[OOC] Constables of the 14th Ward

Brother Allard

First Post
Elwood Norris is a bright-eyed, tow-headed young man with all the guileless enthusiasm of an eight-week-old puppy. His narrow shoulders and swallow's chest don't mark him as an excellent candidate for the guard, nor does his native sweetness. Naivete has no place in police work, and few suspect he'll last long. But then, they said much the same about him at the Conjuration Academy, and he proved them wrong, graduating near the top of his class.

Ignatious senses something in this kid. There's potential there, he's sure of it, though he'd be hard pressed to point to any particular evidence. Over the years, however, he's learned to trust his instincts - he's not often wrong about this sort of thing.

lawful good human diviner 5

Elwood's spellbook would focus on divination (obviously), but also conjurations like web and grease, and save-or-suck rays (exhaustion, enfeeblement, etc). His proscribed school would be evocation. Basically, detective + human tazer.

Helfdan

First Post
Scotley said:
I like the concept, but keep in mind that in general Ignatious doesn't like to see his men packing heavy weapons and wearing heavy armor when performing their day to day duties. In time of siege or if you go out in the wilderness or over to the 12th then the heavier the better. However, having the constables armed to the teeth and clanking about makes it look like the streets of the 14th are dangerous. Iggie doesn't like anything that makes him look bad. A note about that should be on the wiki, but I fear it hasn't been transferred over. I will remedy that as soon as possible.

No worries on this regard. It has never made sense to me that a knight (or paladin, or heavy fighter, etc) would wander around in heavy armor all the time, much less in a city. Alarion would favor a mailshirt for such times. Also, he would carry only a sword and dagger in addition to his truncheon. Lance and mace-and-chain are for the battlefield, after all.

Glad you liked the idea. I like the level of detail you have put into this city!

Scotley

Hero
Helfdan said:
No worries on this regard. It has never made sense to me that a knight (or paladin, or heavy fighter, etc) would wander around in heavy armor all the time, much less in a city. Alarion would favor a mailshirt for such times. Also, he would carry only a sword and dagger in addition to his truncheon. Lance and mace-and-chain are for the battlefield, after all.

Glad you liked the idea. I like the level of detail you have put into this city!

Very good. I'm glad you like the detail of the city. You're only seeing the tip of the iceburg. The players' wiki is a highly pared down version of the DM's wiki. The players' wiki runs to something like 60 webpages, while the super secret eyes only I'd show you, but I'd have to kill you DM's version is right at twice as many page. As we take out the secret stuff we'll be porting more over to the players page as well as adding new stuff.

Leif

Adventurer
Helfdan said:

Alarion needs to make it light armor. That's the most that's permitted under regular urban circumstances. And any METALLIC light armor needs to be worn under other clothing. (cloak, robe, heavy tunic, etc.) Alarion also should be VERY slow to use that sword and dagger while he's on duty. That's what the truncheon's for!

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Heavy Armor

Now, I guess a little more explanation is in order in this regard. ORDINARILY, which means during days in which there is no immediate threat of war, medium and heavy armor are not allowed on the city streets of Lauralie Summerhome. However, if there is a threat of war or invasion, this rule is suspended. Also, if you are on your way directly out of town you can put your armor on at home, because it's just silly to say that you have to leave the city gates and THEN don your armor. Again, if you are headed to a destination other than the streets of Lauralie Summerhome, or a building within its boundaries, it is permissible to wear full battle accoutrements as you cross the city on your way out the gate. Just don't dilly-dally as you're leaving town, or questions will be asked.

Also, the Understreets of Lauralie Summerhome are still streets, so the same rules apply. Anything even one inch more removed from the surface is a whole 'nuther story, though! The relaxation of rules due to war may sometimes apply here on the understreets even when the rest of the city is at peace, depending upon the circumstances. Your Magistrate will instruct you in this regard.

Scotley

Hero
Weapons are another sticky matter for constables. Your trusty truncheon can deal either lethal or non-lethal damage and everyone in the special squad is trained in its proper use. You may only use lethal force if you are attacked with lethal force or if you are acting in defense of a citizen being attacked with lethal force. That includes spells. Ignatious doesn't like to see his men walking around with halberds on their shoulder. If you carry other weapons, and I know you will, take some pains not to be too obvious about it or your boss will call you in for a little chat. As with armor, if the city is in peril then break out the long-axes and two-handers.

Helfdan

First Post
This is awesome. I get DM rulings in stereo! :lol:
But those laws make a lot of sense to me, given the type of setting you describe (Lankhmar-type, very civilized city). Alarion should not give you any trouble, as though he is not as understanding of such laws as I am, he is prone to respect authority :)
From a literary point of view, I like the role of the feudal knight in a more advanced city. A courteous barbarian, if you will.

Leif

Adventurer
Helfdan said:
This is awesome. I get DM rulings in stereo! :lol:
But those laws make a lot of sense to me, given the type of setting you describe (Lankhmar-type, very civilized city). Alarion should not give you any trouble, as though he is not as understanding of such laws as I am, he is prone to respect authority :)
From a literary point of view, I like the role of the feudal knight in a more advanced city. A courteous barbarian, if you will.

The sad thing is that we are trying to achieve DM rulings in digital surround sound. *sigh* Maybe ONE more upgrade and we'll be there?

Also, please note that the classification of spells as lethal damage cuts both ways! The bad guys aren't supposed to do it, but neither are you, except in response to lethal force. Oh, and spells that merely restrain, like Web, are okay, too. But, actually, the use of magic missile or lightning bolt would probably draw less flack from the boss than the use of a bastard sword.

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
Scotley said:
Imago's daughters are all grown up. Keepstorm players would benefit from dex, str, and skills like balance, jump or tumble as well as feats that promote mobility, endurance and athleticism. Fortunately, those skills all come in pretty handy for adventurers as well. :) We didn't plan to make Keepstorm a huge part of the game simply because it might leave a lot of players on the sidelines, so I would recommend you spend most of your resources on things useful in police work.
Cops in movies are always ex-jocks. I watched Point Break. ;)

Remove ads