• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Dichotomy's Age of Worms: The Whispering Cairn

michael_noah

First Post
I'm absolutely still here. Sorry for not chiming in earlier, I'd been checking the game thread to see if anything was happening, and shirked my responsibility for this one.

I'd second (I think this has been proposed) that having 1 NPC, and running with a 4 PC party would probably be the best bet at this point. If some good candidate comes along, it leaves open the option of adding them in as well.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Let's try four characters then. That means I/we need to decide whether I'll NPC Vixtrin or Byron. I'd like any input you three have on the matter, but here are my thoughts:

I've already been playing Byron, however I've been intentionally keeping him on the sidelines. I could easily see that becoming problematic in the future (since Byron is both quite smart and fairly sociable). Vixtrin, on the other hand, is also fairly smart, but not brilliant, and there would be no way that she would try to assert any leadership role within the group. I think the flavor Vixtrin adds to the group presents a more vivid dynamic, however I'm not sure whether that quality would be good or bad for an NPC. Mechanically, Vixtrin would be easier for me and there would be no conflicts-of-interest when preparing spells for the day. Regardless of whether Byron on Vixtrin departs, there would be a loss of a party niche, and I'm not certain which would be easier to do without.

In the alternative, we could decide to lose both of them and I could make a new NPC. However, that would require the creation of yet another introduction to the party, and I don't know whether it would answer any of the questions that remain.

Thoughts?

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
Mechanically, Vixtrin would be easier for me and there would be no conflicts-of-interest when preparing spells for the day. Regardless of whether Byron on Vixtrin departs, there would be a loss of a party niche, and I'm not certain which would be easier to do without.

It certainly makes sense to NPC the less 'social' NPC, simply to avoid having to take 'front and centre' too much. Mechanics is a factor too (spell prep and the like).

Leaves us with a Bard, a Cleric, a Rogue and a Fighter. That's not BAD. Maybe we're a bit too strong on 'Interpersonal' and 'Utility Infielder' type abilities and a bit soft on offensive Magic, but purely mechanically, it's the sort of thing that could be solved with a Wand of Magic Missiles or something... :)

A new NPC might provide more magical oomph, but cost us heavily in the melee combat department... Ultimately it depends on what's coming up.

A'Mal

michael_noah

First Post
I'd agree with what I think you're both saying. Vixtrin is the best bet to keep, as losing either means we're missing something from our party, but keeping Vixtrin has added benefits. A bard, a cleric, and a rogue should be able to solve almost all problems that might normally require a "wizardly" solution.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Alright. I'm going to presume that TiCaudata is on board. Let's get this thing moving again!

There will likely be some minor things still, but we can handle those as they arise.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Hey guys. Sorry for not posting yet. I've been forced to stay in rural Minnesota for the next couple of days. The only access I have is terribly slow dialup on a really old PC. I haven't yet been able to get my laptop to work with the ISP here, so I don't have online access to my maps and such.

If I have time, I'll try to figure something out, but in the meantime, the game may need to be on hold for a couple of days.

TiCaudata

First Post
I'm out of town for work the next couple days, I'll keep firing until it's dead or reason says run.

edit: huh I guess it didn't matter

Last edited:

Tonks

First Post
[sblock]Upon further review I realize I may have greatly overstepped myself with my first post and do offer my apologies and retract the offer until such time as it may be resubmitted with more tact.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads