(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dealing with a stubborn security deposit box for Darrondar Gweth, [roll1]

Maybe because it's late, but I'm not quite following you here. What do you imagine this box to be and what kind of check do you mean by "dealing"?

The good news is, I'm going to do Lionel next! (Probably tomorrow, though.)

River Song

Explorer
I was referring to the Tavern also acting as a bank and Imagined there would be equivalents to secure boxes to hold belongings. The aforementioned box had a dodgy lock that Lionel had to use thieve's tools to open

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'd say it does both, (lets you do it, and gives you a bonus) just to keep all the tools working the same. Obviously, you have to actually HAVE the tools, as well.

I actually allow anyone to do anything even if they don't have tool proficiency, but they do have the tools. I've had way too many parties with no rogue, no thieves tools proficiencies, and no strength characters. How are you supposed to get past all the locked doors? So if you just go and buy a set of thieves tools, I let you try. You won't be as good as a rogue or Criminal or whatever other class/background gives you proficiency, but at least you have a chance, and if you're a high Dex build, you might have a decent chance.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So... everyone ready to go? I've been a bit busy lately, so if everyone is okay with waiting a little longer, I'd appreciate the patience, but if everyone's roaring to go, I'll try to get started ASAP. The one thing I don't want to have happen is for everyone to get busy doing other things and lose interest.

Ready to go when you are!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Just a suggestion: It is common practice to put links to the RG, OOC, and IC threads of a game at the top of the very first post in the OOC and IC. This allows players and GMs to easily find the needed related threads without digging through the forums.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
in77df.jpg

Angis Honack
Somewhere between Daggerford and Waterdeep
A week ago

The stretches of wilderness between Daggerford and Waterdeep weren’t the most dangerous stretch of the Trade Way, but they still required caravan guards. Even though he was the regional head of the Honack family’s Golden Way Trade Consortium. Consisting of sponsored caravans, waystations, and costers along the trade routes from Kara Tur to Waterdeep, based in Westage, the end of the Golden Way, it formed a vast guild of merchants and traders stretching from the Savage North to Shou Lung.

And to Angis’ bane, he was charged with the northern reaches of the company, from Waterdeep to Baldur’s Gate, and stretching up to resurgent Neverwinter. There was even talk of tapping the scrimshaw trade from Icewind Dale, though that would mean negotiating with the Ships of Luskan.

Despite being the nominal head of the company in Waterdeep, Angis knew to leave such business dealings to those smarter and with a better grasp of money. He was a humble dwarf, and felt more at home living in Daggerford, just a few days’ travel from Waterdeep. Caravans needing guards passed through frequently enough that he had little trouble signing on for trips in both directions when he needed to check in with the Waterdeep offices.

This is where he preferred to spend his time, out in the wilderness, away from people. As the hours passed, he occasionally reached inside his chain shirt and pulled out a small oilskin package. Inside was a delicate pink handkerchief tied off with a silk ribbon and still holding the scent of a lady’s perfume. Inside was a lock of fine, red-gold hair. He usually only pulled it out at night. He inhaled the familiar perfume a moment before tucking it back inside where it would be safe.

Much of guard duty is simple, boring watchfulness, and this run proved no different.

Perception: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21

Occasionally there was a bout of mundane excitement, such as when a wagon got stuck in the muddy road and had to be pushed out.

Athletics: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15

Thankfully on this run, there was no trouble. But that left listening to the Consortium’s steward in Waterdeep as he went over the business notes for the month and asked Angis for an evaluation of their plans for the next.

Insight: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8

Angis had little real desire and knowledge of such things. He was merely doing his duty as the younger son. He gave a few vague comments and trusted the steward’s judgement in such matters. He wanted to be back in Daggerford, and so the next morning he set out and strode into his rooms in the Silver Hood Inn. He took a wash before ending up at his favorite drinking spot, the Happy Cow Tavern.

[sblock=Angis’ Actions]
Move:
Action:
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 13/13 HD: 1/1d10

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
Tommi - human rogue
Lionel Hardcheese - halfling rogue
Dandin - halfling bard
Snake of Trees - tabaxi sorcerer
Enseth - warforged war cleric
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger
Titus - human fighter
Drui Holderhock - dwarven cleric of Tempus
[/sblock]

eayres33

Explorer
So Snake is going to try to become proficient in using the herbalist kit.

Snake will make a persuasion check to try to convince the best herbalist in town to help train him
Persuasion: 1d20+5 17

Then there will be a nature and survival check to actually gather materials and try to learn how us the herbalists kit. They seem the most relevant.
Nature: 1d20 19
Survival: 1d20+3 17

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just a suggestion: It is common practice to put links to the RG, OOC, and IC threads of a game at the top of the very first post in the OOC and IC. This allows players and GMs to easily find the needed related threads without digging through the forums.

Huh. Thought I had done that, but some of 'em were missing and some weren't working. Should be fixed now.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION], I have a Waterdhavian noble family in my home games with the last name of Bunting. Titus Bunting works pretty well with their naming convention (it started with a character named Hanibol Bunting - you could be his nephew.) The family are successful in just about everything they put their mind to, and have a philanthropic matriarch (she would be your Grandmother, Elespeth.)

Also, would you be upset if I made you play through a possible combat with 1 level of exhaustion? I was thinking of "punishing" that terrible con roll with it, and rewarding you in other ways to make up for it, but I'd expect you to still take part in the starter-encounter in spite of it. Personally, I like playing characters that succeed in spite of duress, but it's not for everyone.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So Snake is going to try to become proficient in using the herbalist kit.

This one I'm having trouble deciding how I want to handle. The PHB version costs 1gp per day and 250 days (so 250gp) to learn a tool or language. The UA playtest, costs 100gp per workweek, and "at least" 10 workweeks, reduced by 1 workweek per positive intelligence modifier (so really, "at most" 10 workweeks, not "at least"). so only 50 days, but 1000gp.

A fifth the time, but four-times the cost.

Meanwhile, I've made you roll checks, which neither of those required, and you did quite well. Also, I rarely see anyone use proficiency in nearly any tool (other than thieve's tools, obviously), but then again, I've revealed that I'm inclined to make tools much, much better than they are by the strict rules.

...so I have no idea how I want to handle this.

And... I've just been told to go to bed, so I will think on it and get back to you.

Remove ads