(OOC) Fitz's Folly (ToA PBP)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Have fun on the trip! Good friends of mine just came back from Japan a few weeks ago and gave me a dozen of various flavoured kit kats. Banana is better than you would expect...

Any particular location you are visiting?

I don't know if the athleticism value was a typo, a math error or a copy paste error (I suspect the latter), but yeah it's not +4 it's +1. Sorry about that!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just so there's no confusion or worry here's how the canoes work (including my personally feelings on the vague-rules parts):

The canoes require 2 people paddling to move effectively, but only one "skilled" pilot. Six people total fit, so we already left over-capacity (We have six, plus Weed, who is small - I decided that he fits, but still, it is a cramped boat).

As far as rolls go, unless something dangerous happens you wouldn't need to roll to move, it's just that during exploration scenes I like to gather some rolls from people to use for narration purposes. For example, I tend to use the rolls to come up with encounters, rather than the standard method of rolling on random-encounter charts. Or I just use the rolls to narrate difficulties. Sure, sometimes I might then "punish" bad rolls with potential outcomes like exhaustion, but I'd always give a save against that.

To make a long story short, Miss Imogen CAN paddle one of the canoes with Dellrak, even if she doesn't want to. It shouldn't be disastrous. (Though I agree with her being upset by by the condition of her hands at the end of the day). A second canoe will help if any more NPCs are encountered, too.

Any questions?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
For the record -- I'm fine bringing the second canoe along, but I don't see the need to have paddlers in it when the (mostly empty canoe can be towed.

Unknown.jpeg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh it absolutely can be towed if you like, but you're more versatile and manoeverable with two groups, and like I said, the first canoe is actually a little overloaded (7 passengers, gear).

Though you could put some non-essential gear in the 2nd canoe while towing it, and even put Weed in it without any trouble.

At any rate, this isn't something I think is particularly important either way. Now that the characters have had a solid day's canoe travel, I won't be much of a stickler for "rowing" checks.

Portaging two canoes up the next waterfall will be a bigger issue, I think.

Remove ads