Open-Minded Adventurers Wanted for Extravagant Planes-Hopping!

Kelleris

Explorer
Ferrix said:
I'm thinking along the lines of a straight human monk of some kind.

Amazing! Someone who can resist the siren's song of novelty! :D

Sollir, the device design guidelines are below. If you want fewer, more powerful devices you will probably be upgrading a lot of them. It's kinda free-form right now, though; just see how many metamagic levels it would be and ask me. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I feel like I've got a dozen things to work on at once.

My desire to play had gotten the best of me when I started recruiting. :p I'm kinda hoping that once we all have workable characters I can finish everything else up behind the scenes. Unfortunately, that means that you'll likely need to ask me lots of questions. Sorry about the dust and "Under Construction" signs, anyway.

Dromus Prep Thread said:
I let you make them, and then approve them and add them to my ever-growing list of devices to choose from. I'll be available for contact here and via e-mail if you need any help, and if you're truly pressed for time I can do this part for you if you can give me a general idea of what you want each device to do.

The rules are pretty simple. I'm attaching a rough spell effects classification chart - it lists various basic spell effects, and rates them according to the Wizard's, the Cleric's, and the Technologist's ability to manifest that particular effect. For instance, if an effect has a 2 for Technologists, a 1 for Clerics, and a 3 for Wizards and you have a Wizard spell in mind you want to use as the base of the device's effect, you would increase the "spell level" by 1 to make up for a technologist's slightly-reduced ability in that area. If it had been a cleric spell, you would have instead reduced the spell level by 1 for this purpose. Zeroes are a special case: they represent minus 3 levels, basically things that that character class just can't do (Wizards and healing spells, for instance).

Once you have a phantom spell level, price it as below, and see what type of device selection will be required:

1st level - 5 (gadget)
2nd level - 10 (gadget)
3rd level - 15 (gadget)

4th level - 15 (technology)
5th level - 30 (technology)
6th level - 45 (technology)

7th level - 45 (artifact)
8th level - 90 (artifact)
9th level - 135 (artifact)

The numbers up there, from 5 to 135, are the costs for activating an instantaneous effect at that level. If it instead has a duration, divide that number by 5 to find the per-time unit cost. Technologist devices do not have per-level durations - they have a time unit (1 round, 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1 hour) and must be paid for as a swift action to keep them going.

Upgrades are like metamagic feats from the PHB/SRD - gadgeteer upgrades are +1 levels, technologist upgrades +2 levels, and artificer upgrades +3 levels.

Whew. That's the, uh, short version.

EDIT: Removed the attached documents. They're in the Rogue's Gallery thread, here.

Last edited:

Kelleris

Explorer
Ferrix said:
I'm thinking along the lines of a straight human monk of some kind.

While I'm thinking about it, I should mention that Monks are slightly different in terms of their relationship with other classes in this context. In the form of an analogy:

Monk is to Ascetic as Paladin is to Cleric

If you have Unearthed Arcana and/or Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook your monk can take a style that allows him or her to develop psychic powers. The Ascetic is a GR Psychic modified to match up better flavor-wise (removed anything I thought didn't fit the flavor well enough).

Jolmo said:
Talwan Berley

You might want to reconsider this name if you aren't committed to it too strongly. Caelder names tend to have a norse/celtic sound to them. It's no big deal, though; up to you. Foreign-sounding names could very well have been fashionable when your character was born.

Zerth

First Post
This looks very interesting. I have to read all the documents closer, but count me in as a potential player.

This is an awesome setting. I'd like to submit a Yesheveran human Sorcerer with the hag bloodline. I'll post back when I have something ready. Very cool. I may steal some of your house rule stuff for my home campaign too.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Argh! The classes are out to get me. The technologist abilities.doc doesn't open. But the example devices does. Also the email made no difference. All I can say is it says the program performed an illegal operation, when I attempt to open those two docs.

Zerth

First Post
I've finished reading all the stuff and I have to say I liked it. Your house rules are great. No, not great, simply awesome.

As for my character concept, I'm thinking about making a Fighter2/Sorcerer4 combo with two levels already taken in the Spellsword PrC (from Complete Warrior). Demon bloodline for the sorcerer levels, but the character would not be evil, probably neutral.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I am quite intrigued by your homebrew, and have an idea of what I would like to be. I would like to be a maened wilder from Kelluna, in service to one of the Powers... whoever intrigues her at the time.

Jolmo

First Post
Kelleris, I'll think of a new name, I just came up with the old name while I posted the character so no big deal.

Would it be possible with a masterwork component for increasing the parry-bonus with a weapon?

[edit] Any suggestions for languages? Which of them might a lesser noble from Caeldwyste have encountered? [/edit]

rangerjohn, I resaved the two docs as txts for you, and the formating didn't suffer too much, at least it should work now..

Attachments

• Classes in Dromus.txt
    41 KB · Views: 108
  • Technologist Abilities in Dromus.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Remove ads