OOC - Across the Waters, or the Invasion of Alban

Maerdwyn

First Post
This will be the OOC thread for the 3.5E campaign I am running for my son and his friends. I will edit this post to include background information for the campaign. Generally, this will be a low-magic campaign based on an alternate history in which the Huns successfully made it to the Atlantic.

Please post your characters (32 point build, 1st level; use anything from the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/, EXCEPT:

1) that half-orcs and orcs will be treated as human in all respected except appearance
2) We will be using faux dark ages tech, so no full or half plate armor. If you have a question about other equipment, just ask. Not going to be a stickler.
3) We will be using a smithing system that allows characters with sufficient skill to craft magic weapons.)

Post your characters as soon as they are ready. Make sure to include at least a brief description of the character's appearance, personality, and history, as it will help me tailor adventures to your characters.

As a placeholder for more complete background section:
Each of your characters come from the city of Dubris, a coastal city on the island of Alban. Dubris, which is perched atop magnificent white cliffs, is located on the eastern side of the Strait of Dubris, which separates Alban from the continent by only slightly more than 20 miles.

Until about two hundred years ago, Alban had been ruled by the Imberim, an enormous elvish empire that stretched across the southern portion of the known world. Then Atil a'Ruga, a squat, small-eyed orc leading a vast army of mounted horsemen swept out of the east and brought the Imberim to its knees. As the Imberim diverted soldiers to defense of the homeland, it failed to adequately garrison Alban, and the people, led by the druids, rose up and massacred the remaining Imberi soldiers. Since then, Alban has enjoyed relative peace (apart from the expected intra-tribal warfare and raids that has characterized Alban and the surrounding islands since the dawn of time), despite the presence of the Tochar Empire just across the Strait of Dubris.

You may be a member of any standard race, and must choose a nationality. Dubris is located within the area of Alban controlled by the Iceni (they control the east and south of the islan); the Dumnoni control the north of the island, and the Caledi control the west. The Bridei tribes control the islands to the north and east of Alban. Each of these tribes is predominantly human, though members of the other standard races may be found (Half orcs are rare as are elves of any sort). You may also choose to be a citizen of the Imberim who has remained on the island since it was retaken, though you should be a dwarf or elf in this case, as member of the shorter-lived races have generally been incorporated into the local tribes over a few generation.

Other lands you know about:
Iverni, a large island to Alban's north, populated by a people called the Fir Bholg.
Jotunland: a land supposed populated by giantkind.
Jutland: lands to the north of the Tochar Empire ruled by a group of human tribes.
Tochar Empire: a vast orc-ruled empire located just across the Strait of Dubris
Imberim: The local term for the elvish empire that formerly ruled Alban. If it still exists, it lies far to the south.

Draft Map of Alban (Incomplete):

Alban.jpg

doghead

thotd
Hey Maerdwyn,

Good to see you again. How's it going?

Looks like an interesting campaign. Nice map. Lots of interesting possibilities.

Best of luck.

thotd

Fulliron

First Post
Name: Barruc Aedanson
Race: Human Class: Fighter
Alignment: True Neutral
Level: 1 EXP: 0

Stats:
Strength: 17 +3
Dexterity: 13 +1
Constitution: 15 +2
Intelligence: 10 0
Wisdom: 10 0
Charisma: 10 0

Save​s/Attack Data
Fortitude: 2 + 2 = 4
Reflex: 0 + 1 = 1
Will: 0 + 0 = 0
Initiative: 1 + = 1
Melee: 1 + 3 + = 4
Ranged: 1 + 1 + = 2
Armor class: 1 + 10 + 6 = 17

Money:
PP:0
GP:21
SP:0
CP:0
Skills:
Climb (STR): 2 + 3
Intimidate (CHA): 2 + 0
Intimidate (STR): 2 + 3
Jump (STR): 2 + 3Ride (DEX): 2 + 1
Swim (STR): 2 + 3
Tumble (DEX): 1 + 1

Feats/Specials:
Armor proficiency (L, M, H)
Shield proficiency (L, H, T)
Weapon proficiency (S, M)
Endurance
Diehard
Power Attack

Equipment:
Spiked Gauntlet (2)(e)
Scale Mail (+4 AC)(e)
Wooden Large Shield (+2 AC)
-Spiked, 1d6 on bash
Backpack (e)
Longsword 1d8 (e)
Dagger 1d4
Sling 1d4
Bullets, sling (120)
Blanket
Canvas
Chain (10 ft)
Flint and steel
Hooded Lantern
Lamp Oil
Torch (1)

Languages:
Common

I'll write a background later so that other, lazier people can use my sheet as a template

Last edited:

NotSoAverageJoe

First Post
Here is the character I made
Name: Ianfalcon Duskwalker
Race:Elf
Starting class: Rogue lvl1
Raw Ability scores: Str:12 Dex:16 Con:12 Int:16 Wis:10 Charisma:10
Skills: appraise:1 balance:2 bluff:1 climb:2 deciher script:2 disable device:2 Disguise: 2 escape artist:2 forgery:1 gather info:2 hide:3 jump:1 local knowledge:1 listen:2 move silently:3 open lock:1 search:1 sense motive:1
sleight of hand:2 spot:3 swim:1 tumble:2 use magic devie:1 use rope:1
Feats: armor prof. light, point blank shot, simple wep prof. sneak attack, trapfinding

equipment: 1dagger(1d4) 1rapier(1d6) 1shortbow1d6 200arrows hide_armour backpack2lb bedroll 5lb blanket 3lb 1bottle 2 caltrops 2lb 10 candle 1 flint&steel
1 rope(50ft) 5lb waterskin 4lb Artisan tools 5lb musical instruments 3lb thieves tools 11lb and a travelers outfit 5lb

Languagues: Common Draconic Elven Orc

Maerdwyn

First Post
Good to see you both on here. As soon as our last player shows up, we will get started. Sending you each (by Private Message) some questions that will help you craft your backgrounds. I will also keep updating the first post with additional background information.

I've decided at we are going to use some rule variants from the 13th Age rpg; Most of it will be behind the scenes or revealed as the game goes on, but one of the big things will be how magic items are handled. There will be fewer of them than in a vanilla D&D game, but they will be more unique, almost alive.

doghead

thotd
A fighter and rogue. Good combination. Curious to see what the last character will be.

You guys should tell Maerdywn to let you combine Hide & Move Silently into Stealth, and Spot & Listen into Perception. It will save you a bunch of rolls, and skill points.

You can tell him doghead told you to do it.

thotd

Fulliron

First Post
I'll tell him, but we won't even be starting for a while. The third guy is gonna be a druid or wizard, but Maerdwyn has a lot of work IRL. Dunno when he'll be free to run this at all.

Maerdwyn

First Post
No IRL issues now (and I was going to make room fr this, anyway) so I am ready to go :)

You guys can combine those skills and respond the points. And when in your third party member showing up?

Thanks for the reminder on those skills, doghead. Details like that slip away after a few years absence from the game.

Remove ads