[OOC] The Fifth City

Herobizkit

Adventurer
This campaign smells like it needs a Dwarven something-something. Perhaps Ranger. Without Unearthed Arcana, Urban Ranger is out, so what kind of jobs can a Island Ranger do?

I had originally pictured him as a Harbourmaster, being in charge of inspecting ships as they come in with trade goods and apprehending stowaways or Orcs (on principle) and the like.

I will need to re-read 3.x Rangers...

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
That sounds perfect. The city also sends out regular patrols, hunting for pirates and raiders and the like, as well as protecting in-coming merchant ships, dignitaries, etc.

Keep in mind that, unlike traditional D&D settings, orcs (well, mechanically half-orcs), gnolls, and several other "evil" races are more civilized and live in the city alongside humans, elves, and dwarves.

That said, dwarves and orcs barely tolerate each other after the orcs withdrew from a nearly 100 year occupation of the dwarven island during which they were less than kind to the dwarven people and their island. The dwarves are trade in gems, precious metals, and stone because the orcs stripped the island of arable soil and killed off most of the food animals on the island.

So, while there is a history of conflict between orcs and dwarves, they are currently at peace. A dwarf character is most likely to be working either for a dwarven merchant or the dwarven ambassador's delegation (this latter option will also provide more story opportunities).

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Huh, A dwarvin ranger who ships wild critters to re-pop the wildlife [not the bar kind of wildlife!] on the island? /brainstorm

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
From an in-world perspective, the dwarves are currently focused on rebuilding their military ability. The official reason is so they can defend themselves against any and all threats. A great many dwarves, however, want revenge on the orcs.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
In that sense, mah Dwarf could be one of those 'crooked cops' who always seems to find issues with Humanoid shipments...

Also, a Sea Ranger you say? That sounds delicious.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Conputer gfx card died on me, got a new one now, but still having issues with something clogging my cpu capacity. Technology... gah.

Anyway, the cleric looks all cool to me :)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I have just been laid off and am suddenly unemployed.

I'm going to put this game on a temporary hiatus until my situation is more stable. Please continue to work on your characters as I hope to get back to this soon.

Thanks.

Remove ads