[OOC] Heroes of the Middle Reaches : Wandering Star

Sparky

Sorry to see you go, DH. Good luck with the contract.

Pip (or Ranver) would make fine Leaders, either Cleric or Warlord. I wrote both concepts to be flexible for situations just like this.

A second rogue isn't the burden you make it out to be Redclaw. Means we have TWO who can be effective scouts.

Which class do we want more - Warlord or Cleric? With multiple rogues, I'm thinking a Warlord would be good, to help them position... but by the same token, with multiple rogues maybe more healing would be better. :)

helium3

First Post
Well. Im sadly announcing that i got a new big work contract and will have my internet time reduced a bit. As this game havent started yet i rather pull out so i dont make the posting unnecessarily slow as im in other games as well that will alone keep me busy.

Have fun people and im sorry i cant join.

-DH

Bummer. Good luck with the new contract. :)

I would rather that Sparky play the leader, since uhhhh he(?) was playing the wild card from the beginning. That being said, if you REALLY wanna play a leader Redclaw, go ahead.

Whoever does end up playing the leader and if it's a cleric, please let me know what god/goddess the cleric venerates.

I'm just about ready to go on the quests but the presence of a cleric presents some opportunities.

***UPDATE***

I also invited the player of Horta to join so that we still have six players. I like that number. It feels right. Horta's a defender, so we'll definitely want Sparky to play the leader.

Also, the issue of the Caller still hasn't been decided. It'd probably just be easier if I pick someone, so if you DONT want to be the Caller, please speak up.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Hah! Didn't even notice we had OOC thread until now. I'm still in. I'll mod Zarathas' stats a bit. I think it will do me good to have higher Con. Afterall, the Dragonborn racial features have much benefits from Con...

helium3

First Post
Hah! Didn't even notice we had OOC thread until now. I'm still in. I'll mod Zarathas' stats a bit. I think it will do me good to have higher Con. Afterall, the Dragonborn racial features have much benefits from Con...

Hah hah. That's funny. So you probably just thought it was another pbp game dying a premature death, huh?

The Digger

First Post
Although I have quite a lot of computer time available it can be very erratic so it would probably not suit for me to be the caller - unless you're desperate of course!

Redclaw

First Post
No worries. I'm happy to play a rogue. I just thought I'd offer the switch if we needed it.

As far being the Caller, I'm in the process of searching for a job. I have no idea what my access will look like once I find one.

Sparky

In my experience, Callers work better in face-to-face games, as a way to focus the group (that can rapidly get sidetracked into conversations and other distractions). PbP doesn't suffer from that.

It DOES suffer from waiting on individuals. Adding an individual that the DM is waiting for isn't a good thing, IMO.

What's worked in the PbP games that I've been a part of is a guaranteed 'bump day.' A day in the week where the DM moves the plot along based on what's been discussed. Now, that's not to say the DM can't move the plot along faster if the players have been posting lots.

It's a friendly way of saying 'we won't wait for you,' but also 'it's okay if you miss a week here and there.' Does that make sense?

---

PbP Advice for our new-to-PbP DM:

Momentum is the most key element of keeping PbP going. Slow or fast, a steady rate is the surest way to keep a game kicking (that's why the 'bump day' method works well.

Which leads me to the The Player's Corrolary.

The Bump Day Corrolary: It is ALSO the players' responsibility to maintain the momentum of a PbP game. If a good span of time (a week is a good baseline) but you're not posting because you're waiting on other players or the DM, it's time to post again.

Sometimes players need to wait on the results of a roll or something like that, but that doesn't mean you can't post. Post an inner monologue. If you're character's not introspective (or you as a player don't like posting in 3rd person omniscient), post something more about the events that are happening. If the group isn't in combat and other players are lagging, it is important to keep the group moving, make a decision. (Sparky note: I don't want to hold up the game, so if I miss posting and you guys do stuff that my PC wouldn't have done or supported, I'll roll with it, because there's a meta-contract between all of us that we want to do this together. That means, if I'm not posting, I don't get a say.)

A post that lets the players and especially the DM know that people are still checking the game threads and invested. OOC posts don't count. IC posts do.

Ahem.

That was long winded. :)

I'm sure we'll all be just fine.

Working up a Leader.

Preferences? Cleric? Warlord?

Walking Dad

First Post
I would vote for cleric. I just like the idea to have all 4 classic classes in the group.
And a wis- cleric got also ranged attack powers.

@helium3: Do you still need something before copying Jorje's stats into the first post?

helium3

First Post
In my experience, Callers work better in face-to-face games, as a way to focus the group (that can rapidly get sidetracked into conversations and other distractions). PbP doesn't suffer from that.

It DOES suffer from waiting on individuals. Adding an individual that the DM is waiting for isn't a good thing, IMO.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it this way. I may need to have a caller in my RL group. They've been rather unfocused ever since we switched over to 4E.

What's worked in the PbP games that I've been a part of is a guaranteed 'bump day.' A day in the week where the DM moves the plot along based on what's been discussed. Now, that's not to say the DM can't move the plot along faster if the players have been posting lots.

Interesting. What I'm most worried about is asking for a decision and the players discussing what to do but never really stating "this is our decision." From your experience that's not as much of a problem?

PbP Advice for our new-to-PbP DM:

Momentum is the most key element of keeping PbP going. Slow or fast, a steady rate is the surest way to keep a game kicking (that's why the 'bump day' method works well.

I shall keep this well in mind as we go.

Remove ads