(OOC) Planescape: Intrigue

Nordom

Explorer
Ah, okay looks like there's a bit of confusion about how to proceed. Here is a non-exhaustive list of possibilities:

1) going up the stairs and trying to take out assassins piecemeal
2) escaping while the assassins are distracted without drawing attention to themselves
3) creating a distraction to allow the healer to escape
4) trying other ways to get the healer's attention aside from shouting across the street

I can post again as my character tries to see what is upst
Ah, okay looks like there's a bit of confusion about how to proceed. Here is a non-exhaustive list of possibilities:

1) going up the stairs and trying to take out assassins piecemeal
2) escaping while the assassins are distracted without drawing attention to themselves
3) creating a distraction to allow the healer to escape
4) trying other ways to get the healer's attention aside from shouting across the street
regarding #3, it doesn’t seem like the knight wants to escape and seems intent on fighting. Was there something preventing the knight from moving towards Orris?

Nordom

Explorer
I can post again as my character tries to see what is upst

regarding #3, it doesn’t seem like the knight wants to escape and seems intent on fighting. Was there something preventing the knight from moving towards Orris?
I don't think it was clear in my post-

Being actively engaged in combat in Plague Mort, a few reasons why he may not answer to a disembodied voice

1) he can't hear Orris or is otherwise too engaged in combat to pay him heed
2) he does hear Orris but doesn't trust a random stranger calling to him
3) he does hear Orris but is unsure whether it's directed towards
4) he does hear Orris but doesn't care because he truly wants to die

"Why did you come back? You're invisibile, you already have much better advantage in melee than higher ground, we can support you from range."

Grim takes a quick glance around the room: "There's no exit here, so in order to get to higher ground, we would have to go outside and climb the walls. I can try to search if there's a hidden door or stairs here if you wish, but it might cost some precious time".

Carefully trying to remain within the shadows of the room, Grim readies her bow and approaches the exit from one side to take a peek outside towards the fighting cleric to assess how many enemies he's facing. She also wants to see if anyone is still shooting from the windows of the building opposite to one we're standing in.
Pretty sure there are stairs.

Last edited:

How can I help move things along
In general, I think some OOC stuff needs to be communicated in the IC thread. That way it is connected to the action of the story instead of buried in the OOC thread. The presence of stairs, for example, would have been useful.

But also, If you make a huge descriptive post where we can act on something, make sure you include any required rolls at the end of the post, in a spoiler thread or something. Then, after we post, you can include the results of our rolls in your next post and then we can post again in response.

It's also good if we know why we're making rolls. In one post, where we met the Jarex, you asked us all to make Will saves. (there are no will saves in 5e). We didn't know if it was because we were being influenced by a spell like fear or charm or something. As a result, nobody could respond to your post. If you'd added something at the end of your post, "Roll Wisdom to notice something about the Entity" we could at least post an action.

When I've run PbP, I ask for rolls at the end of my posts. After everyone responds, I have the results of everyone's rolls and respond to people's questions at the top of the post (I like it in spoiler tags because it looks cleaner).

As a player, I find it easy to read: At the top of the DM post, there's the resolution of all the crunchy mechanics from previous posts. Then I read the narrative response to what's happened and any new info introduced to the story, then at the bottom is the crunchy mechanics relevant to the new stuff introduced to the narrative..

It's also helpful for players to make rolls in advance - like stealth rolls 'just in case' the DM needs them but I've found it difficult to know when we might need to roll anything. And most of the rolls haven't really followed typical 5e rules so it's hard to anticipate what you might need.

Nordom

Explorer
In general, I think some OOC stuff needs to be communicated in the IC thread. That way it is connected to the action of the story instead of buried in the OOC thread. The presence of stairs, for example, would have been useful.

But also, If you make a huge descriptive post where we can act on something, make sure you include any required rolls at the end of the post, in a spoiler thread or something. Then, after we post, you can include the results of our rolls in your next post and then we can post again in response.

It's also good if we know why we're making rolls. In one post, where we met the Jarex, you asked us all to make Will saves. (there are no will saves in 5e). We didn't know if it was because we were being influenced by a spell like fear or charm or something. As a result, nobody could respond to your post. If you'd added something at the end of your post, "Roll Wisdom to notice something about the Entity" we could at least post an action.

When I've run PbP, I ask for rolls at the end of my posts. After everyone responds, I have the results of everyone's rolls and respond to people's questions at the top of the post (I like it in spoiler tags because it looks cleaner).

As a player, I find it easy to read: At the top of the DM post, there's the resolution of all the crunchy mechanics from previous posts. Then I read the narrative response to what's happened and any new info introduced to the story, then at the bottom is the crunchy mechanics relevant to the new stuff introduced to the narrative..

It's also helpful for players to make rolls in advance - like stealth rolls 'just in case' the DM needs them but I've found it difficult to know when we might need to roll anything. And most of the rolls haven't really followed typical 5e rules so it's hard to anticipate what you might need.
You bring up some great points - including ones you’ve brought up before. Will keep working on it.

Let’s have everyone do a search check (not for the stairs) and a listen / perception check

Nordom

Explorer
You bring up some great points - including ones you’ve brought up before. Will keep working on it.

Let’s have everyone do a search check (not for the stairs) and a listen / perception check
Just wanted to reiterate the last sentence, in case anyone missed it

Remove ads