• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC: City of the Spider Queen [Full]

Dakkareth

First Post
Um.... what?

Heh ;). As I said, I had way too much time one afternoon and decided, I'd figure this out, before it comes up - maybe I was a little too stream-of-consciousness like ... :blush:

1. The spell description of CoP is a little confusing, probably due to 2e holdovers.
2. Thus the question about removing the 'decrease', a condition that is *only* mentioned in the CoP description.
3. I'm fine with your decision. :)
4. (Maybe you should worry :p)

5. When I skimmed over the CoP text, I *thought* it worked like I described.
6. By the rules-as-written it doesn't.
7. Thus my question about houseruling it.
8. The consequence would be, that divinations about undead become much less risky / are more likely to succeed.
9. Flavor and cosmology wise it's cool IMO, balance-wise it depends. CoP is powerful as it is and commune might suffer in comparison. OTOH undead are a pretty specific subject, so it might not influence the comparison at all. Your call.
10. I feel a little guilty about suggesting houserule stuff again :eek:

A little more structured this time ;)

Rayex

First Post
Dakkareth said:
5. When I skimmed over the CoP text, I *thought* it worked like I described.
6. By the rules-as-written it doesn't.
7. Thus my question about houseruling it.
8. The consequence would be, that divinations about undead become much less risky / are more likely to succeed.
9. Flavor and cosmology wise it's cool IMO, balance-wise it depends. CoP is powerful as it is and commune might suffer in comparison. OTOH undead are a pretty specific subject, so it might not influence the comparison at all. Your call.
10. I feel a little guilty about suggesting houserule stuff again :eek:

A little more structured this time ;)

I'm kinda unsure of what you want the houserule to be...

Dakkareth

First Post
Too long, too short, to chaotic, too ordered. I can't seem to get it right ;)

Anyway, if you look in the table for contactable planes in the spell description it goes like this (much left out):
Code:
Plane Contacted  	Avoid Int/Cha Decrease 	True Answer 	Don’t Know 
Elemental Plane 	DC 7/1 week 	01–34 	35–62 	
   (appropriate) 	(DC 7/1 week) 	(01–68) (69–75) 	
Positive/Negative Energy Plane 	DC 8/1 week 	01–39 	40–65 	
Astral Plane 	DC 9/1 week 	01–44 	45–67

So if your question is about the usual powers of efreet, you'd have a 44% chance to get a good answer, when contacting the Astral Plane. If you contacted the Plane of Fire, this chance would rise to 68%, because it is the appropriate Inner Plane regarding information about the efreet.

My idea was to extend this to the Negative Energy Plane. Thus if you contacted a creature on the NEP about the number of undead in the area (for example), you'd have a 68% chance to get a true answer as opposed to a 44% contacting someone on the Astral Plane, because it's the 'appropriate' plane - the powers inhabiting the NEP would know more about such matters than some random power sitting on the Astral.

Last edited:

Dakkareth

First Post
Between false answers, random answers and lies the truth can be hard to find. But so far the dead have been most forthright with Merion. You just don't lie to someone you call 'master' :] :]
Liches and gods ... well, they'll see soon enough :]

Last edited:

Rayex

First Post
dakkareth said:
OOC:
The greater spell penetration feat raises Merion's bonus to spell penetration checks to 4, just for future reference.

True, but Merion don't have the Greater Spell Penetration.

Merion's Feats:
Feats:
When Ticho is within 5 ft. - Alertness
Bonus Human - Empower Spell
Wizard lvl 1 - Scribe Scroll
Lvl 1 - Spell Penetration
Lvl 3 - Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Wizard lvl 5 - Craft Wonderous Item
Lvl 6 - Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Lvl 9 - Improved Counterspell
Wizard lvl 10 - Silent Spell

Rayex

First Post
Dakkareth said:
Umm, damn. I was looking at my writeup, where he does have it. It seems, I f***ed up my number of feats and didn't notice, when you corrected the number by dropping GSP in the official sheet. :uhoh:

Yeah, I remember that you had one feat that you shouldn't have. I am not sure if I asked you what feat you wanted to drop or not. If you want GSP instead of one of the other feats, I'll allow it. Ain't I nice :p

Remove ads