D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
At a certain point it becomes hard to reconcile. If you see an ancient red dragon or a gaggle of fire giants and it seems like a reasonable idea to sword it/them to death, it's likely you have left the just a guy territory.
Exactly. This isn't really a property of any particular class; it's an inherent property of the leveling process and what it means in the fiction of D&D.

Would it be neat if the game gave specific diegetic abilities to mark the character's gradual apotheosis? Sure. But the lack of those doesn't change what leveling represents.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My question though, was a completely non-hostile, what do you do then? You've said you don't like such abilities, so how do you explain them? There's nothing wrong with having a preference for a world that is, I think you've said before "like the real world unless specified". My experience has been that D&D is full of waaaay too many exceptions to accept unless I presume that it's actually the other way around, ie, "D&D is complete fantasy unless specified", but I am curious how you square the circle.
I try to come with a bespoke in-universe explanation in the moment that makes sense to me, and narrate that to my players. It doesn't always work, but hope springs eternal.

I really believe in my playstyle.

Mephista

Adventurer
My problem with Evasion is simply that if the rogue makes a successful save, they should also move out of the area of effect. How do you evade by standing still? It's a bad case of the mechanics of the ability actively contradicting the narrative (and naming!) of the feature.
Actually had a Dm that did that - evasion moved your character

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
First of all, has martial power actually been a turning point in D&D since 4e? Its been 10 years and the game hasn't turned in that direction yet.

Secondly, how is your definition of "supernatural" any less subjective than anyone else's?
Who said it was my definition? I'm using the one 3rd edition forced upon us. I'd really rather a very different definition!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My problem with Evasion is simply that if the rogue makes a successful save, they should also move out of the area of effect. How do you evade by standing still? It's a bad case of the mechanics of the ability actively contradicting the narrative (and naming!) of the feature.
If I ever did a heartbreaker, Evasion would let the character choose to move up to half their speed if in an AOE, If they get within 5 feet of the edge, they automatically automatically succeed and take no damage. If they are still in the area, they take no damage on success and half on fail. Good for Rogues, Rangers, and Monks Masters.

Sorcerer would have Spell Evasion in Mana Drain and can take no/half damage by spending points.

Remove ads