OOC: The Enemy Within, using 4E

Dr Simon

Explorer
So, helping airwalkrr (and any of the rest of you who may feel at a loose end), here's a summary of the plot so far.

The initial trigger for adventure was a notice from Crown Prince Hals von Tasseninck calling for brave souls (but not dwarves) to join him on an expedition to the Gray Mountains. Whether to join the Crown Prince, or to remonstrate with his racist hiring policies, the adventurers were on their way to Altdorf.

En route they came upon chaos mutants attacking a coach, and discovered that one of the coach passengers not only looked just like one of their number, but that this identical twin was also apparently heir to a fortune. Some less scrupulous members elected to try to fraudulently claim this fortune from the named lawyers (Lock, Stock and Barl) in Bogenhafen.

In Altdorf, several things happened. The party found that they were too late to meet the Crown Prince, but they met with Josef Quartjin, a boatman and old friend of Garold, who was heading to Bogenhafen and offered them passage. Somebody also seemed to be keeping an eye on them, possibly trying to make contact via secret signs.

They were attacked twice. The first, in an inn, by drunk nobles and a paid thug out for some fun. Aaryn's magic saved the day with a minimum of violence. Later, they were followed by the same men who were signalling earlier, but these men were cut down by a mysterious assailant with a crossbow. In the morning it transpired that one of the drunken nobles had also gone on to get himself killed that night and, perhaps due to being mainly non-humans, the authorities were looking for the party as suspects. Time to leave Altdorf.

On the way to Bogenhafen, the party noticed a red-bearded man with a crossbow tailing them, who managed to lose them when the tables were turned. Later that night he attacked Josef's barge with a group of ruffians but, when fought to an impasse, revealed that he had mistaken one of the party for the dead look-alike, one Kastor Leiberung who, rather than being an upstanding citizen of the Empire was in fact a member of a chaos cult, the Purple Hand. The whole inheritance was a ploy by the red-bearded man, a bounty hunter named Adolphus, who was seeking Leiberung and members of the Purple Hand. On the basis that the Purple Hand might try to contact "Leiberung" in Bogenhafen, Adolphus charged the party with continuing to Bogenhafen whilst he went back to Altdorf to pursue leads there.

In Bogenhafen the party enjoyed that entertainments on offer at the Schaffenfest fair whilst Josef sold his cargo of wine. Aaryn won a wrestling match with the aid of magic, the dwarves freed a dwarf derelict from the stocks but got little gratitude for it, and then a three-legged goblin escaped from Dr. Malthusius's Zoocopaeia freak show. The party were offered money to go into the sewers and retrieve the creature.

What they found instead was a hidden temple and a demonic gaurdian, which had apparently also destroyed the goblin judging by the remains (a three-socketed pelvis) that were left. The demon was bound within a summoning circle which featured the name "Ordo Septinarius". The party removed a locked cabinet (which ultimately was ultimately shown to contain ritual implements for summoning and binding the demon) and a handkerchief, bearing the monogram "FS".

Scant clues indeed, but signs pointed towards the Merchants Guild of Bogenhafen. The Ordo Septinarius was, apparently, a charitable society run by the Guild members, a Guild run by the Teugen, Steinhager, Ruggbroder and Haagen families, a Guild with great influence on the Town Council. Coincidentally (?), the drunken dwarf from the stocks had last been seen in the company of a servant wearing the red-rose livery of the Teugen family, as the fair closed. The priestess directed further enquiries to the Merchants Guild Hall, over the road from the temple.

Hans, meanwhile, had determined that the inn where the party was staying, the Crossed Pikes, was in fact a safe house for the Thieves Guild, so far a useful resource for providing goods like a magical scroll for opening things.

Borrowing a map of the sewers from the Town Hall revealed that the temple, not marked on the official plans, seemed to lie beneath the offices of the Steinhager family. Although no way out of the temple had been seen the previous night, perhaps there was a connection between the two?

