• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS #362

ruleslawyer said:
Intelligence compared unfavorably with that of a table, actually.

My guess is Bluff, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, and (maybe) Intimidate, indicating an Int of 8... which is no way out of line, IMHO.

[Incidentally, IIRC, Craft Disturbing Mental Image is an "item creation" feat.]

I disagree. I think his Int is more like a 12. Sure he's not the smartest halfling out there (he admitted it himself
in the prequel comic
), but I liked how he played with Miko (eg setting her on fire). Being forced to fight at a disadvantage (eg Miko, the kobold when he was cursed to not kill anything, etc) shows his smarts. He has a very low Wisdom, however. (Too low to cast spells, and there's other evidence too.)

Durkon and Elan both strike me as possessing less intelligence than Belkar, but at least Durkon has Wisdom going for him. (Someone has to boost Roy's Wisdom. He doesn't have the standard Wisdom 12 or Charisma 8.)

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I disagree. I think his Int is more like a 12.

Recall that Vaarsuvius believes that Belkar only has a proto-brain, and he can only classify people into two groups:
1) Hate you
2) Lust after you

Not that V is necessarily correct...but Belkar may not be too smart.

kenobi65 said:
Recall that Vaarsuvius believes that Belkar only has a proto-brain, and he can only classify people into two groups:
1) Hate you
2) Lust after you

Not that V is necessarily correct...but Belkar may not be too smart.

Nah... I don't think the issue was Belkar's intelligence, but his world view. Animals don't have "friends" and neither does Belkar. He just has "lust" and "hate", or probably more accurately, "lust", "barely tolerate" and "hate". He hasn't killed any fellow party members yet.

(I don't count Miko. He didn't protect V on two occasions, but V is a mage and should try casting defensive spells for once. When I play a mage I don't expect a bodyguard.)

Joker said:
I think Haley is gonna profess her love to Nale.

I'm pretty sure she knows he's Nale already.

Pbartender

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
From the Giant in the Playground thread. (I think Haley's cryptogram was "It's Nale!")

"Holy :):):):)! It's Nale!" Ithink were the precise words.

However, she said that long before Nale was in disguise.

ruleslawyer

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Nah... I don't think the issue was Belkar's intelligence, but his world view. Animals don't have "friends" and neither does Belkar.
And animals also have Int 1 or 2.

IMHO, Belkar's toying with Miko and kobold shows much more of a sense of low animal cunning than actual Int.

iwatt

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
And animals also have Int 1 or 2.

IMHO, Belkar's toying with Miko and kobold shows much more of a sense of low animal cunning than actual Int.

I disagree. V's description of his protobrain could refer to his low Wisdom and Charisma.

Also, when the ilithid checks out the party's brains:

"Too angry, I'd get heartburn."

While Elan (clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed) get's:

"Next!"

I'd call his burning Sake trap, as well as his adventurer's at the tavern ploy more than clever.

I wonder what Elan himself will do though? He's just dumb enough to believe he really is Nale and act appropriately. Be hilarious if he turns out to be a more competent leader of the Linear Guild than Nale was.

Knight Otu

First Post
diaglo said:
Belkar can't even spot ninja goblins. and spot is a ranger skill.

i doubt he will even come close with a crossclass skill
Belkar recognized Roy while he was gender-swapped, however. A simple beard-gluing shouldn't fool him. ;) I'd bet (virtual) gold pieces that Belkar will approach "Elan" privately and ask "So, what's your big plan?" or something to that effect.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads