• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Constables of the 14th Ward

Leif

Adventurer
Maeglin said:
If I may, I'd like to present a character concept for your approval. I too, am a fan of fantasy cities. Lankhmar, Adrilankha and Sanctuary are my favorites. This campaign sounds a lot like the Haven series of novels by Simon R. Green (and if the 2 GMs have not read these novels, you are in for a treat. The main characters are city watch investigators, too)

In any case, here goes:

Rahvin Stormcrow

Rahvin was a spy in the employ of the Arch Duchy of Lauralie Summerhome. For the last few years, he had been working undercover as a courtier in Korthagas, Capital city of a neighboring Empire of the same name.
Recently, Rahvin’s cover was blown, and he narrowly managed to avoid capture at the hands of the Imperial Guard. Through great hardship, Rahvin was able to finally cross the frontier back into the lands of Silvertree.

Looks very promising. Would you have a problem with adjusting the place names in Rahvin's history to match names in our world?

Helfdan

First Post
Leif said:
Looks good, for the most part. The buckler is a problem while you're on duty in the city, as you have anticipated. ;)

Glad to hear it. The proper adjustments will be made

Leif said:
Oh, one more thing: If you don't mind, we can work with you on Alarion's history to include people and places that we've already included in our world.

Sounds great! Feel free to email me or PM the info, and we'll work it into the background.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Leif said:
The short answer is "no." The proposed character that you detail has numerous flaws that make it very unlikely that he would have ever been hired by any constabulary in Larualie Summerhome. Start over.

Oh, and I don't care what ANYONE says about the DMs here, I don't drink at all, and Scotley is very well-settled and enjoying his domestic bliss and fatherhood!
Okay. I've started work on a NG Human Marshall 4 / Swashbuckler 1

I'll post his background once I've finished working thru it all.

Fenris

Adventurer
Leif and Scotley,
OK, here is a tentaive background and am intial character, to give you an idea of how he'll look. I would be happy to have any additional places, or people to integrate into my background or to fix any errors.

[sblock]
Background
Jonas Kewiczak

Jonas was the son of a hard working Shiv named Elias Kewiczak. Elias was one of only a handful of humans in the Shiv. The Shiv needed a few of they called "Long Shiv" around to work the cranes at the docks unloading the ships there with the large cranes, the controls of whcih were too hard for the smaller Shiv to work. Jonas grew up in the 2nd Ward. But he liked to consider himself a native of many Wards. His father would often take him out with him for deliveries when he had to unload carts using special hand cranes that only the few human Shiv could use. Jonas enjoyed seeing all the different sights the Great City of Lauralie Summerhome had to offer, above and below ground. It was a special treat for Jonas when he got to travel on the Understreets. He enjoyed seeing the different buildings, people and food that made each Ward unique. Even more so he enjoyed standing at his father’s elbow as he made the rounds, listening to the conversations, and getting to know all the many people Elias knew.

Jonas had a very happy childhood growing up. He loved traveling the city and learning what was going on in the different part. What building was new, who was opening a restaurant, even who was cheating on who (well, when he was older that was more interesting). Jonas was a lively and talkative lad who others found a liking to, especially after he was introduced by his father.

Jonas was growing up and the time was approaching for him to take an apprenticeship. He was considering becoming a storyteller and enrolling at one of the bardic colleges, since he loved to talk to people. While he loved to learn new things, nothing in books seemed to appeal to him. His father of course wanted Jonas to join the Guild and be a Shiv like him. Jonas was considering that as he respected his father a great deal and the work he did, especially since it would still let him head to different parts of the city.

All that changed one snowy winter day. One of the few trips Elias didn’t let Jonas go on, was a dangerous trip on the Understreets, that had to pass under Ward 3 on the replacement Old Main Line into Ward 11. Elias was traveling with a crotchety old gnome named Brongnibum. They were transporting some precious cargo in the form of various pieces of art and Elias was nervous when he left that day. Another Shiv found Elias and Brongnibum later that day, battered and bloody and their train wrecked and plundered. The Shivs took great care of the family during the time it took Elias to get healed and back on his feet, and Jonas was very grateful to the Guild. But he was getting annoyed at the Constabulary. Instead of being out there looking for the criminals, they spent, what he thought, was far too much time questioning his father and Brongnibum. The authorities suspected Brongnibum and or Elias had staged or was in league with these brigands who stole the cargo.

Jonas didn’t believe it for a minute. And if the Constables weren’t going to find them, then by Barcarus he would. And so Jonas set out to clear his father’s name. Of course he wasn’t sure how really. But he started the only place he knew, the site of the attack. Once there he started looking around, but didn’t find anything. He sat and pondered what to do. He headed up to a pawn shop his father had taken him to, and started casually asking questions. Jonas proceeded in this vein for a while and slowly a few leads started to come out. His father’s fuzzy recollections of the attack combined with a few clues he got lead him to a run down building in Ward 3. He was watching the building closely when a heavy had was laid upon his shoulder, startled he turned to see a dark man with his finger over his mouth for silence. Jonas stammered out an explanation to this stranger upon intense questioning. The man stared at Jonas and then a rare, small smile cracked his face “Not bad kid” was all he said. Jonas had met Shilon, a tracker and private investigator. Some of the owners of the art had hired Shilon to find their art, whoever had it. Shilon had tracked the perpetrators back to this hide out. He was impressed that Jonas had made it here as well and recognized a keen mind in this youth. Once they determined that bandits were inside, they summoned the Ward 3 Special Squad and watched as they raided the place. The art was inside, except for a few pieces that had been fenced, those were part of what lead Jonas here.

His fathers name cleared, Jonas was free to pick his apprenticeship. Not surprisingly he chose to train with Shilon. Well once he found him that is. That was Shilon’s entrance exam, to find him in the city. It took Jonas 5 full weeks, but he did finally find Shilon, in a pub, waiting for him. Over the next few years Shilon taught Jonas many of the skills need to be a tracker, how to silently sneak up on your mark, how to use a bow and sword when needed (and there were many times they were needed). Jonas did have his own unique talents. Shilon had this uncanny ability to find footprints and signs of travel that Jonas could never quite master. He did however have a greater affinity for people and used his glibness and contacts to find out many things that weren’t told in Shilon’s tracks. Jonas grew into a well trained investigator and made a good living with Shilon finding things and people that those willing to pay wanted found.

They had been staking out a house where a bugbear was reputed to be living outside the Damnit Wall in the 3rd Ward and had been mugging passersby. The bugbear appeared in the door and waved in their direction, they had been spotted. But it was a signal and Shilon and Jonas were set upon by a gang of Half-Orcrats, they fought off as many as they could but in the end there were too many. Shilon held them off and told Jonas to run. Looking back, Jonas saw Shilon fall to the pack. Tears blurred his vision as he ran out of Ward 3.

The loss of his mentor, the attack on his father, the generosity of the Guild all played a part in Jonas’ next decision. He wanted to fight crime, to solve these crimes, but a lone man was very vulnerable. The Guild had always said “The strength of many, the courage of a few”. Jonas needed the many. He knew that he could make a difference, but he needed a partner, no he had had a partner, he needed more. He was pondering how to find, assemble and train a large group of investigators to do this. He was sitting in the Oar and Cutlass drinking a pint, when his eye rested upon a poster:

“The 14th ward needs you!
Men and Women of action, Ignatious Ironshirt, Magistrate of the 14th Ward is looking for qualified applicants to protect the peace and good order. The special investigative squad is in need of new recruits. Guard, Military, Watch, or Investigative experience preferred but not required. If you have honor, a desire to serve, and the taste for a challenge then the 14th Ward wants you. Present yourself to Ignatious Ironshirt in the second hour after high noon on the 13th at the Magisterial offices. Uniforms and Arms provided to successful applicants.
- [signed] I. I.”

This was it, if ever Baracus had made a sign to him this was it. Here was away to use his talents, but to have the strength of all the Constabulary at his back should he need it. This was the next step. He downed his beer, and caught the next train to the 14th ward and walked into the waiting room, and said "I am here to see Magistrate Ironshirt regarding the special investigator position”

Character
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Jonas Kewiczak
[B]Class:[/B] Urban Ranger
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] NG
[B]Deity:[/B] Barcarus

[B]Str:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 5        [B]XP:[/B] XXXX
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3 (08p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +5         [B]HP:[/B] 38 (5d8+5)
[B]Con:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +5     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] XX/XXXX
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] XX
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +3        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +X
[B]Cha:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -X         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] XX%

[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1128654]Jonas HP roll (4d8+8+5=34)[/url] 
[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1128656]Jonas HP roll reroll '1' (1d8=5)[/url] 

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +5    +X    +3    +X    +X    +X    18
[B]Touch:[/B] 13              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 15

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      4    +1  +1      +6
[B]Ref:[/B]                       4    +3   +1     +8
[B]Will:[/B]                      1    +1    +1    +3

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Truncheon                      +7     1d4+2     20x2
Shortbow                      +8     1d6+2     20x3
   Rapid shot               +6/+6   1d6+2     20x3
Shortsword                   +7      1d6+1     19-20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Gnome, Orc

[B]Abilities:[/B] Animal Companion, Favored Enemy: Humanoid (Orckind) +2, Favored Enemy: Brotherhood of Eleven +4.

[B]Feats:[/B] Urban Tracking, Endurance, Rapid Shot*, Investigator, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Persuasive.