Questions That Need Answers:
-What does the Ordo Septinarius have to do with a chaos temple in the sewers, and is the Merchants Guild implicated?
-Is this related to the Purple Hand Cult and if not, does the Purple Hand have a presence in Bogenhafen?
-Who is FS, and how did his or her handkerchief end up in a chaos temple?
-Do the sewers hide any other secrets?
-Is it too late to catch up with Crown Prince Hals von Tasseninck?
-Where's the nearest bar?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Thanks for the summary, Dr Simon, but I have decided that I just really do not enjoy 4e enough to continue playing it. I suppose Aaryn will have to travel back to the elven kingdoms (or wherever they live in the WHFRPG) or something. Thanks for all your effort and letting me join you guys.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Walking Dad, yeah, probably a good idea since we're down 2 PCs now.

Airwalkrr, sorry to see you go, Aaryn was a fun character for leaping into trouble with both feet!

tiornys

Explorer
I'm interested in joining. I'll have a character submission tomorrow. I need some sleep, and also to figure out who's still active, and therefore what the group currently looks like :)

t~

tiornys

Explorer
[sblock=Lorena]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Lorena, level 2
Human, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Rogue Tactics Option: Cunning Sneak
Rogue Option: Scoundrel Weapon Talent
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Street Urchin (Street Urchin Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 12, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 15

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 12, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 15

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Ref: 18 Will: 14
HP: 29 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Athletics +6, Bluff +8, Intimidate +9, Perception +7, Stealth +10, Streetwise +9, Thievery +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +2, Heal +2, History +1, Insight +2, Nature +2, Religion +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Monk Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows
Rogue Attack 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Piercing Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Shadow Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Blinding Barrage
Rogue Utility 2: Tumble

FEATS
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Monastic Disciple

ITEMS
Dagger x2
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Thieves' Tools
Climber's Kit
Camouflaged Clothing
Footpads
====== End ======[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]Born and raised in the slums of Bogenhafen, Lorena and her half sister Katrina were abandoned to the streets at the ages of 14 and 8 when their mother died of a mysterious ailment (their fathers absent since long ago). To provide for her sister, Lorena turned to begging and theft. Soon, of course, she ran afoul of the Thieves Guild. Luckily, her aptitude impressed the guildmember sent to chastise her, and she was recruited instead. Life was good for Lorena and Katrina for a couple of years, until Katrina contracted a serious illness reminiscent of that which had killed their mother.

Lorena was able to find help for her sister at a temple of the Goddess of healing, Shallya. They were able to stabilize Katrina, but were unable to cure her illness. Keeping Katrina alive would require constant care from the church--and constant care meant a need for a constant flow of gold. The temple's request was honest--even generous--but Lorena would be hard pressed to provide for her sister on her income through the guild. Furthermore, the priestess in charge of Katrina's case was convinced that some kind of foul magic was behind the illness. With two goals in mind--raising gold for her sister, and investigating the cause of her illness--Lorena gained permission from the guild to operate on her own as a mercenary or adventurer. And as she begins asking around about dark magics, she hears of a group of travelers who have been investigating Incursions of Chaos....[/sblock]

Attachments

• Lorena.pdf
    273.5 KB · Views: 121

Dr Simon

Explorer
Looks good to me, and easy to integrate as well. As a favour, can you let me know which books the feats and powers are from to save me time searching? Ta.

tiornys

Explorer
Sly Flourish, Deft Strike, and Piercing Strike are all from the PHB. Blinding Barrage and Tumble are also from the PHB, but have been altered by errata or later printings. Shadow Strike is from Martial Power 2. Centered Flurry of Blows is from PHB 3.

Backstabber is from the PHB. Light Blade Expertise is in both Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms. Monastic Disciple is from PHB 3.

It occurs to me that I've made a character who plans to primarily use thrown weapons in a campaign where thrown weaponry might not automatically return to the user (standard 4E expects you to have a magical weapon early--I could easily buy one by level 2 if I made it a priority under standard wealth rules--and magical thrown weapons return themselves). Do I need to buy and carry an absurd number of daggers and consider Quick Draw as a near-required feat?

t~

Remove ads