Only in America

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The American themed party thread brings this to mind. Apparently the red plastic cup is an American thing, not seen "in the wild" (as someone said) in other countries.

Several years ago, I was entertaining a Swedish coworker visiting the US. While out driving, she spotted a yellow school bus. She mentioned that was the first one she'd ever seen in person. She'd seen them only on American TV and movies.

What other things -- *things*, not actions, thoughts, beliefs, etc. -- do you non-Americans commonly see in American TV/movies/photos that aren't common (or existant) in your own country? (Can we avoid jingoism? Please.)

Bullgrit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, most everything. Western countries are similar on the large scale, but the small details are radically different in pretty much every way you can imagine.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Obesity. Not that we do not have fat people here, but when I go to the US the quantity of fat people is surprising.

Flags. We have some here, but, again, the quantity of flags that hang everywhere is surprising.

I was talking with a girl from Hong Kong last weekend. What I realized was that even when your poor in North America, you still can eat meat in the form of ground beef. Eating meat, and lots of it, is not that universal.

Last edited:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Morrus said:
Western countries are similar on the large scale, but the small details are radically different in pretty much every way you can imagine.
Well, yes, I know that. I'm asking what small details stand out to you.

Some things I suspect are much less common outside the US, but are common in American media: pick up trucks, pizza, beer in a can.

Bullgrit

Janx

Hero
what other color would you use for a school bus?

Not to sound Americanist, but really. it's yellow for a reason.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel

Some things I suspect are much less common outside the US, but are common in American media: pick up trucks, pizza, beer in a can.

Bullgrit
Beer cans are rather common in Europe. In Belgium they even have vending machines filled with beer cans. It is not rare to see people hang around those vending machines after bar close.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

No, they're all common. Well, maybe not pickup trucks, but beer cans and pizza are ubiquitous.

OK, I'll try a list:

school system
mailboxes
school buses
american football
flags everywhere
currency
food
yellow cabs
proms
sororities and the other thing
car brands
waiter/waitress service in bars
tipping
commercial frequency

OK, sorry, I got bored! A thousand other things too!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
what other color would you use for a school bus?

Not to sound Americanist, but really. it's yellow for a reason.

My school bus was a regular old red bus when I was a kid.

redbus.jpg

sabrinathecat

Explorer
You took an NYC tourist bus to school? ;)

A pizza can get to your house faster than an ambulance
An escalator up to the gym.
Creationism taught as a science

there was a whole humor list of things that make you shake your head.
Other notes all go to political criticism, which I will avoid bringing up this time.

Janx

Hero
My school bus was a regular old red bus when I was a kid.

View attachment 60893

Huh. I always assumed those double-deckers were for public transport. Heck, those double-deckers aren't regular in any way to the US.

In the US, my understanding is, the yellow school bus is yellow because it's disitinctive (other colors would work), and its synonymous with School Bus.

In practical terms, there are no other busses on the road that color that are not also School Buses (unless it's a used/repurposed bus). The color yellow on a bus means "Kids Inside. Be Careful."

Are the buses in England colored to mean certain things?

Remove ads