• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [OOC] Pathfinder: Jade Regent

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I am not sure what's going on with all of the images, but I keep getting a pop-up saying I don't have permission to view them all when I open the map. I cannot see Fastus for sure.

TS, are you using some sort of permission settings?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Yeah. It worked fine yesterday but it's doing the same thing to me now. I'm guessing there's some setting to set on Fastus' updated counter or something, TS?

Kaodi

Hero
[sblock=Binder Fred][mention=63746]Binder Fred[/mention] Why would I flank and take a -4 penalty to attack because of cover when I can not flank and take no penalty to attack because there is no cover in the way?[/sblock]

Binder Fred

FYI for the others, this arose when I suggested Suldrel should move to B11 next round to gain flanking bonus with Wireth (which is a bit moot now, sadly enough :().

To answer the question though, Pathfinder rules for (soft) cover state that a creature (including your allies) provides cover from your reach attack if you can't trace a line from any one corner of your square (your choice) to all corners of your target square without passing through that creature's square. With Fastus in B10 and Suldrel in A11, this is the case, so Fastus would, technically, have provided soft cover to the creature last round if he'd been in B10. Suldrel could have moved to 09 instead, so this isn't really a big deal for me. This round though, if/when Sachiko and now Fastus go into melee range with the creature... well there simply won't be any open lines of attacks not passing through a square containing a creature. So, as I stated, the best tactical position for Suldrel, to my mind, would therefore likely be right behind Jakira, which is Small and likely provides only partial cover (-2) for two medium creatures battling over it.

That said, a lot of DMs houserule this away, either reducing or removing the cover maluses for reach weapons.... TS?

EDIT = The map works fine for me now. Thanks TS.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]: I always interpreted the "You can move half your speed" part of Acrobatics to mean you could move up to half your speed on a successful roll? <checks yee old internet> Aha! in the Paizo FAQ:

"Acrobatics allows you to make checks to move through the threatened area of foes without provoking attacks of opportunity. You must make a check the moment you attempt to leave a square threatened by an enemy, but only once per foe." Emphasis mine.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm! I assumed it was per threatened square!

Tailspinner, can we get a confirmation on that? If so, I will amend my move to A9 instead of 10.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Map works fine this round, TS. :)

Actually the cover issue is moot this round if Fastus follows my advice. Sudrel's position doesn't need to change since the cover rules are determined from a corner anyway. With 5ft steps and delays we can close and re-open the square needed every round.

Shayuri, the ruling is moot. Sachiko can move from B10-A9 directly and the Acrobatics check covers it. She doesn't need to go through A10 to reach A9.

Even so, moving through a creature's threatened squares (no matter how many) only provokes 1 AoO, so once that is negated with Acrobatics that should be it. Acrobatics doesn't say the check applies to moving through a threatened "square", it specifically says "Area" which allows for multiple squares.

re: Cover. Jakira could be treated like a low wall for a medium foe, but our lickety toad creature is small as well. I think that is regular cover of +4AC to be fair.

Re: Initiative. I don’t mind 1-2 people skipping over me due to time zone differences as long as their actions are resolved in the actual initiative order. This actually helps if someone’s schedule is such that waiting 2-3 hours for the next person means the player goes to bed and cannot post again for 24-48 hours.

Remove ads