D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

None of those abilities. Not one. Comes from being human. We're talking inherent to the race, which neither wizardry(learn to use outside power) and sorcery(something from the outside has messed with the blood) are.
The potential to do it exists within the race. That potential does not exist in Earth humans.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think that's a bit more than is necessary; most people are using "human" to refer to their appearance or concept, not their actual capabilities.

No one says Harry Potter isn't a human, even though he has capabilities that are impossible for an actual Earth human.
Those capabilities don't come from being human.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
If fantasy taught me anything, if an Earth human ended up in a D&D world, they'd most likely not only be able to become a Wizard, but would become the mightiest Wizard of all!

No it doesn't. The race has nothing to do with either wizardry(learned external manipulation of magic) or sorcerery(bloodline altered by external magic or mixed bloodline including supernatural race). Human quite simply does not play into either class.
If they were Earth humans, they couldn't be wizards or sorcerers.. How do I know this? There are no wizards or sorcerers on Earth.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
If they were Earth humans, they couldn't be wizards or sorcerers.. How do I know this? There are no wizards or sorcerers on Earth.
That we know of. However in the Forgotten Realms, the ancestors of many Humans there came from Earth in the distant past- so maybe it's less "Earth humans can't be Wizards" but that they can't be Wizards on Earth because magic is much weaker here?

I would be surprised if an Earth Human traveled to a fantasy world and ended up a D&D Sorcerer, but who knows? Maybe in the distant past Earth did have more magic!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nobody is saying that they are Earth humans. Nobody. We are saying that the fantasy humans are physically capable of what Earth humans are and do not possess any inherent to the race supernatural abilities like Earth humans do not. It doesn't go beyond what is inherent to humans on Earth.

In the fantasy setting the fantasy humans can learn to use external magic which is nothing inherent to the human race. Any race can learn to be a wizard. In the fantasy setting fantasy humans can have their blood altered or mixed with other things to allow sorcery, which also is not inherent to being human. Any race can be a sorcerer.

Nobody is saying that they are Earth humans. Nobody. We are saying that the fantasy humans are physically capable of what Earth humans are and do not possess any inherent to the race supernatural abilities like Earth humans do not. It doesn't go beyond what is inherent to humans on Earth.

In the fantasy setting the fantasy humans can learn to use external magic which is nothing inherent to the human race. Any race can learn to be a wizard. In the fantasy setting fantasy humans can have their blood altered or mixed with other things to allow sorcery, which also is not inherent to being human. Any race can be a sorcerer.
What specific set of traits allow humans in Fantasyland to manipulate the supernatural elements of creation?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What specific set of traits allow humans in Fantasyland to manipulate the supernatural elements of creation?
Nothing. It..............has..................nothing.................to.......................do.....................with...................being..........................human.

How do I know this? Because if you put an Earth human on Toril, he could be a wizard or sorcerer.

Remove ads