• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One thing I'd like to thank 4th for

Aramax

First Post
I DMed 4th for 2-3 years,and when I got to the higher levels it was brutal.Balancing my min-maxed PCs at 27th was a chore.I spent a LOT more time prepping for games to get the balance right.I never quite achived this.

But now I am a much better DM for the experiance!

I'm now spending a lot of prep time that is making my games sweeter

Without 4th this never would have happened!!!!!!!4th DMG 2 is still one of my favorite RPG suppliments of all time.MM 3 has a lot of creative new monsters that I will adapt into the far future.At the time it was not so good.

But with the changes it put me through,has honed my craft and the further from it I am,the better it will be remembered.

So with no irony I say -Thank you 4th,you will be missed

Aramax

First Post
I DMed 4th for 2-3 years,and when I got to the higher levels it was brutal.Balancing my min-maxed PCs at 27th was a chore.I spent a LOT more time prepping for games to get the balance right.I never quite achived this.

I'm now spending a lot of prep time that is making my games sweeter

Without 4th this never would have happened!!!!!!!4th DMG 2 is still one of my favorite RPG suppliments of all time.MM 3 has a lot of creative new monsters that I will adapt into the far future.At the time it was not so good.

But with the changes it put me through,has honed my craft and the further from it I am,the better it will be remembered.

So with no irony I say -Thank you 4th,you will be missed
huh?

Last edited:

delericho

Legend

I had a very similar experience with high-level 3e, specifically in the "Shackled City" campaign - that system also gets to a point of vastly diminishing returns as the levels go up, but actually going through the experience taught me a huge amount about the way the system worked, how to construct a good high-level play experience, and so forth.

I don't have anywhere near the experience with 4e that you do. Still, your post is a good one - even the weaker bits of a system can make for extremely useful learning experiences.

Raith5

Adventurer
I am thankful for 4th because I run the whole game from my character sheet - I only read the books when I level up. I think it cut down prep time for players as well as DMs. But I am not going to miss it because my campaign still has a year or two to go.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads