• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Constables of the 14th Ward

Helfdan

First Post
Sir Alarion of Tovarre, revised :) (dumped the buckler, cleaned up the math, and increased int a little to do better in the skills department)

Attachments

• alarion.rtf
    24.6 KB · Views: 91

Maeglin

First Post
Allright!

Here is Rahvin Stormcrow's mildly expanded Background, as well as Description and Personality.

Just have the equipment to figure out... will do that tomorrow or friday (or maybe later tonight, if I can't sleep again :p )

[sblock=Background]*Please note that most of the names used below are only there as placeholders. Feel free to substitute these with any names you see fit. The whole background may be modified, if you feel anything should be changed.

Rahvin’s father was an officer in the army of the Kingdom of Silvertree. He was killed when Rahvin was but a young boy. Ever since that day, Rahvin wanted to be a soldier. Upon reaching majority of age, he enlisted in the army.

His early career as a soldier was not the meteoric rise the boy expected. Rahvin was a mediocre fighter, at best, and not naturally gifted in athletic pursuits. He soon found himself relegated to courier status, serving under Knight-Commander Roedran.

Roedran, for his part, soon recognized other talents Rahvin possessed. He was gifted with a quick mind, an eye for detail and an excellent memory. He was an incredibly fast learner, capable of accomplishing any new task merely after having witnessed others do it.

Roedran soon transferred the young man to Lord Demethos’s service. Demethos was spymaster of the eyes-and-ears network in the Arch Duchy of Lauralie Summerhome.

For his part, Rahvin, a quick study and a patriot at heart, accepted the transfer and began learning the craft of espionage. After finishing his apprenticeship, Stormcrow was sent on many assignments to other kingdoms.

After several years, he was assigned a deep undercover mission to Korthagas, Capital city of a neighboring Empire of the same name. There, he posed as a minor courtier.

Recently, Rahvin’s cover was betrayed when one of his contacts was apprehended in Korthagas. The man revealed Stormcrow’s identity under torture, and Rahvin was forced to flee the country. Somehow managing to keep a step ahead of the Imperial Guard, Rahvin narrowly managed to avoid capture and cross the frontier back into the lands of Silvertree.

Understandably tired of the life of a spy, Rahvin resigned his commission and returned to his native city of Lauralie Summerhome.

Though presently managing to survive on the wages earned from his time as a spy, Rahvin does not expect those funds to last forever. Thus, he is avidly seizes the opportunity to work for the city constabulary. He knows the skills he has acquired will be of great value.[/sblock]

[sblock=Description] Rahvin is 5’9” and lean and wiry, rather than muscular. He is in his mid thirties. His hair is of medium length, black, but with a few gray hairs. Most of the time, he sports a goatee, though he usually ends up shaving it when the time comes to don a disguise. His skin is fair, but tanned.

When off-duty, Rahvin wears black breeches and brown knee-high boots, with a white shirt (worn to a cream color). He wears a russet doublet over this, or a studded leather sleeveless gambeson (armor), also russet in color. A black leather belt holds a rapier on his left side, with a dagger concealed at the back of the belt, for a right handed draw (Rahvin does not fight with 2 weapons at the same time). A dark grey-black cloak completes the ensemble.

*Note: Rahvin is aware of the restriction regarding weapons in the city, but the sight of a sword may give some criminals pause. He will wield the truncheon or blackjack in combat, unless circumstances require the use of lethal force)

When on duty, he wears the Constabulary surcoat and black truncheon.[/sblock]

[sblock=personality] Rahvin is a patriot at heart. He loves serving the city and the Arch Duchy, even though he has resigned his army commission (and really, can one ever retire from being a spy?), he is happy to have joined the constabulary. This way, he hopes to serve the city and see the results firsthand, not hidden away in some neighboring nation.

Curiosity is one of his main driving forces. Coupled with a keen mind, a quick hand and an affable personality, he is well suited to the role of investigator.

He carries himself with the confidence that comes from experience. Over the years, he has improved his martial skills to the point where he feels confident in his abilities.

Rahvin is by nature a gregarious individual. He genuinely cares for the well being of his countrymen. He is kind and generous and likes to help his fellow man.

However, when on a mission, or on the trail of a criminal, he is very focused and driven. He is not adverse to bending the occassional law in the service of the greater good, but will commit no clearly evil act. (Forging documents, breaking and entering, if performed in the service of his country, would engender no remorse in Rahvin. It is all done for the cause).

Having spent sometime learning the craft of the actor, Rahvin loves the theater. He has become an accomplished actor himself, and often dons disguises which aid in gathering information and infiltrating criminal organizations. Rahvin not only changes his clothes and physical appearance when performing these tasks, but his whole personality also changes into an assumed role.[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Helfdan said:
Sir Alarion of Tovarre, revised :) (dumped the buckler, cleaned up the math, and increased int a little to do better in the skills department)

Looks good. What I'm thinking about your father is that he has staked a freehold in the VAST wilderness to the north of Lauralie Summerhome, in the shadow of the notorious mountain known as Mûraug Tor. How does that grab you?

