OOC - From the Outside

GlassEye

Adventurer
Ok, Binder Fred is gone now. How will this affect our game? My characters' bonds are mostly negated with the departure of Brier and Slice and I feel the need to rewrite them. Not sure what to do with them exactly.

doghead

thotd
Ok, Binder Fred is gone now. How will this affect our game? My characters' bonds are mostly negated with the departure of Brier and Slice and I feel the need to rewrite them. Not sure what to do with them exactly.

Good question. I hadn't thought about the bonds.

Make a note of them somewhere as "Unresolved". I think that they could potentially still remain story elements.

Then feel free to write new bonds.

Which leads me to another question.

Stick with three characters? Re-recruit another player? Try the "Recruit" move when you get to town?

thotd

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
It might not hurt to get another player in here. If we put up a flag on the thread now, by the time we get to town we could be able to go looking for someone in character, and the player would stand a chance of being ready.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I think another player or two would be a good thing. If we could find two, I would gladly work one of my characters out of the story. As for bonds, I'll think on them a bit. Maybe something will come up in play to help with that.

TillForPie

First Post
I've been kind of following the IC thread and I've been looking for another game to join. If you're willing to have me I'd love to fill the slot.

doghead

thotd
I've been kind of following the IC thread and I've been looking for another game to join. If you're willing to have me I'd love to fill the slot.

Another fan of Courier New. You're in.

Ok. Seriously.

Character generation, classes and races are per the basic DW Rules. Its available online: Dungeon World SRD. There is a lot of addition material available, but as this is something of a play test, I would like to keep it fairly simple for now and stick to what is in the SRD.

Attributes are by array, or was it point buy, or dice? Actually, are there even Attributes in DW? Um, it will be somewhere at the front of the thread.

As you can see, the mechanics don't play a huge role in DW. The action is really driven by the fiction - you describe what you do, and sometimes that triggers a move, and dice are rolled. (I think we have done it once so far.) Being less prescriptive than most games, I think fiction can also shape the outcome; the more compelling the fiction, the more narratively compelling a good outcome.

We currently have two players, three characters. The aim is to bring it up to five characters. We started with two characters each, and thats an option if you wish. But not required.

The game is roughly equal parts exploration/social interaction/combat and about two parts wilderness to one part 'civilisation'.

thotd

TillForPie

First Post
"Marla's philosophy of life is that she might die at any moment. The tragedy - she said - was that she didn't."
Fight Club​

My first character's going to be a human paladin named Tristan Le Pennec. From what I've gathered from the IC thread, the group is traveling through a kingdom ruled and populated by non-humans, but that there are feudal human nations nearby - is that correct? If so, I was thinking Tristan could be from one of those places.

The meat of the character involves his ever-decreasing motivation to struggle on behalf of a world he no longer believes to be worth saving. In his early years, first as a page, then a squire, and eventually a young knight, he was something of a zealot - passion made manifest. After several years spent earning political and religious favor with who-knows-how-many spilled gallons of blood, he transitioned from what was probably something more similar to a fighter into a full-fledged paladin. He no longer needed to eat, drink, or sleep, he could detect lies (both of these things are from the two paladin boons I'd choose for him), heal the sick with his touch, cow others with his divine authority, and most importantly, detect the presence of evil. And detect it he did. Everywhere. It was then that he fully accepted something he'd already begun to suspect: He was an idealist living in a world of cynical and opportunistic weasels. But he wasn't about to spit in the eye of the God who'd blessed him, and so he set himself to his brutal work.

Now decades have passed. Tristan is in his 90s, but thanks to his divine blessing he has only aged to the point that he appears 60 or so. Perhaps there's a limit on how much bloodshed a person can experience in his or her life before the soul is touched, and with the gift of long life has come the curse of apathy. Where once he was Good he is now only Lawful, the bloodshed and the soldiering continuing more out of an unceasing obligation to a deity that is never fully satisfied than because of any righteous fire the man himself possesses. He's an old mule well past his prime (any levels he gains will represent a strengthening of his divine power, rather than a honing of talent), but he bears his load without complaint. At least, no spoken complaints. Who knows what Tristan truly begs for in his morning prayers.

I was thinking perhaps the group could stumble upon him having been trapped somewhere, either due to malice or misfortune, having only survived several months in this fashion thanks to his paladin boon. Considering that particular boon likely wouldn't see much use elsewhere in the game I think it'd be a cool intro.

Let me know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for. If you don't think it'd be a good fit I could come up with something else. In the meantime I'll start mulling over a second character. I'm thinking a fighter, perhaps a dwarven woman.

Last edited:

Remove ads