• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Online Character Builder is LIVE!

Infiniti2000

First Post
This this is certainly a moment where he who opens his mouth proves himself to be the fool. They'd have been better off claiming it was a server issue, and fixing the program, than actually admitting the program is bugged all to heck.
See, I for one appreciate the honesty. It's funny that you'd even say this since if they weren't honest and it was found, you know how badly they'd be criticized? Moreover, I can understand that fixing the bugs is likely an easier problem to solve than server load. We're not sure that their server capabilities would be that scalable and even less sure if the WotC management would approve additional resource expenses for it. I feel much more confident that the programmers will beat away a majority of the serious bugs causing the crashes.

I mean, it's SilverLight after all! I'd be shocked if there were no crashes! :lol:

graylion

First Post
Chrome Browser & New Character Builder

I too am using the Chrome Browser and have only had crashes when I tried to import a house ruled character ( which is most ).

I generally find Chrome faster and less prone to problem then some of the big browsers.

Regards

sarria22

First Post
Something i wish it would do is just have the adventurers kit be a shortcut that automatically purchases and lists each item individually in my inventory, instead of just saying "adventurers kit" As it is i have to look up whats in that and write it all down separately anyway to track the sunrods and rations.

EDIT: It seems the issue with only allowing two characters saved has been fixed, and the debug tab is still there too! *saves local copies of her characters*

I've also discovered that i can take the character data XML and paste it in notepad, save it as a .dnd4e file, then re-import it into the online builder. Allowing me to share a copy of my character with my DM.

Lets hope they leave this debug tab here on the Vecna site eh?

Last edited:

mysticknight232

First Post
As I was working with a higher lvl character today, I came across another annoyance. When in the equipment selection screen, I added magic items and the like. When you start to get multiple magic items in your inventory screen, you are unable to see which items are equiped or not equiped just by looking because the price of magic items is so large and takes up a large amount of the inventory page. This is extremely annoying considering how nice the "shop" interface was in the original CB. I cannot see at a glance what is equipped and what is not. Instead, I have to click on each item individually to determine this, or worse, go to the god awful character sheet to view it.

I hadn't seen this mentioned on the threads so I thought I would post this as a concern of mine.

Scribble

First Post
As I was working with a higher lvl character today, I came across another annoyance. When in the equipment selection screen, I added magic items and the like. When you start to get multiple magic items in your inventory screen, you are unable to see which items are equiped or not equiped just by looking because the price of magic items is so large and takes up a large amount of the inventory page. This is extremely annoying considering how nice the "shop" interface was in the original CB. I cannot see at a glance what is equipped and what is not. Instead, I have to click on each item individually to determine this, or worse, go to the god awful character sheet to view it.

I hadn't seen this mentioned on the threads so I thought I would post this as a concern of mine.

You can slide the tabs around, so equipped is listed right after the name if you want.

Mallus

Legend
1st attempt at using the on-line CB, at work, with Firefox: crash, hang, crash, hang, give up.

2nd attempt, at home, with Firefox: hey, no problems. I recreated my 12th level paladin and tooled around w/the new interface. Didn't print.

I'm disappointed there's no house rules support out of the box. Also, it's a little slow. I'm guessing the jury won't be in on this one for a while... does anyone know when material from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms is hitting the Compendium?

I might play around with it some more tonight after I drink a few pints of my favorite IPA --Bear Republic Racer 5-- with my mates.

Nyronus

First Post

I want to be clear on this: I am a supporter of capitalism and let no one say otherwise. I never once said that he or anyone else "owes" WotC anything. I never said that and if you inferred it from my posts I have to inform you that you are utterly mistaken. Anyone who cancels over this, I can understand. DDi is still of great value, even for the compendium alone, but I can understand why some people would see the character builder as a deal breaker.

What I can't understand or tolerate is "fired us as customers" nonsense. Its abandoning a good majority of value to "punish" a company for not offering a periphery service in the way he wanted. The Character Builder is not the be all end all of 4th Edition. It is an accessory, a periphery product. A toy. Self-righteously quitting the game because of the quality of a side toy is, well, stupid. Its cutting off your nose to spite your face. Its not merely throwing the baby out with the bath water, but burning the house down because you did not feel like cleaning a toilet. Its irrational, petty, and stupid.

I am not saying people shouldn't stop paying for a product that they don't like. I am saying people who quit the hobby over what amounts to an add-on either have a total lack of perspective or are being mean or stupid. They are free to do it though. As I said, I am whole hearted supporter of capitalism. They are more than free to shoot themselves in the foot if they so choose. Or, hey, maybe it will turn out that Pathfinder will be better than sliced bread and they'll attain Nirvana. Just let it be known that this self righteous victim act they are putting on has grown old and tiresome.

Mirtek

Hero
Seems like the online CB finds a new way to disappoint every day. After I finally managed to enter my swordmage I now have to find out that the online CB doesn't know that a swordmage can use a heavy blade as an implement and thus lists all power cards of implement attacks as being used unarmed.

Really, that's not a lacking comfort feature, that's failure to apply the freaking rules!

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
1st attempt (last night) - crash, crash, hang. Gave up. Reported a bug and got back a totally inane response from WotC support.

2nd attempt (tonight) - really slow, but no crash. Tried to import my current character (hybrid feylock/swordmage), no luck. Tried to recreate it, found numerous bugs:
- Cannot choose Pact Boon as my Hybrid talent.
- Cannot choose any powers at all! The page is completely blank. When I open my charcter sheet, I find that CB has chosen them for me... and all wrong (all warlock powers are infernal pact, for example). Still no way to change them manually.
- Cannot add my Shadowdance leather armour. I search for it among the other leather armours, but find nothing.
- Cannot add the free Versatile Expertise feat our DM allows us. No house ruling.
- Open the character sheet again and see that all my warlock powers are used Unarmed and therefore not getting the enhancement bonus from my magic rapier. It didn't give me any Swordmage Implement powers, so I cannot check if those are correct.
- Cannot print out the character sheet. Three empty sheets of paper emerge from my Color LasetJet. Not a trace of my character on them.

All in all, pretty much useless.

Remove ads