[OOC] Dichotomy's Age of Worms: The Whispering Cairn

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
Anyone heard anything from Amal lately? He's not been on for awhile.

Hey folks - Sorry about that. I was away from the In Campaign board for just a bit, but pretty much away from the OOC discussion altogether since the boards crashed.

No one particular reason - a bit of a 'rush' business wise combined with an almost crushing despondency after the boards ate our game. ALTHOUGH, I'm really quite pleased by how well it has been recovered.

But I am here!

A'Mal

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
We seem to be at a good place to take care of some business.

First, accounting matters. Thus far you have found:
In the abandoned mine office: a hooded lantern, 8 pints of oil, 5 tindertwigs, 2 flasks that appear to be alchemist's fire, and 50 foot long silk rope​

Let us do please divvy this up. The Alchemists Fire would have served well against those bugs, but I had completely forgotten that we had it!

Sprout would be interested in a Flask of Oil and an Alchemists Fire if there are no objections... I seem to recall that Lartis had the Lantern...

Dichotomy said:
I think that of the things you found, only one tindertwig and one pint of oil have been used.

Actually, the Tindertwig that was used was from Sprout's starting equipment (he's down t 4 of the 5 initially purchased...​

Thank you for a very fine gaming experience. I'm sorry, but something totally unrelated to this particular game has made it untenable for me to continue playing (or DMing, for that matter) on this or any other website. My apologies for my sudden withdrawl.

Dichotomy

Explorer
CanadienneBacon said:
Thank you for a very fine gaming experience. I'm sorry, but something totally unrelated to this particular game has made it untenable for me to continue playing (or DMing, for that matter) on this or any other website. My apologies for my sudden withdrawl.
I am incredibly sorry you can't be with us anymore. It was a pleasure having you. I hope that everything goes well for you.

Dichotomy

Explorer
My apologies to the three of you that are still here for my lack of posting the last few days. Things became somewhat hectic, and then I became indecisive as to what to do about our diminishing players.

For the sake of full disclosure, I want to note right away that I am currently less enamoured with the PbP format than I was at the beginning. I had suspected that we'd get a least a little further along before the game degenerated. So I am disappointed in how things turned out, and I am somewhat apprehensive about the future of this game.

That being said, I am still willing to continue if we are willing to recommit to the game. So, the first question is whether you three have that desire. If you are sort of "iffy" about it, I'd rather know. I think I'd prefer not playing over playing if you aren't pumped about it. And don't think that you need to hang on for the sake of the other three of us. I am willing do something (though I don't yet know what) with whatever members want to continue.

Which leads to the second question... What should we do if we decide to continue? I can continue NPCing Byron and add Vixtrin to that, but I think that would be unwise. I MIGHT be able to tailor the adventure for only the three of you. We can try recruiting again. My last re-recruitment effort didn't go well (and it seems that I may have gained some ill will from it; my fault probably). Do you three have thoughts on that?

So, to sum up, do you each really want to keep playing, and if so, what should we do about it?

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
My apologies to the three of you that are still here for my lack of posting the last few days. Things became somewhat hectic, and then I became indecisive as to what to do about our diminishing players.

I understand - that indecisiveness has kept me from posting as well.

Dichotomy said:
So, the first question is whether you three have that desire. If you are sort of "iffy" about it, I'd rather know.

I AM iffy. This was my first PbP game (after 20+ years of gaming and several years on this board). I was very pumped up in the beginning, and things were fun. I felt invested in what was going on. Then the game went up in smoke when the boards went down - which really took the wind out of my sails. Then the game was reconstituted, but it never seemed to regain it's stride...

And at this point, we're effectively looking at starting over. I'm quite discouraged. I can only imagine that it's about 100% worse for you (the DM). I know I'd be significantly vexxed.

And I'm not saying that I'm angry at the departing players - life is life and things come up, I get that. Happens in my table top game too.

I guess what it boils down to is: If PbP means reconstituting the party from scratch every two or three encounters then it's not a format that's going to work for me. Then again, I've exactly one sample to base that concern on. Perhaps this is really unusual and I ought to give it another shot. I'm very open to convincing on that front.

Also, it's not like I'm going anywhere, and I really like Sprout; so IF this game IS going to continue, then I'm perfectly willing to give it another shot (and I can commit to holding up Sprout's end). If it isn't, then this is the best time to end it.

Dichotomy said:
Which leads to the second question... What should we do if we decide to continue? I can continue NPCing Byron and add Vixtrin to that, but I think that would be unwise.

I agree. One NPC can be useful (good for nudging the PCs), but too many and it starts to feel as if the DM is playing a game with himself and the PCs are just spectating.

Dichotomy said:
I MIGHT be able to tailor the adventure for only the three of you.

In my home game, I'd continue with the PCs I have and perhaps one NPC (adjusting encounters as appropriate) - Still a party of four - which should be perfectly viable.

A'Mal

Dichotomy

Explorer
In any case, whatever we decide will have to be put on hold for a bit. I will be gone from Monday until the 6th or 7th. You should, of course, feel free to discuss things in my absence.

TiCaudata

First Post
Maybe try another advertisment posting in your absence? Maybe see if any of Bacon's players are looking to transition in?

I'm hanging around for as long as you keep writing responses to dialog...

Dichotomy

Explorer
Well, I'm back from my trip, and more or less readjusted to sleeping at the proper times.

Amal, your feelings on the matter seem very similar to my own. I have only been in a few games here. In two of them, the DM simply vanished in the middle of what seemed to be awesome games. One is going rather slowly. The last was supposed to begin last October or something, and has only now actually started (and is going slowly).

That was actually the reason why I wanted to start a game myself. I thought that if I carefully picked players, we'd get a game that wouldn't dissolve. Alas, stuff comes up even with good players.

So, it looks like there is still some interest in continuing. michael_noah, do you have any opinion (assuming you are still around)?

Remove ads