• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 449

Gez

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
says you, he wasn't evil!
Personally, I dislike the "undead are evil, so good or neutral undead have to be a new creature type" approach that led to the Eberron deathless. (The BOED deathless are slightly different conceptually.)

Slife

First Post
Gez said:
Personally, I dislike the "undead are evil, so good or neutral undead have to be a new creature type" approach that led to the Eberron deathless. (The BOED deathless are slightly different conceptually.)
Especially since ghosts don't even have to be evil.

Ripzerai

Explorer
Slife said:
Especially since ghosts don't even have to be evil.

There are a lot of undead types that aren't required to be evil. The necropolitan from Libris Mortis, the archlich from Monsters of Faerun, and a number of others - I had a list once, but I don't feel like compiling it now.

There are a number of non-evil ways to use negative energy, and neither the Negative Energy Plane nor many of its natives are evil. There's no reason undead should be always evil - and the game says they aren't.

Slife

First Post
Ripzerai said:
There are a number of non-evil ways to use negative energy, and neither the Negative Energy Plane nor many of its natives are evil. There's no reason undead should be always evil - and the game says they aren't.
Unless you're trying to detect evil in game. Undead, even good aligned undead, still detect as evil.

More of a problem with detect evil itself, really. Personally, I think it should just show who/what the paladin's deity wants smitten.

shilsen

Adventurer
Slife said:
Unless you're trying to detect evil in game. Undead, even good aligned undead, still detect as evil.

More of a problem with detect evil itself, really. Personally, I think it should just show who/what the paladin's deity wants smitten.
Personally, I think of that as a feature rather than a bug. The ambiguity of Detect Evil (and there's a lot more uncertainty written into the spell than the undead issue) is one of the things that prevents Detect + Smite being a valid tactic.

Remove ads