• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] A Light Hearted Princes of Elemental Evil Hack and Slash

Forged Fury

First Post
It really comes down to how you play the game. I crunch numbers all day (and enjoy it) and have never cared all that much about DPR. It makes for an interesting and enjoying diversion, but that's about all it is, IMO. Damien would have looked a lot different if I was worried about DPR and optimization.

Really, the bless question boils down to who Dent thinks should receive the blessing from his god... er, city. Maybe in his mind, someone who stays out of the fight other than making ranged attacks is unworthy of it? I think it will be interesting to see how CB works that one out.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I totally agree. My answered was skewed by trying to find the best (i.e. most optimized, because in my mind, best=optimized) answer.
Yours makes more sense, and is more fun ;-)
Cheers,

SG

It's good to cover both the rp and munchkin aspects of gaming; though, admittedly, I tilt more toward rp than I do optimizing. I doubt I trade in numbers during my work day to the extent that either of you do, but certainly my work does call for a good dose of numbers crunching on a daily basis. Unlike FF, however, I'm ambivalent about such crunching. I'm capable enough but enjoy numbers less than I do strategizing for trial and the high theater that is court. When I sit down to play, I want to tap into the rp aspects of the game.

Dent worships himself. If I could've put a selfie as his shield emblem, I would've. He's awful like that. Instead, I took the next best thing, the Mirabar emblem. I like what FF has to say about Dent making interesting choices about who to bless. Probably Dent's decision is the result of some corrupt logic that I'll have fun exploring.

Creamsteak

Explorer
On the philosophy of what's "best", I just think it comes down to doing the right thing for the game you have and the players you share the game with today. I've played some hardcore optimized 4e with one group a few years back. My current face to face game is in more of a muddy direction. Nobody is combat optimized. Everyone wants something different out of the game. It's pretty confusing at times. I'm generally just pretty flexible. Some of it is that players are new or have different expectations about what the game is about.

Forged Fury

First Post
I figure Dent would, at a minimum, always include himself in his castings, LOL.

Yeah, I didn't want to be the downer train on the optimization stuff. The main problem I have with it is that it presumes a certain standard approach to combat (things must be done the "best" way). I've personally used three different tactics in combat so far (Darkness, Armor of Agathys, and Hex) that deliver different results in different ways. I find that fun and interesting.

DPR can be challenging to determine with our characters given most require resource expenditure (Spell Slots, Rage, Wild Shape, etc) to really pump out the damage. We're all relatively close to each other on hit chances, so I wouldn't worry too much about comparing hit chances to AC or accounting for the +1 or so difference in chances to hit. The basic assumption is that bless will likely improve on it, so you'd apply it to the people who will likely do the most damage. At the basic level using things with infinite resources (basic attacks, cantrips, etc) and assuming all hits, Damien with 11 (Dual-Wielding short sword and dagger), then Thaliss with 10.5 (Eldritch Blast), then Tolan at 8.5 (1H Longsword) / Dent at 8.5 (1H Longsword) / Aridha at 8.5 (Scimitar), then Carrodoc at 4.5 (Chill Touch). Obviously, everything changes considerably when you add in expendable resources (e.g. Tolan jumps up to 21 while Frenzied, Aridha jumps to 20.5 if using the optimizer's choice of Brown Bear for her wild shape, etc.).

I'd be interested in the findings of the Excel if you do it, Steve.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
There are a lot of damage considerations. Now add in the defensive implications. :) Who is most likely to get confused/held/dominated? Who do you least want confused/held/dominated? :D

Vote Tolan for Bless 2015!

Nah, ultimately I don't care. Unless I'm frenzying because then, with my dice luck, I need all the help I can get.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
FYI, so you are aware for future combats, Thaliss can now cast vicious mockery. Wis save or 1d4 damage and the target's next attack has disadvantage. Combined with hex, it's not bad. With this, no need to risk an Aoo to move and clear the ranks for a line of effect. Since it's a spell with a save, it can be used in melee without disadvantage, which is not the case for eldrich blast.
Cheers,

SG

Forged Fury

First Post
FYI, so you are aware for future combats, Thaliss can now cast vicious mockery. Wis save or 1d4 damage and the target's next attack has disadvantage. Combined with hex, it's not bad.

There's some disagreement about whether save based spells work with Hex. Jeremy Crawford's answer doesn't help in the slightest, which I find the case with most of his responses, TBH. I'm personally of the opinion that it's no big deal if it works together.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
There's some disagreement about whether save based spells work with Hex. Jeremy Crawford's answer doesn't help in the slightest, which I find the case with most of his responses, TBH. I'm personally of the opinion that it's no big deal if it works together.

Wow, I never even thought that it wouldn't apply. Based on his answer, I'm tempted to say that it wouldn't apply, since an attack roll is required(which sucks, because I may have picked another cantrip - not sure). DM's call...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads