• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC Sword of Valor, Wrath of the Righteous AP by MLeibrock and Scotley

Shayuri

First Post
Hehe, ok so I was about to have Thorn get all mad (and it's purely IC I assure you, OOC I am nothing but amused :)), but before I do, I'd like to just doublecheck one small thing.

Our army has no arcane spellcasters, yes? Besides us and perhaps one or two named NPCs? I was under the impression it was just a big gang of paladins, out to whomp some demon booty.

:)

Edit - Okay, went back and back and back, and found the scene where we were introduced to the troops. 100 level 4 paladins. Yep! Okay then.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
You are correct. You do have a wizard, cleric and a bard npc, but mostly your over-sized mythic party will have to be the artillery should you need it.

Shayuri

First Post
Bwuh...

Was it something I said?

This feels out of left field to me. There's nothing wrong with Banaq's build, and our army has all kinds of advantages against this opponent.

Do you want to talk about it, OOC? I know Thorn was being a hardass, but I the player didn't mean anything by it. :(

Leif

Adventurer
I have felt like Banaq is about as useful as t-i-t-s on a boar hog all along, and with us on our way to face foes with spell resistance out the wazoo, that is only going to get worse. I had assumed that we had recruited some spellcasters along with warriors. That was me making things up as I went along, hoping to write it into our story by force of repetition if nothing else. I was looking for something that I thought Banaq could do to make some sort of tangible contribution to our effort, because as things stand now, about all he will be able to do to our foes is bleed on them.

So that's why I was a little miffed that you jerked the rug out from under me when I was trying to make some sort of contribution to our effort. But, hey, no big deal. There'll be plenty of other games.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Well, okay...there's a few things there I want to address.

First, I never saw Banaq as being remotely useless. Not in-character, not out of it. Spell resistance is a thing that has many counters, especially for a mythic character. And demonic foes of often have it, but not usually at high levels. The demon we fought that night in camp was specifically designed to be very challenging. It was way over our normal CR. Don't take that fight as an example of a typical encounter.

Case in point - the current clash. Tieflings got zilch SR. :) Cultists, the same.

A flotilla of low level mages would have a lot more trouble with SR than you though. And they'd require a blocking unit to tank for them. And they'd get a handful of 'shots' before being done for the day. All in all, strategically, they'd probably be of limited value. Banaq himself, with his access to higher level spells, mythic goodness, and PC shine, could do more damage faster than a gaggle of magic missiles. In short, you ARE a mage battery. You don't need a crapton of apprentices. :)

Magic skews things. A hundred paladins is better than a single level 20 paladin. But a single high level mage is way better than a hundred low levels ones because of those save DCs, AoEs and caster level checks and other powerful spells. Magic scales differently, and favors experience quite a bit more.

Anyway, it's clearly your choice, and I respect that. I just hate to see you walk on what I believe are false premises. Banaq is important both mechanically and via RP. I also hate to think I had a hand in making you feel bad about your character and the game. I'd hoped for a kind of rivalry/frenemy type thing to develop between Thorn and Banaq...where they needle each other, but also kind of inspire each other to try harder, earning one another's grudging respect. :)

If I messed that up at the get-go, I take responsibility for it, but surely we can work something out.

Leif

Adventurer
For the sake of Scotley snd mlebrock, two of my bestest friends in the WHOLE WORLD, I do hate to miss out on the rest of this game. For the record, though, he still feels like a nipple ring on a boar hog to me, though. I'll have Banaq do an about-face IC and rejoin the expeditionary force, but NOT return to the PCs just yet.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Is there anything I can do to help solve that problem? About how you feel about Banaq, I mean.

I've been in games where I didn't like my character, and it's no fun. But if the root of the dissatisfaction can be addressed and solved, perhaps it can be salvaged for you?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads