Online RPG Stores - Which one is best? - ATTENTION RPGHOST

Morrus said:
Just a quick question - which email address were you using? I'll need to chase RPGShop up to find out why they didn't respond to you.

The address I used was ac_marafioti at yahoo dot com

I e-mailed the following 2 addresses:

custserv@rpgshop.com
sage@rpgshop.com

I e-mailed custserv@rpgshop.com on Friday and sage@rpgshop.com twice on Saturday (the second time was an accident! :eek: )

Perhaps I did get picked up by a spam filter or something.

I sent an e-mail off to FRPGames.com yesterday and have already received a reply. I'll check out the other sites listed above today. Amazon is not that attractive to me at the moment because the would charge me full price for the items and then shipping on top of that. At least some of the other sites discout their prices to help offset the cost of shipping. Anyway, I'll keep looking.

Olaf the Stout

CronoDekar

First Post
It's not an "RPG Shop", but of all the places I've looked at I can get D&D bookest the cheapest at overstock.com , even including S&H (or at least here in the States, I dunno about Australia). Only a little experience with it: I've bought three books from there as one shipment and didn't have any problems with it (I previously bought all my books from buy.com, didn't have any problem with them either). It does take longer to get books in stock than other stores, and their third-party selection isn't the best, but if you're a cheapskate like me they're good.

BSF

Explorer
D20books.com for me. Jeff is a good guy and I have ordered several items from him. Great service. I place most of my orders by catching him with an IM. (d20books on AIM) He gives me the quality of service I wish I got from a brick-and-mortar FLGS. At this point, he is able to suggest books to me that will likely fit my campaign. :D

Terwox

First Post
Amazon.com for me, but that's influenced by the amazon.com credit card.
I wouldn't order new stuff from them though -- they tend to run out and have huge delays, and preorders are usually a bit slow, in my experience.
But, you eventually get your stuff, and it's cheap.
(I ordered The World of Darkness hardcover on September 1st... it shipped October 8th, and is still in transit on October 12th. So it can be bad. But I'd still recommend it.)

Krieg

First Post
I have been very happy with FRPGames. Their service is outstanding and their prices are competitive. Be sure to check their eBay store as you can often snag a book for less than they are selling it at their main store.

When price is an issue I usually check with priceowl.com to see who has the best price. Typically overstock.com is the lowest, but occasionally walmart, buy.com or even Amazon will come out on top.

FWIW overstock does have a best price guarantee, if you can find a book cheaper somewhere else, including shipping charges, they will refund the difference.

D20Dazza

Explorer
I am from Australia and have used both Amazon and RPGshop.com. Amazon is great if you're getting a book that includes a discount, for example the World's Largest Dungeon is $200 Australian from my FLGS but I can get it from Amazon, including postage, for $117 Australian. As others have mentioned you can have a bit of a wait if you are after a new release item though. Most of my purchases through RPGShop have been OK. I did have a problem with a delayed order that I sent them an email about and it took them an age to respond. I spent a couple of hours carefully crafting my email so that I didn't offend and to ensure that my complaints were accurate and clear. I got a less than satisfactory reponse after spending all that time writing it though, something like "sorry for not responding sooner, we will endeavour to do better next time". Mind you, at least, the RPGShop postage seems to only take a couple of days compared to Amazon's couple of weeks and they charge about the same cost ($30 for a couple of hardcovers). I haven't ordered from RPGShop since (that was a couple of months ago), so I'm not sure if the communication lines are a little better now?

rpghost

First Post
Pants said:
I buy from walmart.com and amazon.com because I'm a cheap bastard.

Be careful when you go hunting for cheapass prices. Granted these two above are big companies that will be around for a while, but buying from small shops out of someone's garrage tends to get you a cheap price- yet they inevetably go out of business and all they do is hurt all us real non-deep discounting stores. Not to mention you may be one of the many to never get shipped anything when they do decide to give up. I've seen it happen a hundred times. Need I remind everyone of DragonScroll.com which screwed MANY people!

James

Remove ads