Opponents File

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Stefan, while working on a new themed encounter table, I noticed a few errors in the Opponents file. Maybe its because I'm a rules lawyer (yes, I admit it), but I thought you might like the heads-up. :)

Human Rogue - While Weapon Finesse is a Rogue's best friend, they don't qualify for it until second level as it requires a +1 BAB. I'm giving them Mobility instead until you say otherwise, and then they get Weapon Finesse at Level 3.

Also, you've got Disable Device tagged to DEX and Search tagged to WIS. According to the SRD they are both tagged to INT. I've only checked the humans for this one, but it may apply to other races as well.

Human Wizard - You forgot to update skill points at levels 3 & 5, so this error cascades through all the higher levels. As much as I like having weaker opponents :D, I'd like to be fair to the poor clods I'll be killing and give 'em everything they're entitled to. (So I can feel that much more superior! ;) )

BTW, I'll post the encounter table as soon as I finish it. Its APL 2 and based on the idea that the Be Quick or Be Dead and Rescue Mission prisoners are being ransomed by the local thieves' guild who hide in the sewers. (The basic dungeon generator tables even have a purpose in the City. :p :cool: )

OK . . . its done. Take a look. In addition to the .RTF, this time I've included the .ODT file that I actually use to make the opponents file.

Attachments

• Be Quick or Be Dead, APL 2.rar
    29.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Flyspeck23

First Post
Skarn Rapajya said:
Stefan, while working on a new themed encounter table, I noticed a few errors in the Opponents file. Maybe its because I'm a rules lawyer (yes, I admit it), but I thought you might like the heads-up. :)
Of course I do. Thanks!

The Opponents RTF was a pain in the behind to put together. I wanted as many humanoid opponents with class levels as possible (as the MM/SRD doesn't feature any). Guess at the end it was too many ;)

Skarn Rapajya said:
BTW, I'll post the encounter table as soon as I finish it. Its APL 2 and based on the idea that the Be Quick or Be Dead and Rescue Mission prisoners are being ransomed by the local thieves' guild who hide in the sewers. (The basic dungeon generator tables even have a purpose in the City. :p :cool: )

OK . . . its done. Take a look. In addition to the .RTF, this time I've included the .ODT file that I actually use to make the opponents file.

Aaaah, the sewers... a city's dungeon :)
(The dungeon generator plus encounter tables will be used in DB:Urban for exactly that.)

I'll post your table on the DB site ASAP.

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Flyspeck23 said:
The Opponents RTF was a pain in the behind to put together.
I've come to understand just how much of a pain. If I hadn't already posted a 5-Star review on RPGNow, I'd turn around and try to post a 6-Star review now that I've put together a few smaller opponents files myself.

Flyspeck23 said:
I wanted as many humanoid opponents with class levels as possible (as the MM/SRD doesn't feature any). Guess at the end it was too many ;)
Never too many. More! More! ;)

Flyspeck23 said:
I'll post your table on the DB site ASAP.
So, can those of us who are interested coax you into revealing a tally of DB points? :cool:

Flyspeck23

First Post
Skarn Rapajya said:
I've come to understand just how much of a pain. If I hadn't already posted a 5-Star review on RPGNow, I'd turn around and try to post a 6-Star review now that I've put together a few smaller opponents files myself.
And that wasn't the only daunting task in designing DB. And the expansions are equally as tough to do (which is one of the reasons they're not out yet).

Skarn Rapajya said:
Never too many. More! More! ;)
Oh, of course. Both expansions and all web-enhancements will feature at least a few new opponents.

Skarn Rapajya said:
So, can those of us who are interested coax you into revealing a tally of DB points? :cool:
Sure:
Bruce Paris - 4
Sean Torrens - 9
aicore - 1
Jacob L. Lemmons - 2 (plus 1 obviously ;) )
dreece542 - 2
Jeff Greening - 1

There's still time to make the top place though. A few pictures can go a long way...

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Getting Back to Opponents.RTF Errors

Stefan, you gave Human Clerics 2 Skill Points/Level with 8 @ 1st. They only qualify for 1 / Level & 4 @ 1st due to an 8 INT (-1).

I think since they've got Combat Casting that I'll put 1 point each into Spellcraft & Knowledge (Religion), rather than leave them ignorant. (Unless and until you specify otherwise).

So far, the biggest bloopers I've found are with skill points for various leveled humanoids. Pretty impressive considering the amount of work involved. :)

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Human Fighters

The Human Fighter 1 has skills that come out almost perfectly; 4 points in Swim, 2 each in Climb and Jump, STR 15 (+2), and Scale Mail armor (-4 penalty) would produce Climb +0, Jump +0, and Swim -2 (listed on Opponents.RTF as Swim +0; Armor penalties count double for swim).

Human Fighter 2 was given +1 rank in all three skills when he only qualifies for 2 skill points (INT 10). Putting one point each into Climb and Swim, with his new Breastplate (also a -4 penalty) produces corrected values of Climb +1, Jump +0, Swim -1.

Human Fighter 3 upgraded to Full Plate (-6 penalty), yet the Opponents file shows all three skills at +8. Putting one point each into Jump and Swim would produce corrected values of Climb -1, Jump -1, Swim -4.

I also noticed that you didn't use the standard Elite Array for these characters. Instead of {15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8}, they have {15, 14, 13, 10, 9, 8}. Unless and until told otherwise, I'll be increasing the WIS from 9 to 12 to reinforce the course you took with giving them Iron Will at 3rd Level.

Also, Full Plate at L3 takes him to a Medium Load (-3 penalty), which further reduces his skills to Climb -4, Jump -4, Swim -10.

And NONE of these entries takes into account his shield (-2 penalty), which further reduces all of his skills.

Last edited:

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
OOPS. I keep forgetting about the +1 Skill bonus that Humans get. So the fighters DO get full ranks in all 3 skills, but the armor check penalties still need to be accounted for.

Corrected, with Shield:

Human Fighter 1: Climb +0, Jump +0, Swim -6
Human Fighter 2: Climb +1, Jump +1, Swim -5
Human Fighter 3: Climb +0, Jump +0, Swim -8
Human Fighter 4: Climb +2, Jump +2, Swim -6

(I only WISH I was infallable. :))

Last edited:

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Gnoll Rangers

I noticed that the Gnoll Ranger 5 shows Studded Leather +1, but he's only getting +3 AC from it. This trend of shortchanging his AC by 1 goes back to the Gnoll Ranger 2 who only gets +2 from his Mwk Studded Leather, and continues through ALL subsequent Gnoll Rangers.

Remove ads