Helfdan

First Post
Leif said:
Looks good. What I'm thinking about your father is that he has staked a freehold in the VAST wilderness to the north of Lauralie Summerhome, in the shadow of the notorious mountain known as Mûraug Tor. How does that grab you?

Sounds good! Just let me know what details to work into the background, in terms of whether this is within Silvertree, who his father owes allegiance to, any foes of his household, etc. As you can see, I like making up this stuff, so let me know if you need me to flesh out anything.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Helfdan said:
Sounds good! Just let me know what details to work into the background, in terms of whether this is within Silvertree, who his father owes allegiance to, any foes of his household, etc. As you can see, I like making up this stuff, so let me know if you need me to fleash out anything.

Okay, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves yet, though. We're haven't even got the party firmed up yet.

Maeglin

First Post
Allright, here is the completed Rahvin Stormcrow character sheet, with gear and all.

I am uncertain of how much level of detail you are looking for at this stage of the selection process. (As far as personality/possible plot hooks)

In case further detailing is desired, I have these three possible personality/plot hooks that may be easily expanded further.

[sblock=hooks for Rahvin]#1 A fan of the theater, Rahvin has met and is currently dating an actress. Unfortunately, a local crimeboss/underworld figure has set his sights on the same woman.

#2 Rahvin is not one for drinking much (spies can’t afford to get drunk and reveal confidential information) or for womanizing ( as he is currently dating, see #1 above), but does have a weakness: gambling. He is a fan of the Three Dragon Ante card game.

Though he only gambles in legal establishments, he is a developing gambling addiction. This could get him in trouble, especially as his funds get depleted and he has to recur to loan sharks.

#3 Rahvin’s younger brother has gotten into trouble recently. He has started running with a local streetgang. Despite Rahvin’s efforts, the boy persists in his activities, which will soon land him in trouble with the local Constabulary.[/sblock]

Again, like Helfdan, I am willing and eager to alter, modify or otherwise entertain any changes you see fit.

Allright, I think there is nothing more to add for the moment. Time to do some serious studying of that lauralie Wiki…

This concludes my little presentation. Thanks for your attention, and please, let me know if you have any questions or need any additional details. I hope I make it to the game. :D

In any case, best of luck. The setting is wonderful, I hope the game turns out well.

Maeglin

EDIT: Just corrected a small accounting error in Rahvin's funds... just a matter of 1000gp that somehow were misplaced. Nothing major, really :heh: No, really. Why are you looking at me like that? IRS? Who said anything about the IRS?!?!? ;)

Attachments

• Rahvin level 5.rtf
    20.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
Ditto for me. I know I've presented quite a few concepts and haven't fleshed them out mechanically, but I'm a bit resistant to crunching numbers (which isn't that hard, but is a lot less fun than imagining quirky, interesting characters) before I know if I have to.

In any case, even though I've got more than one concepts presented I'm not particularly committed to any single one of them - and if there are portions of any of my concepts that you guys like that aren't exactly attached to the character concepts you'd be inclined to accept then I'm willing to try to shove things together and see if they make more sense. I'm also aware that some of my concepts have ah...possibly GM intensive NPC interactions that might make them seem a little less stellar from the "why should I make work for myself" department of running games. Details like that write themselves out as easily as they write themselves in sometimes, but I'm also picking up that sort of slack if you'd like too. While the varied and dysfunctional home lives of some of my character concepts might be complex, I like to think that they'd mostly be more of self-interactive backdrop to present the character on, rather than functional portions of the plot that require a lot of attention from the game masters. On the other hand, I'm probably not going to complain if someone decides that the plot hinges on some familial/background detail Return-of-the-Jedi moment and wants to give a voice to folks I've wrote in either.

Leif

Adventurer
Maeglin said:
Allright, here is the completed Rahvin Stormcrow character sheet, with gear and all. I am uncertain of how much level of detail you are looking for at this stage of the selection process. (As far as personality/possible plot hooks) In case further detailing is desired, I have these three possible personality/plot hooks that may be easily expanded further. Again, like Helfdan, I am willing and eager to alter, modify or otherwise entertain any changes you see fit. Allright, I think there is nothing more to add for the moment. Time to do some serious studying of that lauralie Wiki… This concludes my little presentation. Thanks for your attention, and please, let me know if you have any questions or need any additional details. I hope I make it to the game. :D In any case, best of luck. The setting is wonderful, I hope the game turns out well. Maeglin

Thank you for the kind words! And good work on Rahvin and the plot hooks. You seem to have understood the intent of our Great and Devious MasterPlan! [devilish DM laughter goes here and continues for several pages]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads