OOC - From the Outside

GlassEye

Adventurer
Just fill in at least one and you're done.

Cleric Bonds

_______________ has insulted my deity; I do not trust them.

_______________ is a good and faithful person; I trust them implicitly.

_______________ is in constant danger, I will keep them safe.

I am working on converting _______________ to my faith.

Leif

Adventurer
Artur's Bonds

Trickle has insulted my deity; I do not trust them.
Slice is a good and faithful person; I trust them implicitly.
Khyrinnax is in constant danger, I will keep them safe.
I am working on converting Needles to my faith.

These may change as the game develops.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
I think you can replace them if you want (outside combat, I'd guess), but you don't get the XP for it you would if you'd resolved them "at the end of a session"? Which, for us, is going to be the equivalent of a chapter end, I'm guessing?

Speaking of, I don't know Khyrinnax and Artur at all so: which one is likely to be the biggest kill-joy? :devil:

(It's for Brier's "Nothing quite kills the mood like XXX's presence" bond. Should I change it for Artur? Just how preachy is the guy, if at all? (I initially chose Khirynnax for his supposed Troll-spy status, which would tend to make Brier uncomfortable)). I could always leave that one blank until it comes up in game, I guess...

EDIT= Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.

Binder: The adoption is fine but the aging bit is really cool.
Right back at you re Heimdal, GE. Your take's evoking some sort of good-aligned Yog-Sothoth in my head for some reason.

Oh, and let's *definitively* have the "is the Troll male or female" discussion IC, Leif. Please! :D

PvP is total anathema to me -- I absolutely despise it, so no worries there, it just ain't gonna happen.
I feel like it has its place, so long as everybody present is conscious that it's a possibility. As a matter of fact, two of the best games I've been in (Halls of Elysium and Gauntlet) started as solo PvP games and evolved from there. Of course, a great GM helped a lot too :).

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Speaking of, I don't know Khyrinnax and Artur at all so: which one is likely to be the biggest kill-joy? :devil:

(It's for Brier's "Nothing quite kills the mood like XXX's presence" bond. Should I change it for Artur? Just how preachy is the guy, if at all? (I initially chose Khirynnax for his supposed Troll-spy status, which would tend to make Brier uncomfortable)). I could always leave that one blank until it comes up in game, I guess...

Well, I laughed when I saw Khirynnax's name there but that's a good question. I see Khirynnax as somewhat alien, perhaps humorless and obsessed with whatever it is that is the essence of fae that existed before the gods. Add a penchant for shape-shifting and animal characteristics that carry over when he reverts to his elven form and I can easily see him putting a damper on any sort of good-natured camaraderie. But I'm not sure I'll be able to pull that off in play so he may not be the kill-joy that he could be.

Your take's evoking some sort of good-aligned Yog-Sothoth in my head for some reason.

I haven't read much Lovecraft and what I have was many years ago so I went to wikipedia for a quick refresher on Yog-Sothoth and found this quote:

Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.​

Switch in 'Heimdall' for Yog-Sothoth and 'fae' for Old Ones and I think you have an interesting depiction of Heimdall.

doghead

thotd
The Norse pantheon included giants (Loki) and elves (Njord, Frey, & Freya) so if something similar existed in this pantheon there would certainly be room for a cleric to work with the fae. Hacoran church priest less so, I imagine.

The realms are fairly generic, the idea being to provide room accommodate an number of religious beliefs. While they may differ in their deities, they mostly share the same cosmology. So a Norse like pantheon is perfectly possible.

thotd

doghead

thotd
Works for me, Doghead, if maybe with the following tweaks/additions?
  1. Clearly, Slice, Brier and Trickle were hired mercs on Earl Eogan's punitive expedition against Earl Tahnurson's holdings.
  2. I rather like the "Khirynnax rescuing us" version (it helps bond the party together, I think), so can my characters have that memory of it from that night? Since we're dealing with the Fae here, others can have completely different memories of it if they want.
  3. Could we insert a frozen-time/simultaneous individual enticing/soul-geming dream-vision during that first night with the Witching Troll? Where he promises Slice power and Needles his kin? Then it would be perfect on my side of things.
  4. Small tweak: no big thing but unless there's a physical reason for it, I'd just cut out the "one week" back and forth and set the start of the game the next morning, still in that clearing. Just so the characters specifically don't have time to reflect and find their (selfish) center again. Especially important if the bribing sessions above didn't occur (Else Slice and Brier WILL try to squelsh on the deal :)).

EDIT= Do we get a rogue's gallery thread, Doghead?

There are a number of reason's why the character's were with Earl Eogan's party. I will leave it up to each of you to decide. You don't have to reveal everything right now, you can let it come out over time. I will let each of you describe the events of the night (your "frozen-time/simultaneous individual enticing/soul-geming dream-vision") the characters me the Witching Troll. How much you reveal immediately is up to you. The stories need not tally in all details. In fact, the idea that they don't is interesting.

I will give some thought to the opening timings. I am working on the first IC post and hope to have something ready by the end of the weekend.

Done. One character per post I think is best as it will allow linking to individual characters.

thotd

doghead

thotd
Nice work with the Bonds. Because PbP is fairly continuous, I think we will all them to be resolved at any time. Narrate the resolution and state that you think it has been resolved and we will take it from there.

I was thinking of adding one more Bond or link or something for the Witching Troll. Something like: "After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will _____________." Use it to describe what it is the character hopes to gain, that the Witching Troll has intimated is possible, beyond just repayment of the debt. It could be knowledge, power, an item of value or importance. Its up to you.

thotd

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Perfect! Slice and Notch are up on the RG thread.

Slice: After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will give me power enough to take my bloody revenge ten times over.

Needles: After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will introduce me to the court of my true kin.

For the Bonds though, I think the "you can only resolve one per session" thing is meant to pace the awarding of XPs? Since all you need to resolve is the agreement of the other player and since that bond can be immediately replaced by another, if you remove the pacing rule you could theorethically instantly earn an infinite amount of XP (or anywhere in between)? Multiple awards per "session" would now also be possible with the Alignment XP rule and the three other XP triggers on p.78.

[MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION]: What ritual did Khyrinnax show Needles? Something to draw good luck? Something to keep evil spirits away? Or should we make up something on the spot whenever Khirynnax Helps or Hinders him?

Last edited:

Remove ads