a similarly optimized full spellcaster
Which is cool, but doesn't stop Wish from working. Only the DM can decide whether it's too much for the Wish spell or not.

Remathilis

Legend
That works, of course, as long as the F&R aren't breaking the laws of physics. It's one thing to heal mid combat because HP isn't real and quite another to jump 20 ft straight up the air without magical explanation.

Remathilis

Legend
Copying fighter abilities were purposely removed from magic as part of D&D 5's design philosophy.

Spells that "make you into a fighter" were removed officially. That's a limit on D&D magic that no magic can replicate.

The D&D design team for 5e sought after ensuring that a fighter would always be a better warrior that a similarly optimized full spellcaster
Cough

Tenser's Transformation
XGE p168
6th-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a few hairs from a bull)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
You endow yourself with endurance and martial prowess fueled by magic. Until the spell ends, you can't cast spells, and you gain the following benefits.

You gain 50 temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the spell ends, they are lost.
You have advantage on attack rolls that you make with simple and martial weapons.
When you hit a target with a weapon attack, that target takes an extra 2d12 force damage.
You have proficiency with all armor, shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons.
You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws.
You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks.

Immediately after the spell ends, you must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer one level of exhaustion.

Remove ads