[OOC] The First Age of Man

Shayuri

First Post
Oof...he said core only? I totally missed that!

Hm, but I've made no secret I was considering it, and he never said it wasn't allowed either.

Piston, what are your thoughts on this?

Does 'core only' mean we can only use the main Pathfinder book for character generation options?

Piston Honda

First Post
Oof...he said core only? I totally missed that!

Hm, but I've made no secret I was considering it, and he never said it wasn't allowed either.

Piston, what are your thoughts on this?

Does 'core only' mean we can only use the main Pathfinder book for character generation options?

Other classes are GM Discretion only, let me look it up and I'll get back to you, my familiarity with a lot of the later classes isn't the best, but the rule is more of a way to control classes that don't really fit into the campaign theme than anything.

Shayuri

First Post
Understood. I'll wait for your okay then. I have plenty of concepts to develop, so even if you nix it it there's no problem.

For what it's worth, the pathfinder SRD has all the relevant information in it.

Synthesist is one of the alternate class options presented down at the bottom of the entry.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Quick question - Can I reflavor one of the standard critters available as a witch's familiar into something more appropriate to the setting/campaign? Like a viviparous lizard with the same stats (and familiar benefits) as a standard toad?

Piston Honda

First Post
Understood. I'll wait for your okay then. I have plenty of concepts to develop, so even if you nix it it there's no problem.

For what it's worth, the pathfinder SRD has all the relevant information in it.

Synthesist is one of the alternate class options presented down at the bottom of the entry.

From what I'm reading, it's a potent and complicated class, but anything optimized can pack a serious punch. However, with this having the level cap and scarcity, you shouldn't get into God mode, I'm ok with it.

Piston Honda

First Post
I'm flabbergasted that a thought bubble on character options is going to make it into campaign lore! Doubly so as I didn't even go that route.

It was a neat concept, I'll be expanding on it a little, but I like things that can add to giving a different flavor to my campaigns. It'll be interesting to see what happens should you run across them. ;)

Shayuri

First Post
Piston, yeah, I've never played one but I can see why it could have gotten that reputation.

My initial build shows that the character is very powerful for a 1st level character, while the Eidolon is in play. Without the Eidolon, the character is limited to fairly weaksauce spells (useful mostly for buffing) and the Summon Monster ability which is useful, but not out of whack with what other casters of the level can do.

With the Eidolon, the character can do respectable damage, and has some pretty high defenses. Damage and AC are comparable to a well-built and equipped fighter of equal level. Effective hit points are quite high though, due to the Eidolon's contribution.

In theory this is balanced in part by the fact that the Eidolon can't be resummoned quickly if destroyed or dismissed, and precludes other summons while active. In this game, there's an additional limit of it being obviously unnatural, and inhuman, and all of the problems attendent to that (can't really walk around in a village with it summoned). That means the character can't always count on having it when it's needed.

I think it'd be interesting to see how it plays out, but I'd totally understand if you'd rather I went with something more conventional. I have concepts that make even a fairly vanilla-build ranger interesting enough for me to want to play. :)

Remove ads