OotS 449

Gez

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
says you, he wasn't evil!
Personally, I dislike the "undead are evil, so good or neutral undead have to be a new creature type" approach that led to the Eberron deathless. (The BOED deathless are slightly different conceptually.)

Slife

First Post
Gez said:
Personally, I dislike the "undead are evil, so good or neutral undead have to be a new creature type" approach that led to the Eberron deathless. (The BOED deathless are slightly different conceptually.)
Especially since ghosts don't even have to be evil.

Ripzerai

Explorer
Slife said:
Especially since ghosts don't even have to be evil.

There are a lot of undead types that aren't required to be evil. The necropolitan from Libris Mortis, the archlich from Monsters of Faerun, and a number of others - I had a list once, but I don't feel like compiling it now.

There are a number of non-evil ways to use negative energy, and neither the Negative Energy Plane nor many of its natives are evil. There's no reason undead should be always evil - and the game says they aren't.

Slife

First Post
Ripzerai said:
There are a number of non-evil ways to use negative energy, and neither the Negative Energy Plane nor many of its natives are evil. There's no reason undead should be always evil - and the game says they aren't.
Unless you're trying to detect evil in game. Undead, even good aligned undead, still detect as evil.

More of a problem with detect evil itself, really. Personally, I think it should just show who/what the paladin's deity wants smitten.

shilsen

Adventurer
Slife said:
Unless you're trying to detect evil in game. Undead, even good aligned undead, still detect as evil.

More of a problem with detect evil itself, really. Personally, I think it should just show who/what the paladin's deity wants smitten.
Personally, I think of that as a feature rather than a bug. The ambiguity of Detect Evil (and there's a lot more uncertainty written into the spell than the undead issue) is one of the things that prevents Detect + Smite being a valid tactic.

Remove ads