* In No or Light Armor

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 72       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 8/4
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Bluff                       0     +2   +2     +4
Climb                      2    +1          +3
Gather Information         8    +2   +4    +14
Handle Animal              5    +2          +7
Hide                       6    +3          +9
Intimidate                0     +2   +2    +4
Jump                       2    +1          +3
Knowledge (Local)      7    +2          +9
Listen                     8    +1          +9
Move Silently              6    +3          +9
Prof: Constable          4     +2          +6
Ride                       2    +3    +2   +7
Search                     8    +2   +2    +12
Sense Motive               7    +1          +8
Spot                       7    +1          +8
Swim                       2    +1          +3
Use Rope                   2    +3          +5

Spells:
1st/1

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Health Plan             1,000 gp
Health Plan Bruno     1,000 gp
MMC Lifestyle (3 months)    75 gp
Black Truncheon of Barcarus    free
Wand of Cure Light Wounds 50 charges   750 gp
Mithral Shirt +1    2,100 gp
Comp Shortbow (Str +1) +1    2,450 gp
MW Short Sword          310 gp
Cloak of Resistance +1     1,000 gp
Quiver/ 20 arrows

[B]Total Weight:[/B]XXlb      [B]Money:[/B] 110gp XXsp XXcp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX

Animal Companion:
Bruno, Riding Dog
Size/Type: Medium Animal 
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp) 
Initiative: +2 
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares) 
Armor Class: 19 (+3 armor,+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17 
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3 
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3) 
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3) 
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. 
Special Attacks: Trip 
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent 
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6 
Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1 (+5 tracking by scent) 
Feats: Alertness, TrackB 
MW Studded leather barding 200 gp
Trip (Ex)
A dog that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dog. 
Link
Share Spells

[B]Age:[/B] 20
[B]Height:[/B] 6'1"
[B]Weight:[/B] 170lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Green
[B]Hair:[/B] Brown
[B]Skin:[/B] Fair

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maeglin

First Post
Leif said:
Looks very promising. Would you have a problem with adjusting the place names in Rahvin's history to match names in our world?

No problem at all! :D

Our tabletop DM usually just has a sketch of the campaign world and lets us make up details on neighboring nations, as he finds it helps him get some nice plot hooks from the backgrounds we come up with, but it looks like you really have this setting nicely developed (lots of Wiki pages worth, as I understand it)

Let me know what you have in mind. The whole background is a rough outline anyway, feel free to expand or modify it. Hopefully, we can get some nice story hooks from it :cool:

Besides, it's Helfdan's fault anyway, he started making up place names... ;)

Maeglin

First Post
Okey dokey:

Here are the preliminary stats for Rahvin Stormcrow. Equipment, description and such will follow.

Very nice HP rolls :D
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1099320

And here are the stats:
[sblock=Rahvin Stormcrow]Rahvin Stormcrow
Human male
5th level Rogue

Str 12 (+1)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 16 (+3)
Alignment: neutral good
HP: 33

Base Attack: +3 (+4 with melee weapons, +5 with ranged weapons)
Initiative: +2
Speed 30’
Saves: F +2, R +6, W+2

Racial Features:
+1 Feat at level 1
+4 skill points lvl1
+1 skill point/level

Class Features:
Class weapon and Armor Proficiencies
Sneak Attack +3d6
Trapfinding
Evasion
Trap Sense +1
Uncanny Dodge

Feats
Toughness
Toughness
Jack of All Trades (Complete Adventurer)

Skills: 44 points at first level, then 11 points per level = 88

Gather Information (Cha) 6 + 3 + 2 = 11
Knowledge (local) (Int) 6 + 2 = 8
Diplomacy (Cha) 6 + 3 + 2 = 11
Disguise (Cha) 6 + 3 + 2 = 11
Bluff (Cha) 6 + 3 = 9
Sense Motive (Wis) 6 + 1 = 7
Move Silently (Dex) 7 + 2 = 9
Hide (Dex) 7 + 2 = 9
Spot (Wis) 6 + 1 = 7
Search (Int) 7 + 2 = 9
Open Lock (Dex) 6 + 2 = 8
Listen (Wis) 6 + 1 = 7
Forgery (Int) 6 + 2 = 8
Disable Device 7 + 2 = 9[/sblock]

Let me know if you approve.

Scotley

Hero
Wow the character elves were busy while I slept. Looks like lots of good stuff. Busy day today, but I'll try to get through it all.

Scotley

Hero
Lord_Raven88 said:
Okay. I've started work on a NG Human Marshall 4 / Swashbuckler 1

I'll post his background once I've finished working thru it all.

I'm glad you took our raining on your parade so well. Your first attempt was creative and interesting, it just didn't quite fit with npc's we've already stuck you with. I'm rather partial to marshalls and interested to see what you come up with.

Remove ads