OOC : Shopping for magic items in...

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
We probably should have common guidelines for what can be bought at a moment's notice (during the adventure as opposed to between adventures)through the stores of the various locations, but most importantly from Daunton.

The subject came up in 6 Eagle Down. My spontaneous guideline was no magic items but any one-shot (consumables/potions/Whetsone etc.) items of the heroic tier.

The idea being that for a PC to buy a magic item within the hour, it implies that some nearby merchant had it in stock. I dare say the market for +2 flaming sword can't be that extensive that the local swordsmith keep a dozen of those stocked at all times... Never mind the dozens of other types of magic swords that exists, some of which are pretty specific in their intended market (Pact Longsword, anyone?).

I figured that if a PC wants to purchase a specific magic item, he either comission it from an enchanter NPC or tracks it down like one would track down a piece of art from a specific artist. All of this is elegantly handled by keeping it behind the scenes and between adventures. PCs can comment on how they acquired their new items at their discretion.

On the other hand, it makes more sense for one-shot items to be kept in stock and to be available during an adventure. But to what point? Just how magic heavy is Daunton? Surely buying half a dozen healing potions is easy, but what about half a dozen gem of valor?

Our adventures take place in the same locales, after all. It would be jarring for a PC to adventure in Daunton under two DMs and find wildly different ideas of what is commonly available and what isn't.

elecgraystone

First Post
I'd suggest a streetwise roll to find what you want in that hour if it's a spur of the moment thing. If you know the right people to talk to it shouldn't be that hard.

Also if someone is interested in buying an item, it's likely that they have shopped around for it before that 1 hour. If you saw that +2 flaming sword in a shop window and you were just saving up for it, an hour seems fine to run there, pay for it and get back.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I'd suggest a streetwise roll to find what you want in that hour if it's a spur of the moment thing. If you know the right people to talk to it shouldn't be that hard.

Depends on how you see it.

There are litterrally hundreds of possible magic items none of which are likely to be mass produced (Except maybe for the common one-shot items).

In fact, there are thousands. Consider that a lifedrinker longsword, broad sword, great sword, bastard sword, fullblade etc. are all distinct items.

There about 77 different weapons. Heavy blades have well over 60 different potential enchantment that are available for level 1 alone (More are unlocked as you increase level). And then you multiply all that by 6 (+1 to +6 enchantments)... We are talking almost 10 thousands potential combinations for weapons +1 and +2 alone. We can restrict that to just the most popular weapons and the most popular enchantment but we are still at about a thousand.

The odds are overwhelming, if you decide you want a +2 lifedrinker broadsword, that there isn't a single one available in all of Daunton!

So you commision one just for you but you can't buy it on the corner.

Unless we declare that Dauton has well over 500 000 people regularly buying powerful enchanted weapons, I just don't see how you can have magic weapons for open sale, except maybe bland +1 items. There is no market for it.

It was pretty much the same thing back when swords where in use: A crappy mass produced sword, you could get that by the dozens. A toledo steel sword perfectly balanced for your body size and forged by a master? Sure, but even if you got the gold, be patient. We have none in stock.

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I'd suggest some commonplace like in LEW, actually I believe a certain person playing here runs that shop:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-en-world/161885-shop-di-senzios-magical-shop.html

We are not quite to the point where people will start selling their items. A few more level for that.

But if we establish a general: 'Can't Buy magic items during an adventure' it could lead to an interesting: 'Unless they currently have what you are looking for at 'Daunton's Magical Emporium'.

elecgraystone

First Post
In fact, there are thousands. Consider that a lifedrinker longsword, broad sword, great sword, bastard sword, fullblade etc. are all distinct items.
Transfer enchantment also only takes an hour. So if you you find the enchantment you want and don't mind paying a bit extra, it isn't a problem. It's even better if YOU have the enchant. Rituals + gold + 1 hour = the item you want as long as you find someone high enough. Sounds like a good time for that streetwise check! ;)

And take me for example. I had almost enough for a pact blade before my current adventure. If I hadn't found one, I'm sure I've already looked for one and know where to go to get one when I found the extra @20gp I needed. It wouldn't have taken ME an hour to buy one. ;)

renau1g

First Post
Sure logically the D&D economy wouldn't have what you're looking for, however this is a high fantasy game with fireballing eladrin, teleporting gnomes, and summoned creatures from the Abyss, I don't think we should worry too much about restricting where or availability of an item if the PC has the money.

Oh, and my link wasn't suggesting to have one of the PC's make the items, but rather just suggesting to have something in place where there's a common magic item selling store.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Arg, my head is bursting. Really, really, don't like this. But that's out of my hand.

So how common should those NPC enchanters of various level be? If the PC has the ritual and the level, than it seems he can do it.

And if there are as many enchanters of high level as McDonald's, then I will have to relent and admit we can get whatever we want in just an hour.

But I am still thinking this should take place between adventures (unless you can do it yourself). Unless all these guys sit on their ass all day waiting for adventurers to come in their home/shop and are willing to oblige them on the spot because they had no other engament. And unless these guys are all set-up to accept large payments in jewels, platinum or letter of credits on the spot without needing to check for the real value.

So, I would say this still takes the better part of a day, or at least an afternoon. Not nearly as long as I thought, though.

But if we do accept it, I am still looking for a recommended fee for NPC's service. Any idea where to look?

Last edited:

Remove ads