• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ooc] dnd - the nameless [thread closed]

doghead

thotd
Velmont said:
I like Hewik. He is like a boy in a middle of somethig too big for him. He is kind of timid, but that's just because he havn't found his way yet (and I don't necersserly mean found a druid, even if that my favorite outcome, he may evolve into a lot of thing). He is just not a warrior or figther type.

Sorry, but I am a bit lost now. where is Hewik presently?

If you go back a couple of post in the ic thread, you will find a map of the inn that indicates who was in each room. Hewik is still in his room.

BTW, nice description - "a boy in the middle of something..."

the head of the dog.

doghead

thotd
I've opened up the game for new players. One, possibly two slots. I just wanted to let everyone know.

Recruitment and generation details are in the first couple of posts.

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead, If you're still in the market for a player, I'd like to give it a go. Looks like an interesting game :)

Ian

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Thanks, Maerdwyn. But 'interesting' is not the term I would use. 'Dead in the water' perhaps.

muhcashin and djrdjmsqrd, bear with me for a little here.

I figure that I can manage running about three games max. I currently have three on my plate. But I also have a couple of other ideas floating around in my head that I would like to try. The nameless has been rather limping along for a while. It had only 20 posts in the last month (with 5 players, we should be doing that in less than a week).

So these are the options.

Pull the plug & start a new game from scratch This is my least favourite. I'm a sentimental guy and want to see the 'nameless' grow and prosper. On the other hand, it would allow me to try out some things that I have been working on.

Reconfigure and reboot I - gng Quite frankly, I can't come to terms with the the HP progression of dnd. It makes me reluctant to move characters into the the higher levels. At this point, I intend to use Ken Hood's grim and gritty rules for my games in the future. If this game were using those rules, it wouldn't be an issue. The conversion is fairly straightforward, and it will require minimal adjustment on the players part, as I do all the rolls etc myself (for all you know, I could have been using the gng rules all along). So an option here is to reconfigure the game for gng, close part II, and reboot the game (part III) in Killington.

Reconfigure and Reboot II - gng classless A post in the house rules thread gave me the basis for a classless character generation and progression system. It draws straight from the standard arrays of skills, feats, saves, and stats. The full thread is here.

It works like this:

doghead said:
-- Classes --

There are no classes. Characters are built using a Construction Point (CP) system.

First level: 12 CP
Each additional level 9CP.

- Automatic Advancement -

The following advancement is fee at each new level.

+0.5 BAB (fractional)
4 Skill Points
+1 to any one save

- Selective Advancement -

1 CP upgrade BAB to +0.75 -or- 2 CP upgrade BAB to +1.0
1 CP +2 Skill Points (maximum +6 SP)
5 CP select an 'entry class' feat
4 CP select an 'entry core' feat
3 CP select any 'progression' feat.
1 CP for a +1 to any additional save, maximum of +2 to any single save at 1st level and no more than +1 increase to any single save at all later levels.

* 'entry' feats have no other feat as a prereq.
* 'class' feats come from the class description and are only available to those classes to which it is asscribed - ie Rage for barbarians.
* 'core' feats are those listed in the SRD under Feats - ie TWF.
* 'progression' feats (class and core) are those which have another feat as a prereq - ie Moblity (requires Dodge) - or forms part of a sequence - ie Rage 2/day (requires Rage 1/day).

- Notes -

* As Light AP is the entry feat for the other AP's, so Simple WP is the entry feat for the other WP's.

Characters built with this system tend to be a little leaner than those from of the standard classes. The flip side is that you get what want, in the order that you want it. Want to be able to Rage?

doghead said:
A Straight Eight

The following was built with 8CP at every level.

Lisa
Human Female 1
Concept: Soldier.

Str 15, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 14

Level 1
bab: +0.5 +0.5 (2)
saves: +1 fort, +1 will (1), +1 fort (1)
skills: 4 +1 (int) +1 (human) + 2 (1) = 8x4 = 32.
*ranks - Climb 4, Handle Animal 4, Intimidate 4, Jump 4, Listen 4, Ride 4, Swim 4, Knowledge (military) 4.
feats entry: simple wp (auto), entry: light ap (auto), entry: combat expertise (human), progresssion: improved trip (3).

The original Warrior 1.

Lisa
Human Warrior 1
Hit dice: 1d8+3 (hp 11)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 Studded Leather), Touch 13, FF 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: +3 Melee (1d6+2, Quarterstaff) or +3 Melee (1d4+2, knife) or +4 Ranged (1d4+2, Sling)
Full Attack:
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: None
Saves: Fortitude +5, Reflex +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 14
Skills: Climb 2/+4, Handle Animal 2/+4, Intimidate 2/+4, Jump 2/+4, Ride 2/+4, Swim 2/+4, Knowledge (military) 2/+4
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip.
Equipment: Quarterstaff, Knife, Sling, 10 bullets.
Languages: Common, Halfling.

Existing characters should be reconfigured using the new rules. Once that is done, we will consider any discrepancies and any adjustments.

Obviously, the system fairly untested, and potentially open to abuse. The golden rule would be simple - it has to make sense in the context of the setting and narative.

Deadline Lets get this decided, one way or another, as soon as possible. 48 hours should be enough time.

the head of the dog.

muhcashin

Explorer
I personnally don't see a need for a major rule overhaul. I believe option 2 would suit the game perfectly, but then again I don't play in the Nameless yet.

About starting over, I believe that the Nameless have been around for a considerable amount of time, the players don't necessarily want to see their PCs die away, especially in a game that seems much tougher than regular D&D, thus making the players all the more sentimental about it.

doghead

thotd
muhcashin. In this I agree with you.

For me, as a player, a character is not just a set of numbers generated to kill monsters and amass treasure in the most effective manner. It is a alter ego, an aspect of yourself (perhaps real or desired), given life and through which you can experience things that may not be possible in real life. I am, needless to say, very attached to my characters as a player. And as a DM, I hope to create environments that give my players the type of experience I seek myself.

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead,

I still say the game looks interesting - I'd like to see it continue as well. :) Heroes who become such because of what they do (or try to do), rather than because of their powers or strength, have always been more interesting to me.

As far as rules go, I'm not fussy. However, in nearly every game I've run since 2e came out, I've used some variant hp or healing system, so I'm with you there. I've never tried GnG, but would like to.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
I'm in favor of g'n'g, and I have to say, the classless system looks cool. I like the concept a lot, and it makes for the possibility of creating really interesting characters.

Remove ads