• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC discussion: Heroes of the House Tharashk! (Full)

cdsaint

First Post
Thanks to all who responded, I'll be taking a closer look at characters and starting an RG thread tomorrow.

Good night, Chris

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Good deal. :)

I'm currently considering a dwarven cleric of House Kundarak that works with House Tharashk in maintaining its vaults. In essence, he's part of the diplomatic corps and is on loan from Kundarak to Tharashk to make sure that their vaults and the Eberron dragonshards they hold are secure. He's completely loyal to Kundarak, but takes it as a point of pride that the vaults he's responsible for hold and that the wealth of Tharashk is safe. In game terms, he'd be a cleric of Kol Korran with the Commerce and Charm domains and max ranks in Diplomacy and Craft (Vaultbuilding), maybe with the Least Mark of Warding (misdirection 1/day, +2 Search).

I can post more tomorrow, but for now, it's pretty close to bedtime.

Nick

Jarval

Explorer
rangerjohn said:
I take it artificers are not arcane casters? At least I hope not with a 50% spell failure chance.
Artificers are something of an oddity on that count, To quote the Eberron CSB:

Eberron CSB said:
An artificer is not a spellcaster, but he does have the ability to imbue items with magical infusions. Infusions are neither arcane or divine...
Just to double-check, I did a quick search over on the Eberron message boards, and found an answer to this question. http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260891

Old Fezziwig

Cazanjan d'Kundarak

Cazanjan d’Kundarak
Male Dwarf Clr2 of Kol Korran; Size M; HD 2d8+6; hp 19; Init –1 (-1 Dex); Spd 20 ft.; AC 16 (-1 Dex, +5 breastplate, +2 heavy steel shield); BAB +1; Grp +2; Atk +2 melee (masterwork heavy mace, 1d8/x2), +0 ranged (light crossbow, 1d8/19-20/x2); Full Atk as Atk; SA See below; SQ See below; AL LN; SV Fort +6, Ref -1, Will +6; Str 12, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Appraise +4/+6 (0 ranks, +2 Int, +2 Dwarf, +2 synergy with vaults), Concentration +6 (3 ranks, +3 Con), Craft: Vault-making +7/+9 (5 ranks, +2 Int, +2 Dwarf with stone and metal), Diplomacy +6 (5 ranks, +1 Cha), Knowledge: History +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int); Knowledge: Religion +5 (3 ranks, +2 Int), Listen +2 (0 ranks, +2 Wis), Profession: Diplomat +4 (5 ranks, +3 Wis), Search +4 (0 ranks, +2 Int, +2 Feat), Spot +2 (0 ranks, +2 Wis); Least Dragonmark of Warding (misdirection 1/day, +2 on Search checks).

Dwarf Traits: Base speed 20 ft. even with a medium or heavy load, darkvision 60 ft., stonecunning, weapon familiarity (dwarven urgrosh, dwarven waraxe), stability (+4 bonus to resist bull rushes and trip attacks), +2 racial save bonus against poison, +2 racial save bonus vs. spells and spell-like effects, +1 racial attack bonus against orcs and goblinoids, +4 dodge bonus to AC against giant types, +2 racial bonus to Appraise checks, +2 racial bonus to Craft checks with stone or metal.

Cleric Abilities: Turn undead, spontaneous casting (cure spells), divine spells (bonus spells: 0/1/1/1), domain abilities (Charm: +4 boost to Cha 1/day for 1 minute; Commerce: +10 competence bonus to Profession checks made to earn a living, Appraise as class skill).

Spells
Domains: Charm, Commerce
Spells per Day 4/3+1

Typical Spell Lists [* = domain spell]

Non-adventuring
0-level: detect magic, detect poison, light, purify food and drink
1st-level: charm person*, command, comprehend languages, detect evil

Adventuring: Offensive
0-level: detect magic, guidance, inflict minor wounds, resistance
1st-level: bless, charm person*, divine favor, magic weapon

Adventuring: Defensive
0-level: detect magic, detect poison, resistance, virtue
1st-level: bless, charm person*, entropic shield, shield of faith

Equipment: masterwork heavy mace, breastplate, heavy steel shield, light crossbow (10 bolts), traveler's outfit, noble's outfit [not taken on adventures], silver holy symbol, backpack [masterwork artisan's tools (+2 circumstance bonus to Craft checks), silk rope (50 ft.), healer's kit (+2 circumstance bonus to Heal checks), bedroll, winterblanket], signet ring (seal of House Kundarak), belt pouch [2 thunderstones, 1 flask of holy water, 23 gold pieces, 4 silver]

Last edited:

cdsaint

First Post
Jarval,
I agree that arcane spell failure is not a problem for an Artificer. Two problems I noted with your character though are:

1) It looks to me like you accidentally spent 34 points on your stats. Please double check.

2) Artificers have medium armor proficiency, Adamantine body is treated as if you are wearing heavy armor. This would mean that until 3rd level (or whenever you choose to take heavy armor proficiency) your armor check penalty of -5 will count against your attack rolls and all skill checks that involve moving. I'm just checking to make sure you're aware of this. Taking Mithral body instead would eliminate this problem, as would taking a level of any class that gives heavy armor proficiency.

Chris

rangerjohn

Explorer
KL your profession: vault maker should be 5 because of your +3 wisdom modifier.
Although professions aren't usually, crafts. Thier supposed opperate under similiar lines. Your mentioned him being in the diplimatic core, maybe he could have profression ambassador?

Old Fezziwig

Thanks, rangerjohn and cdsaint. I should have equipment up later this evening. For now, I need to see what I can forage up for a late lunch.

Nick

Remove ads