OotS 449

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
After seeing all these OotS threads, I've finally started reading. And it's hilarious! But with everyone trying to read it tonight, I just can't load the site to read the back issues... :]

Seriously, though, can any of us really guess what Rich has up his sleeve for Weds?

Lay on hands doesn't matter. As long as a good portion of them died with +1 or better swords in hand, they can Smite Evil him to death* albeit at 50% efficiency. More amusing is that if he destroys them, they rejuvenate in 2d4 days. Since he needs to spend time studying the gate, he gets to fight them off over and over again.

* or at least hey-where-is-my-phylactery-now-like death.

SPoD

First Post
They are almost certainly not ghosts, in the MM sense. Undead in OOTS speak in black sppech balloons, Soon is speaking in blue.

They are probably some sort of custom Deathless, which means they can have whatever abilities Rich wants them to have, such as some sort of positive energy touch that specifically hurts undead or something.

And even if they aren't any stronger than they were before, they can now fly, ignore a wide variety of status conditions, and are lead by an epic-level paladin (and joined by an unknown number of other dead paladins).

So yeah, they're much more of a threat than before.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Pielorinho said:
Wow--awesome! I'm such a Burlew fanboy.

A couple notes:
1) All ghosts can manifest, and by doing so, they can use touch attacks. Things like Lay on Hands are touch attacks. Xykon can resist with a forcecage or similar effect, sure, but forcecages are a minimum 20' cube: trapping himself in a forcecage would mean trapping himself in a room with various angry paladin ghosts.
2) I don't see any cloaked figures among the ghosts. Hmmm.

Daniel

Cloaked guy's just behind Soon. (Edit: There are TWO cloaked guys behind Soon, in light and dark blue varieties!)

That was cool, but still kind of a sad fate for the Guard. It's got me waiting anxiously for the next one, though. :)

Last edited:

Grog

First Post
Celebrim said:
However, as Kelleris reminds me, there magical weapons do have at least a chance of hitting Xykon so its not as much of a slaughter as I initially thought it would be.

They're still slashing weapons against DR 15, though. And ghosts probably don't have much of a Strength bonus.

Soon might be a challenge, but I don't think most of the rest will be.

SPoD

First Post
Grog said:
They're still slashing weapons against DR 15, though. And ghosts probably don't have much of a Strength bonus.

Why wouldn't they? If they are ghosts, they'd have the same ability scores as in life, with Charisma +4. (Which, of course, gives them all another +2 to their saving throws.)

But more to the point: Can't we just admit that we have NO IDEA what their stats are now, and that if Rich wants them to win, they'll win, and if he doesn't, they won't???

amazingshafeman

First Post
Brent_Nall said:
Hm . . . no, I think that's more shock/disbelief/uncertainty . . . maybe fear . . . at least that's the way I see it.

Yeah, you wouldn't think a stick figure skull is expressive enough to say "I pooped myself," but it certainly does in that panel.

Remove ads